Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Flying antmen now? Wha?  (Read 3340 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flying antmen now? Wha?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 05:56:41 pm »

heard that they can poison their weapons. so while your dwarf might get 1 wooden dart that might bruise his muscle, he might also die in 1 or 2 minutes from the poison (that i don't think you can know is there)

Well from what I hear that is how it will work in the future. Right now we have no such thing, they just shoot wooden sticks.

Wrong. Animalmen currently use blowgun darts coated in venom that poisons dwarves when hit. (Examine the ammo in their inventory to see if they've poisoned their ammo. If they have, it will have a "cave spider venom coating" or similar.
You know it just went real when you have a squad of 40 antmen shooting darts coated in GCS venom all over your dining room.

Seriously, anyone have confirmation on this, one way or the other? I know simply using toxic materials won't work, but a liquid covering could certainly do it..

Anyone have any ideas how to poison dwarf ammo? Store it in a really bloody room?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 06:25:34 pm »

The antmen definitely poison their weapons.  The ones that attacked me (err, I attacked) had cave spider venom on them.

How we can poison weapons is another thing entirely.  The poison seems to be treated as a "contaminant" just like blood and vomit, so presumably if you had weapons dumped in a pool of venom that would do it.  We can extract venom already, but how to make it into a pool...

I think I'll start experimenting on my DFM3 map, I've got a captured GCS...mm, pools of GCS venom in the fortress should be Fun!
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 07:54:18 pm »

Unfortunately, liquid contaminants aren't too keen on spreading to "lone" items.  You can drop them into pools, pour stuff on them, nothing...

However, cloud-type contaminants (vapors, dust) are more than willing to spray themselves onto any and all nearby items.

Theoretically, you could poison ammunition by using a custom reaction to create a lump of some poisonous material that boils at room temperature, and just exposing the ammunition to the cloud.

Mind you, if the toxin can afflict dwarves as well, then this is kinda nasty for whoever performs the reaction.  ...and also whoever picks up the ammo.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 08:28:41 pm »

heard that they can poison their weapons. so while your dwarf might get 1 wooden dart that might bruise his muscle, he might also die in 1 or 2 minutes from the poison (that i don't think you can know is there)

Well from what I hear that is how it will work in the future. Right now we have no such thing, they just shoot wooden sticks.

Wrong. Animalmen currently use blowgun darts coated in venom that poisons dwarves when hit. (Examine the ammo in their inventory to see if they've poisoned their ammo. If they have, it will have a "cave spider venom coating" or similar.
You know it just went real when you have a squad of 40 antmen shooting darts coated in GCS venom all over your dining room.

Seriously, anyone have confirmation on this, one way or the other? I know simply using toxic materials won't work, but a liquid covering could certainly do it..

Anyone have any ideas how to poison dwarf ammo? Store it in a really bloody room?
As far as -men using poison, this should confirm it for you.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 08:33:20 pm »

Ok, so they're clearly poisioning their weapons.
Is the poison actually working? i.e., does it take effect?

Also, you could just do it by storing your ammo near where you dump magma on an item. Test with gnomeblight, anyone?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 10:24:12 pm »

Well, my dwarves get really dizzy when they get shot.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 12:21:15 am »

Yeah, contaminated weapons are perfectly capable of getting people sick.  I tested this out by splashing poison on a cougar, killing the cougar, and then whacking some wolves with the cougar's body.

Science marches ever onwards...

As for dumping stuff into magma, you might encounter some issues with that.  The material needs to boil, smoke won't cut it.  Most items dumped into magma will simply dissolve into generic smoke, bypassing the gaseous state entirely.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 12:27:01 am »

one could try the drop approach where you drop barrels on to the weapons still better off getting military dwarfs to wear gloves at all times though to protect themselves from the toxins.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 12:41:22 am »

Liquids still really aren't that great at contaminating other items.  You can toss items into pools, toss pools onto items, whatever...  It won't spread.  It's more than capable of transferring to creatures, but it's not keen on getting smeared onto items.  There may be a way to get liquids to contaminate items without massive collateral spreading (such as with vapors), but...

This discussion has piqued my interest.  I think I'm gonna see what I can do with some custom reactions.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2010, 04:29:38 pm »

And, technically, it's also not a bug.  It's an insect.

Technically, bugs are insects, although not all insects are bugs.  (But ants are non-bug insects).

[/pedant]
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 10:57:16 pm »

Poisoneering plan A

Custom reaction, make a block of poisonous material at least liquid at cave temperature, but boils in direct sunlight.  Set up workshop undergound, quantum pile weapons and poison block, then mine top of chamber for sunlight.  Wait for mid summer, wait for cooler winter.  Make sure the squad that picked up the weapons doesn't run back outside.

Also consider: bin made out of the contaminate material, that merely melts, see if storage will transfer to contents.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 11:12:29 pm »

I dug vertically into the caverns and the first thing that happened was three bat-spear-men flying through 10 or so z-levels upwards, chasing my miner around the map until my axedwarf got around to chopping them up. Deary me.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2010, 11:31:50 pm »

Poisoneering plan A

Custom reaction, make a block of poisonous material at least liquid at cave temperature, but boils in direct sunlight.  Set up workshop undergound, quantum pile weapons and poison block, then mine top of chamber for sunlight.  Wait for mid summer, wait for cooler winter.  Make sure the squad that picked up the weapons doesn't run back outside.

Also consider: bin made out of the contaminate material, that merely melts, see if storage will transfer to contents.

that gives me an idea for a trap using boiling points of rocks to give poisonous effects when hauled outside.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 11:54:44 pm »

I don't know any methods of poison, but set some booze on fire next to your ammo stockpile and have your archers use the bolts REALLY FAST.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2010, 06:47:51 am »

While not effective as a weapon. What about that underground blob-animal-thing that gives you blisters when touching it?

If you captured one and set him free in the ammo stockpile .. ?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4