Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Wow, the new underground really is aweso - HOLY CRAP EVERYONE IS ROTTING!  (Read 7131 times)

Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, i suppose the title tells most of the story  ;)

Had a nice fort going, farming, magma forge and everything artfully integrated into the space between the first two caverns, found a magma pipe, had people train with wooden weapons, some kobold chopped of my miners left hand with his silver dagger (called him "Lefty")...

but then, something unusual happened: Forgotten beast, flying, composed of some nearly indestructible gem. I had my fort milita attack it and fail completely, but managed to trap it in my two-floor dining hall (by walling it off) while it devastated some civilians. But the beast had another surprise for me: half of my dwarves were coated in some sort of dust that made them rot completely, sparing only the vital organs and leaving them crawling around screaming and bloated with their own blood.
My surgeon happily chopped legs and arms of the poor rotten subjects, half of my dwarves went crazy, and then ANOTHER forgotten beast showed up at the map edge.

*facepalm*
*abandon*

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...God I love this game.  Wish Stardock and Toad would team up and spend 5 years on this...ah well.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had something similar happen.  It was a giant pterosaur.  I sent my greatest warrior to kill it, which he did in one strike.  I thought everything was fine, but later I found out that in the brief scuffle he was covered in some sort of infectious goo.  The only symptom was their eyes bursting.  It spread all over the place and got on almost everyone.  In the end, I did get to experience the new burrows system.  I ended up with 3/4 of my dwarves separated into the "Blind" burrow, while the remaining quarter were in the uppermost section of the fort.  My fort went from a happy game of construction and building to some sort of horror movie nightmare.  I didn't even know this was possible. 

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I never really understood why people abandon fortresses in such cases.  I'd see if I could trap it too before the rest of the dwarves died.

So when reclaim time came, they'd still be there for fun and profit.

Quarantines are an important skill in new DF.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile

I had something similar happen.  It was a giant pterosaur.  I sent my greatest warrior to kill it, which he did in one strike.  I thought everything was fine, but later I found out that in the brief scuffle he was covered in some sort of infectious goo.  The only symptom was their eyes bursting.  It spread all over the place and got on almost everyone.  In the end, I did get to experience the new burrows system.  I ended up with 3/4 of my dwarves separated into the "Blind" burrow, while the remaining quarter were in the uppermost section of the fort.  My fort went from a happy game of construction and building to some sort of horror movie nightmare.  I didn't even know this was possible. 

All I can say to the quoted and the OP, welcome to dwarf fortress!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I abandoned mainly because of all the miasma, the 30 FPS and a really annoying announcement bug. Actually, it was an awesome game.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I never really understood why people abandon fortresses in such cases.

Because "coverings" like blood, pus, dust and flesh-eating goo currently spread and multiply without bounds. It's basically a nasty bug which makes any kind of monster with "special" blood an instant lose of the fort unless you can trap it in some cage without injuring it and without it spewing out some of that flesh-eating goo.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm... perhaps, after fighting a forgotten beast, we should always put a temporary quarantine on the dwarves who came in contact with it. That way, if something nasty happens to them, we can just collapse the entrance to their burrow and let the rest of the dwarves live in peace (with a forgotten megabeast guarding the entrance!).
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What? Nono, you make a decontamination chamber.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love how this game now forces me to segregate my dwarves.

Currently, it's diseased and/or ginger dwarves seperated from normal society.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I smell magma :D
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Like an emergency chemical burn shower. Large room with lots of grates and a bigass cistern on top. Funnel everyone into the room, engage "shower", and all is well. Would make sewers and corridor dousing systems a worthwhile investment, too.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm thinking about building a whole fort on floor grates now. Yeah, it will make it a bit more painful to navigate (max two tiles wide walkways) and quite a bit more painful to plan out and make, but it might just keep the contamination to a minimum.

JamesP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Friends are Electric

Holy Day of the Triffids batman

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm thinking about building a whole fort on floor grates now. Yeah, it will make it a bit more painful to navigate (max two tiles wide walkways) and quite a bit more painful to plan out and make, but it might just keep the contamination to a minimum.
Such forts were common back in mud-tracking times.
You dont have to build grates everywhere tho, just put them around all staircases and across all hallways. You will be able to keep them 3-tiles wide this way.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4