Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Wow, the new underground really is aweso - HOLY CRAP EVERYONE IS ROTTING!  (Read 7140 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had something similar happen.  It was a giant pterosaur.  I sent my greatest warrior to kill it, which he did in one strike.  I thought everything was fine, but later I found out that in the brief scuffle he was covered in some sort of infectious goo.  The only symptom was their eyes bursting.  It spread all over the place and got on almost everyone.  In the end, I did get to experience the new burrows system.  I ended up with 3/4 of my dwarves separated into the "Blind" burrow, while the remaining quarter were in the uppermost section of the fort.  My fort went from a happy game of construction and building to some sort of horror movie nightmare.  I didn't even know this was possible. 

There's a movie called "Blindess" which is where a disease comes out of no where and causes blindness. Very contagious.
Everybody gets rangled up into a hospice and quarantined off, where one group takes all the food and has a gun, pretty much owning everybody, and making them pay up with jewelry at first - and then "Send your women" thing. Then, one of the not-blind guards accidently catches it the disease... Movie is awesome, needless to say.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My fort went from a happy game of construction and building to some sort of horror movie nightmare.  I didn't even know this was possible. 
How long have you been playing?

Seriously, though, that's the coolest thing ever.
I'm actually surprised the hospital system isn't more complicated to cover this- have "diagnostician" recognize the ailment, and have "special" things needed to cure it- Golden Salve, anyone?

Or more varied effects... you could probably add one that would just make them miserable... or violently insane...

Holy hell, the rage virus for dwarves!
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, exploding eyeball disease is now my favorite new feature. 
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm thinking about building a whole fort on floor grates now. Yeah, it will make it a bit more painful to navigate (max two tiles wide walkways) and quite a bit more painful to plan out and make, but it might just keep the contamination to a minimum.
Such forts were common back in mud-tracking times.
You dont have to build grates everywhere tho, just put them around all staircases and across all hallways. You will be able to keep them 3-tiles wide this way.

I know, and I build my fort around this already (especially near farm plots - those double as emergency drains off the map in case somebody smashes the floodgates or they get stuck or something like that). It just doesn't seem to work this time.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It just doesn't seem to work this time.
You mean contaminants go across single grate tiles?

gane green

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

New job title needed for dwarf. NBC Dwarf.
If God was a number it would be over 9,000

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It just doesn't seem to work this time.
You mean contaminants go across single grate tiles?

I use double grate lines (single ones tend to overflow too easily). And, yes, it seems so, even with them. Or maybe it's just my pets bringing them over the whole time.

DeMasked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had something similar happen.  It was a giant pterosaur.  I sent my greatest warrior to kill it, which he did in one strike.  I thought everything was fine, but later I found out that in the brief scuffle he was covered in some sort of infectious goo.  The only symptom was their eyes bursting.  It spread all over the place and got on almost everyone.  In the end, I did get to experience the new burrows system.  I ended up with 3/4 of my dwarves separated into the "Blind" burrow, while the remaining quarter were in the uppermost section of the fort.  My fort went from a happy game of construction and building to some sort of horror movie nightmare.  I didn't even know this was possible. 

What was the name of the first Dwarf whom you recognized to have this disease?

I want to name it after him/her.
DF's initial learning curve is more like a learning cliff, essentially the game shoves you off and expects you learn how to fly before you hit the ground.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eyes bursting? How on earth does that work?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

There's a movie called "Blindess" which is where a disease comes out of no where and causes blindness. Very contagious.
Everybody gets rangled up into a hospice and quarantined off, where one group takes all the food and has a gun, pretty much owning everybody, and making them pay up with jewelry at first - and then "Send your women" thing. Then, one of the not-blind guards accidently catches it the disease... Movie is awesome, needless to say.

Actually, it is based on a book by Portuguese nobel prize winner José Saramago. I read the book and saw the film, and I must say the two are very coherent. (Saramago himself admitted to have loved the film)

And yay for rotting dust!
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain

Or more varied effects... you could probably add one that would just make them miserable... or violently insane...

Don't be silly, that already exists.  Odds are good you've lost more than a few forts to the Dwarven RAGE virus already, in fact.  It's called "tantruming".
Sanity is for the weak.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile

What? Nono, you make a decontamination chamber.
I smell magma :D
Actually, since magma's been nerfed in the latest version, you could probably build a survivable magma shower... 8)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile

Now THAT'S horror.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't be silly, that already exists.  Odds are good you've lost more than a few forts to the Dwarven RAGE virus already, in fact.  It's called "tantruming".

Yeah, but my military never gets hit with it, cause they're too happy/dead inside. I want rampaging champions, damnit!
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Damn this thread just gave me another injection of "inspiration" drug to work on my Wasteland mod even faster >.<
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4