Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hunter won't hunt  (Read 10431 times)

PKPhyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunter won't hunt
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:14:59 pm »

Okay, can someone help me with this? My hunter refuses to hunt. I've gotten rid of every labor that isn't hunting related. I've assigned her a hunting dog. I have done everything I  know how to do to get her to hunt, but NOTHING WORKS. Please help.  :-\

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter won't hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:50:17 pm »

Are there any animals that have been spotted?

PKPhyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:02:10 pm »

I'm not sure if the have been spotted (although I find it hard to believe they haven't been), but just slightly to the south of my embark spot are about 12 one humped camels.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 10:03:57 pm »

Did you assign bolts to the hunters through the (m)ilitary / (f) ammo menu?
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

PKPhyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 10:21:14 pm »

No, I haven't, Ill try that.
EDIT: Okay, I set it.
DOUBLY EDIT: Yup no difference. I'm beginning to think I might as well just recruit her to the military...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:31:48 pm by PKPhyre »

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 11:06:07 pm »

Do you have an arsenal dwarf (assuming you have enough dwarves to need one)?
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

PKPhyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 11:14:32 pm »

If you don't mind me asking, what's an arsenal dwarf? Sorry, but  I'm pretty new to DF, when 2010 released, I was only just getting used to the basic of 40d.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 11:23:19 pm »

It should be called quartermaster instead of arsenal dwarf, but it's a appointed noble that assigns the weapons and armors for the military and ammo for the hunters, you can only appoint and need one after reaching 20 dwarfs.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

PKPhyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 11:31:40 pm »

Oh okay. I only have 11 dwarf right now, but once I get some more migrants, I'll appoint one.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:58:45 pm »

I don't understand why hunters this version need crossbows and bolts. Back in 40d you could tell a dwarf to hunt and he'd take whatever weapon type he was assigned and hack every critter on the map to bits. Then you could expect him to bring the kill back to be butchered so long as he didn't come across any hoary marmots on his way.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 12:20:38 am »

Hunters are... well, about as bugged as the rest of the military. I had the same problem, and repeated many of the steps here, but finally gave up on it. I decided to make my two hunters into a separate "Crossbow" squad, though aside from that I hadn't given them any orders.

About a year later, I noticed they were hunting.

In summary... try making them military units too, and assigning them bolts for that as well. Maybe that'll fix it.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 02:17:23 am »

yea I noticed problems with hunters, and mine are xbow users...also can we use bows now?   We have crossbow AND archery skills?

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 02:51:38 am »

Any ranged weapon skill users are horribly unreliable.
Example: Skilled marksdwarves refusing to pick up bolts and instead trying to beat baddies to death with their crossbow.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 04:20:58 pm »

That tickles me. In 40d, archers were all you really needed (unless fighting a bronze colossus), and now in 31, next to useless.
Maybe he's hinting that shooting stuff from a distance isn't FUN enough
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 04:41:24 pm »

Try unassigning the Hunting labor for a few seconds, then reassigning it. It seems to work. Also make sure dwarves collect outside bodies or they won't be butchered.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: [1] 2