Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Urist McBlacksmith has bled to death.  (Read 1944 times)

matthiaspaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist McBlacksmith has bled to death.
« on: April 17, 2010, 06:02:06 am »

This has happened twice when I task my smelters to do their work in the magma smelters and forges. They are located right above the top level of the magma sea. There are no combat logs with them involved (which by the way is a sweet feature). Why? Is it too hot or something? Why does heat make them bleed? How do I remedy this, if it's a matter of tempurature? I don't wanna have to pump all that magma upwards....

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McBlacksmith has bled to death.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 06:09:09 am »

Can be temperature. Heat of magma melted your blacksmith's fat layer away, this causes bleeding which killed your blacksmith...especially if he's covered in water, that's how "acid rain" bug works(Overheated water cover melts away fat layer in creature's body)
This is Dwarf Fortress---Keeping fit in the most direct way :P

matthiaspaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:16:21 am »

Remarkable. Do you think pumping a small amount of magma up a higher level will fix this? What do we know about ambient temperatures?

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 06:28:16 am »

No idea...since I have not tried magma forges in the new version yet(not planning to do anything serious beyond testing until DF2010 attains the stablity of somewhere around 39c)...But that would work, as much as I know about the temperature system of DF since there won't that much magma around the smelter if you do that :)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 06:36:04 am »

keep your dwarves nice and dry, and hope it gets fixed soon. :)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 07:10:05 am »

Well for the record I've used magma forges and magma smelters without incident.  Haven't tried it with a wet dwarf yet though.  My smelters/smiths were dry as far as I know.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

matthiaspaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 07:24:46 am »

Come to think of it, my furnace dwarf was covered in water from poor drainage control seeping down the stairs. How do you dry a dwarf without killing him?

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 07:46:09 am »

I'd say "WITH MAGMA LULZ".
But I'd have to give myself an award for "Least Helpful Dumbass"

Stuff dries when you leave it in the sun...as with evaporation from open pools.
But if you want him to STAY dry, you'll either have to fix the drainage or build him a seperate staircase. But even then, if he carries out a 'Clean Self' job before going back to work, you've got the same problem.

matthiaspaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 07:58:42 am »

Well, I suppose it's a moo point now. A glass spitting winged squirrel beast showed up and trashed my fort and killed my only soldier. So I dug down to the pits and freed the demons. Shame, since they were the only dwarves left in the world...

Hey, adamantine stick around after the fall, right? I didn't see any :( I doubt I could reclaim anyway.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 03:57:02 pm »

rejoice

Quote from: Toady from the bug tracker
This should be handled for next time. The temperature of tiles adjacent to magma was suffering from the same problem as the melting rain/fish bug, and I've adjusted it down for the time being.

Pheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 05:06:21 pm »

From my experience, the way that magma vents and magma seas replenish is by dropping magma from the top layer of the vent/sea.

If you pumped any amount of magma out... its going to replenish right on top of the dwarves.

This is why I don't build forges/smelters on top of magma, but around the edges.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 06:42:24 pm »

From my experience, the way that magma vents and magma seas replenish is by dropping magma from the top layer of the vent/sea.

If you pumped any amount of magma out... its going to replenish right on top of the dwarves.

This is why I don't build forges/smelters on top of magma, but around the edges.
Hell, I always build well away from the magma pipes, and haven't done anything with magma seas. This allows me to both shape the smelter/forge complex as needed and ensure the absence of imps and things.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 09:24:12 am »

I imagine the acid water trick is awesome

"Hey olon, nice bath"
"Thanks urist, it's heated up by magma underneath" *gets in*
"NO WAIT!-"
"OH MY ARMOK IT BURNS!"
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 01:38:38 pm »

This should be handled for next time. The temperature of tiles adjacent to magma was suffering from the same problem as the melting rain/fish bug, and I've adjusted it down for the time being.

Aww, I was hoping to use that to build enemy-melting traps. :(
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 12:09:20 am »

Aww, I was hoping to use that to build enemy-melting traps. :(

I can tell you from my 31.18 game that melting fat still happens. I lost more soldiers to them bleeding to death than ambushes and actual sieges. That's the last time I put a bath right in front of my entrance on a very hot climate. Although I suspect me having released several waves of magma might have contributed to the extreme heat outside.
Pages: [1] 2