Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gnoll Fortress  (Read 3602 times)

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gnoll Fortress
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:48:30 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=747

Hakar's Gnoll mod for Dwarf Fortress 2010  0.31.03

This mod adds gnolls as a playable race, and nothing else right now.
Gnolls originated as a monstrous race from D&D, and they resemble humanoid hyenas. They love fighting, eating and drinking, and hate work.

Installing:

Copy the creature_gnoll and entity_gnoll files to your raw/ folder.
The body_default and descriptor_pattern_special files have been modified from the standard files, and you can either over-write the originals if they are not modified, or copy/paste the new lines at the bottom of the files if your originals have been modified or are from a newer version than 0.31.03

To-do:

Put more detail in the gnoll body, since right now it's mostly copied from the human entry.
Fiddle around with the colours some more.
Add specific weapons and armour, though I'm trying to limit myself, since more generic weapons and such should be seperate mods. What I do want to do though is give them inferiour armour, thus forcing them to loot the good stuff from enemies or buy them from other races.
Test out their replacement nobles, which is rather hard with the current buggy version.
Figure out how the hair system works, so they all stop having long hair all the time. I also want to give them manes instead of headhair.

Oddities:

Gnolls do not seem to train in the barracks, instead preferring to loaf around all day.

Version History:

Version 1.11
* Added the [ABUSE_BODIES] and assorted [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] tags to the entity file.
* Fixed a reference to dwarf militia.

Version 1.12
* Messed around with the colour tags some more, and the game now correctly displays the colour of their fur.
* Added a more detailed description of their teeth, so they now have the same dental plan as real hyenas.

Version 1.13
* Added the Flind sub-race, which are rare but powerfull gnolls.
* Added the flindbar, a gnoll-specific weapon much like a flail.
* Gnolls now have fur, thanks to soul4hdwn.

Oh, another thing. This entire mod is 100% free-of-use. Feel free to copy and/or modify whatever you like.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:49:52 pm by Hakar »
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Gnoll Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 12:28:06 am »

If you make them baby snatchers then you will stop getting good trade, apart from that, COOL!

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:09:43 am »

If you make them baby snatchers then you will stop getting good trade, apart from that, COOL!

And here I thought that legal and accepted killing and cannibalism would be enough. Ah well. :p
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 01:15:58 am »

Lets not forget, elves are also cannibals!
Making them desecrate bodies will also help.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 02:48:16 am »

posting to take track.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 07:31:22 am »

for the armour; just focus on leather armour types.

hide armour would use a whole heap of leather and offer better protection than plain leather armour.

studded leather would require metal studs

etc

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 07:32:45 am »

Toastergargletop: with the new version we have less control over items than before, they actually are too similar, so you cannot do this.

Cool to see your Gnolls alive, Hakar! :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 07:42:41 am »

Toastergargletop: with the new version we have less control over items than before, they actually are too similar, so you cannot do this.

Cool to see your Gnolls alive, Hakar! :D

For the present moment, at least.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 08:00:05 am »

Well, I don't recon Toady promised a big update to the items anytime soon. There's no more burn/heat/cold damage, and I'm pretty sure it's gone for good until the magic which can be never. And the only natural thing we should get for armors is Thickness, so no more arbitrary "stats". While it's "realistic", it really kills the item customization. For example, I cannot make awesome power armors from common metals anymore, and lazer rifles are now impossible too. STICK_CHANCE also is gone, so you cannot make magical charges which always disappear on impact. Etc.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 08:02:08 am »

Yea, but who knows what the future will hold, we waited one and a half years for an update, I'm willing to wait for items to be upgraded.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 08:14:49 am »

Meanwhile, I want to ask.

Would it be fine if I used them for Genesis? I mean, I will still rework their bodies and make all unique weapons and items and toys (chewtoys, totems, specific armor etc. :)), but I want to ask before doing so because you were the first who made them as concept here.

Also is there a reason why do they have no fur on their body? And no sharp fangs' attack?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

gamefreak1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 08:18:16 am »

This looks fun. ;D
Is my avatar sexy?

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 01:19:28 pm »

Meanwhile, I want to ask.

Would it be fine if I used them for Genesis? I mean, I will still rework their bodies and make all unique weapons and items and toys (chewtoys, totems, specific armor etc. :)), but I want to ask before doing so because you were the first who made them as concept here.

Oh sure, you can use them any way you want, no worries.

Also is there a reason why do they have no fur on their body? And no sharp fangs' attack?

I'm still getting the hang of the whole thing. But I'm trying to find out what hyena's teeth look like so I can mod them in, and that should have an effect.

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 01:21:38 pm »

for the armour; just focus on leather armour types.

hide armour would use a whole heap of leather and offer better protection than plain leather armour.

Oh I wish I could. In the previous version they had scale armour, which weighted more than chainmail and offered less protection.

Also, gnolls cannot use hand or footwear, and I'd love to mod in wristbands, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 07:42:57 am »

Code: [Select]
[POSITION:MILITIA_CAPTAIN]
[NAME:militia captain:militia captains]
[SITE]
[NUMBER:AS_NEEDED]
[SQUAD:10:militia-dwarf:militia-dwarves]
Be careful.
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.
Pages: [1] 2