Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poisonous Metal  (Read 945 times)

Shidoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poisonous Metal
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:39:22 pm »

I've been looking into the Syndrome features of the new release, and for the moment all discussion (that I have found) of inorganic Syndromes has focused on inorganics which are poisonous even to be around (like uranium or asbestos). The discussion so far indicates that the only way to get inorganic poison into a creature is via explosion (inhaling gas). What I've been wondering is, if you can get a material to touch blood, could it enter the body that way?

Say, for example, my dwarves make a battleaxe out of cobalt. Cobalt is very poisonous, and I could create a Syndrome entry for it when I created the metal. The dwarf holding the axe would not be affected (it's not a contact poison) but any creature whose skin was pierced by the weapon would, ideally, be poisoned.

Does this work in the current Syndrome system, or should I wait for a later release?

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
Re: Poisonous Metal
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:46:31 pm »

it dosnt work yet there have been tests to make toxic bolts but they don't do anything even if there stuck in. however if you want to weaponize toxins just make a trainable war creature thats very weak and make it drop a stone that has a syndrome attached that boils at room temp. that way it chases enemies and is then killed and poisons them with the vapors
may your lċnem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 03:49:24 pm »

My idea for weaponized toxins (untested) was to make a material that boils at just-above room temperature, then store it in a trap room and pour magma on or near it.

Actually, you could make the "trap room" be the same as "trade depot" and "toxin" be "Fast acting elf rot"
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 03:53:51 pm »

Sadly, all my tests have indicated that solid-state materials can't do diddly.  You need to make it either boil into a vapor or melt into a liquid before it can contaminate a person.  When I was working with bolts, the stuff did absolutely nothing even after I'd turned the "test subjects" into pincushions and then taken direct control of them to prevent them pulling out the bolts.

Something just occurred to me though...  It may be possible to infect creatures through the use of cave-ins.

Cave-ins in this version generate a large amount of dust, which is actually tracked and generated by the stone involved, instead of just the generic "dust" of previous versions.  This means that walls, floors, and creatures can get a coating of dust.

If the stone happens to be a contact poison, it may be possible that the creature will start developing symptoms.  I haven't tested this however, it's purely theoretical.

EDIT:  FreakyCheeseMan, temperature-activated toxins can be a little tricky, seeing as temperatures in this version seem to be a little...  Odd.  I would set it at just under magma temperature, rather than just above room temp.  Even underground, there are some weird temperature variations.

Also, I have no idea what temperature magma heats adjacent squares to...  That would be your best bet, provided it isn't too close to the normal temperature range.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 03:56:00 pm »

Also, I have no idea what temperature magma heats adjacent squares to...  That would be your best bet, provided it isn't too close to the normal temperature range.

If stuff boils in magma, does it still release gas, or is the gas somehow destroyed?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 03:56:31 pm »

whenever i try to bump a stone into lava or vise versa the vapor dosnt go far enough to affect anyone thats why i have toxic war kittens they die easy and the longterm paralisis and heart faliure along with massive bleeding and rapid necrosis
1. Start DF
3. Pass Out.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 04:07:04 pm »

If stuff boils in magma, does it still release gas, or is the gas somehow destroyed?

Ah, uh...  I'm actually not sure.  Theoretically speaking, the material will just get heated up to its boiling point and then change states, whereupon it will float away and disperse.  It might be possible that liquids "trap" vapors, but if you're working with one Z-level of magma then I wouldn't be too concerned.  Considering smoke can float up from stuff burning in a single Z-level, I would assume that vapors should work properly.  Just make sure you've got all the material temperature tags worked out.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 04:12:36 pm »

the problem is the boiling stone dosnt release that much vapor and generaly you have to channel down to contain the magma that way when you drop in the stone most of the vapor is trapped in the channel and dosnt raise up to the next z-level where you want it to go thats why its easier to create a way to spawn a stone that boils at room temp also heat is extreemly weird in this version
1. Start DF
3. Pass Out.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 07:35:55 pm »

Has anyone tried creating something that melts between body temperature and ambient temperature and seeing if it melts upon becoming stuck into a target? Testing this will probably require creating a cold-blooded creature to wield the weapon though to avoid premature melting, or attacking a creature with a high body temperature.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 07:52:28 am »

Wouldn't the [SYN_CONTACT] Tag work?
I've just finally finished re-creating my Greater Demon creature and it's blood is extremely poisonous to anyone who walks over it without shoes on.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 10:01:28 am »

Wouldn't the [SYN_CONTACT] Tag work?
I've just finally finished re-creating my Greater Demon creature and it's blood is extremely poisonous to anyone who walks over it without shoes on.

Blood is a contaminant, and right now the game only checks for poisonous materials on contaminants (including injections) and vapor/gas flows.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!