Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: To Serve Man  (Read 2062 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To Serve Man
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 12:37:46 am »

Maybe it's just the paranoid cynic in me, but "black peppre" would have been a typo. "Black people" looks more like a publicity grab.

Either that or the error was made unconsciously, as the author was thinking about eating black people.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 12:40:32 am »

Maybe it's just the paranoid cynic in me, but "black peppre" would have been a typo. "Black people" looks more like a publicity grab.

Either that or the error was made unconsciously, as the author was thinking about eating black people.

My guess is they were using a spell checkers suggested corrections without looking very carefully.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 12:42:19 am »

he could have typed 'peo' instead of 'pep' and had his mind fill in the blanks. Surely if the 'o' wasn't as close to the 'p', it wouldn't have happened.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 03:46:15 am »

I clean up a spambot mess, and kinda got carried away.  If I deleted a relevant post post, I apologize.  (whoops!)
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 03:49:12 am »

Nothing much. Apparently Phantom knows that black people taste smokey?

Is this all people or just black people specifically? And again, how do you know?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 04:24:17 am »

I love how the editor just doesn't care.

"Yeah. Whatever. Not an issue, really," he says, wiping some African 'spices' off his lip.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 04:47:36 am »

I get the feeling it was a joke or something, but someone forgot to edit it out. It's not unlikely to accidentally type words that are completely different if they start and end the same. Like I would possibly type "a big house" rather than "a fast horse" if I was not concentrating. It's entirely possible that the author was more used to typing "black people" than "black pepper", and it's just a reflex thing.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 05:05:39 am »

In the end,typo or intentional publicity,It's not a big deal.Far more important things to make a fuss about than a cook book.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 07:58:21 am »

In the end,typo or intentional publicity,It's not a big deal.Far more important things to make a fuss about than a cook book.

You've obviously never paid attention to human society.  ;)

Funny thing is, the collector value of an original print of this cookbook just went up considerably.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 10:04:36 am »

Someone's gotta ask:

How good is the recipe with ground black people?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 11:37:17 am »

Pretty decent, but it needs some seasoning

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 11:40:37 am »

This is like, one of those things were, how could anybody even fucking notice that, much less give a shit?

Besides, if this was like a Pygmy Cookbook or something it'd make perfect sense.  Except the Pygmy cookbook would probably call for ground white people, seasoned with monocles and pith helmets.

People care because getting unreasonably angry about stuff like this is a great way to alleviate some of your White Guilt.

Anyway, I can't believe no one's made a "the other white meat" joke.
Shoes...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 11:45:13 am »

It's about a bunch of aliens that come down to earth and help all the humans with their super alien technology but are actually only doing that so they can eat us later. Some humans decipher the title of the book that is being handed out to all the alien ambassadors and it's called "To Serve Man". At first they think it means serve as in servant but it turns out it means serve as in prepare as food.

I love how SOMEHOW they manage to translate the name of the book into a double-entendre without knowing what it originally meant? How the hell does that happen, anyway? Does the same double-entendre exist in the alien language too?

Seriously, I love the old The Twilight Zone, but the linguistics in that episode were about on par with the worst Dan Brown could ever throw at you.

I mean, think about it. You've got some alien phrase that means "To serve man [to someone as food]". How in the name of God do you get "to serve man" in English out of that, yet without knowing what the original text actually meant? The entire episode managed to treat the alien language as some kind of substitution-cipher of English, like it was the exact same language but with different letters or something.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 01:52:28 pm »

I'm positive that the "typo" was put in there on purpose by someone just for the lulz. Why am I so sure? Because that's way funnier.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 02:50:03 pm »

This thread should be renamed, "What you could have done with $18,000."

Meh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3