Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: nginx errors  (Read 4131 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: nginx errors
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 07:43:17 am »

The current spate of problems were due to running out of tcp buffer space, which apparently causes fastcgi (well, php-cgi) to puke.

I've switched back to plain old cgi, for the time being. It's nowhere near as fast (no "fast" in the name, see), but it at least *works*. Mostly.

But I have to agree, a dedicated server is looking increasingly tempting.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 08:48:07 am »

I am getting
SYSTEM WARNING: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_ibfq3****************, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13)
at the top of every bugtracker page.
Just prior to its appearance I failed to add a note to a bugreport with nginx error screen.

* - edited out as it may be a hash of some personal ID information.

Edit: It seems that now I cannot add any more notes to the bugtracker. I may need some admin help if it is only my account that is affected.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:24:36 am by Another »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 09:32:33 am »

An accident. Try now?

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 09:45:15 am »

As far as dedicated servers go, you can usually just re-purpose any respectable computer and it'll work great. My SRCDS & "whatever needs to be computed right now" server cost me about $50 for a new hard drive, I found it in the garbage. You'd be surprised what people will throw out.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 09:48:40 am »

I'm pretty sure co-location would be more trouble than it's worth.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 09:50:52 am »

An accident. Try now?

All is working now. Thanks.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 09:53:27 am »

I'd seriously recommend looking at Varnish to run in front of nginx. It can't do anything about the post pages but all the page views (which is the vast majority) are going to be helped by it.

I've see an average of ~10 fold increase in handled 'get' pages from sites where I've done this myself. I've seen people claim more too but I can't vouch for that. I understand there is a move in progress that should solve a lot of this but if you find yourself reaching the limits of the new vps then it would be work looking into.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 09:56:11 am »

"Amusingly", the current VPS doesn't have enough memory to do that, but nginx' built-in cache seems to be working.

The new one.. first off, I think it's more likely to be a dedicated server. That aside, yes, putting a cache in front could be a good thing to do.

Why should I prefer Varnish over the built-in cache in nginx, though?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2010, 10:01:37 am »

I've heard good things about the nginx cache too but I've not had much experience with it so wouldn't want to recommend it. I also don't know what causes it to decide a request is cached (logged in users for example are always fun) where as I know you can tell varnish to cache parts of the page per user and parts globally to solve that.

Any memory heavy cache is good though, I only mention it as you mentioned it was hitting the php layer and fastcgi which shouldn't happen with a cache.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2010, 01:06:29 pm »

All morning, it was "timing out" when I tried to post...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 02:18:17 pm »

I actually haven't encountered any errors today at all.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 02:19:11 pm »

I haven't either. :)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Xeriar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.anenris.com
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 02:28:35 pm »

I'm getting them more now too.  It's not part of the move process.  Generally the recent forum problems have been from traffic, but there's a little less traffic now, so the only thing I can think of is DF talk downloads?  In any case, the move will be initiated soon, but it looks like there will be some bumpiness first.

edit: what q said

Since nginx requires php to be running as a standalone process for fastcgi, it will throw gateway errors when all processes are unresponsive. More php threads usually will not help, it's usually caused by waiting for the database to respond.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 03:32:21 pm »

Since nginx requires php to be running as a standalone process for fastcgi, it will throw gateway errors when all processes are unresponsive. More php threads usually will not help, it's usually caused by waiting for the database to respond.
Not in case of VPS. These have limit on open file handlers/tcp connections/tcp buffers. When it hit the limit, it starts silently dropping connections between nginx and php process, which results to connection timeout on nginx side.

Xeriar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.anenris.com
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 08:44:51 pm »

Not in case of VPS. These have limit on open file handlers/tcp connections/tcp buffers. When it hit the limit, it starts silently dropping connections between nginx and php process, which results to connection timeout on nginx side.

You're not using sockets for fastcgi? You should at least have enough file handles.

Regardless, hosts with overrestricted VPS settings are one of a number of reasons why I avoid VPSes like the plague.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4