Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: RAGE Virus (and more syndromes in general)  (Read 2660 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RAGE Virus (and more syndromes in general)
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 11:31:00 pm »

Now, because animals don't have happiness, I'd be happy with just a "berserk"/"melancholy" temporary (by this I mean set by duration) effect.
Actually, animals do have a sort of pseudo-happiness that allows them to go insane under very special circumstances. For example, if you've ever trapped an elven caravan in the depot before you'd notice that the pack animals will go insane just as fast as their handlers.

Also, how would blood contact cause a dwarf to contract a disease? Certainly if he ingested it he would get sick, but does illness soak through the skin or something?

That's... exactly what it does, actually, at least in DF. Syndromes can be inject, inhale or contact- first requires a bite, second requires a gas, third just requires you touch the liquid in question.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 12:19:26 am »

I guess dorf skin really is semi-permeable.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 07:14:03 am »

rabies should be transferred via bite, and have all sorts of nasty consequences, such dwarves not drinking eventually, suffering pretty much consistant negative thoughts, bouts of insanity, of both the rage and the sad kind.
Most rabies should end with a dead dwarf despite the best attempts of your doctor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 05:10:57 pm »

rabies should be transferred via bite, and have all sorts of nasty consequences, such dwarves not drinking eventually, suffering pretty much consistant negative thoughts, bouts of insanity, of both the rage and the sad kind.
Most rabies should end with a dead dwarf despite the best attempts of your doctor.

That kind of specificity would be hard to program, I believe... the cool thing about a handful of mental symptoms is you can mix them together through modding (without putting Toady to any work), and get a whole, rich host of new ways for dwarves to die.

Or kill elves.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 10:39:03 pm »

I do wish that anything killed by a zombie would become a zombie. 

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 10:43:46 pm »

I do wish that anything killed by a zombie would become a zombie. 
Slow necrosis and berserk, and you're *most* of the way there.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 08:51:48 pm »

yeah, but you don't get beserk yet :(

my modded zombie causes pretty much everything in small amounts, with full body necrosis, and blood puking and coughing seriously, as to spread the infection! that's the best I can do so far!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 12:37:11 pm »

yeah, but you don't get beserk yet :(

my modded zombie causes pretty much everything in small amounts, with full body necrosis, and blood puking and coughing seriously, as to spread the infection! that's the best I can do so far!

I don't think that works just yet. The coughed or vomitted blood should just be normal dwarf blood, I don't think it will bear the infection at all.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 08:15:38 pm »

damn..wel.. we need beserk and for the primary weapon to be bite.. then we'll have our virus! whether its rabies or zombies!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »

damn..wel.. we need beserk and for the primary weapon to be bite.. then we'll have our virus! whether its rabies or zombies!

Primary bite weapons might be a bit much to ask for, but I did have one idea- if we can trigger different mental states, then "Stark Raving Mad" should make them drop their inventory, then "Berserk" will cause them to attack people unarmed, which should include bites.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 10:13:44 pm »

oh yeah, thats a good idea! it'd be a pretty accurate sequence of events too! lol

lets hope toady agrees! and we get some support!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 06:34:29 pm »

I really hope he adds to it soonish. There's a *lot* of cool things to be done with Syndromes. I mean, rage, yes, infection, yes, but that's still being small minded.

You could make an untameable creature that releases a gas that causes dwarves to have happy thoughts, so there'd be value in trying to force your dwarves to go near it, or make it so unicorn blood heals wounds, or... damn near anything, really. A nightmare gaseous beast that sneaks into your fortress breathing a gas that causes melancholy? A non-aggressive thief whose trailing gas cloud knocks dwarves out? Actually, that last one we could do already...

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 01:13:04 pm »

Insanity causing gas, real zombies, infectious blood... I like where this thread is going :D
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 01:49:51 pm »

Maybe there should be a way to force a certain creature to develop a disease at specific or unspecific points in it's lifetime? We could give elves a small chance to go stark raving mad (or crazy/ill to a lesser degree) once a year after a certain age. Make them suffer for their immortality.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 04:46:25 pm »

Maybe there should be a way to force a certain creature to develop a disease at specific or unspecific points in it's lifetime? We could give elves a small chance to go stark raving mad (or crazy/ill to a lesser degree) once a year after a certain age. Make them suffer for their immortality.

I like.

Actually, after a while I think that plague should be something that just happens to your fortress, like siege. Maybe have some method of introduction- traders, animals, invaders or the water supply would be good- but really, not *that* much realism would be lost if you just said that there's an x% chance every season of plague, in which case a random dwarf if afflicted with a random illness.
Pages: 1 [2] 3