Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Minas Tirith succession game  (Read 6497 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Minas Tirith succession game
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 08:49:00 am »

I don't think LotR would be a small conversion, all things considered. Probably not that large since DF is intended to be modelled on traditional Tolkien High Fantasy, but it falls a leetle wide of the mark.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 08:53:45 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-22840-minastirith

this is the way it's done :P

Excellent work, although Mordor should be a ring of mountains around grasslands with a desert around a volcano in the top left, not pure mountains, as most of Morder was actually quite pleasant with large farmlands to the south, it was only the immediate area around Mt Doom that was all black and horrible.

Other than that though; love it. Especially neat how a number of cities even ended up in around about the right places :D

this was made from directly converting a heightmap of middle earth, with no messing around, and mordor is actually a higher land.

I'll try and see how close I can get it to the real thing.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 09:00:32 am »

Excellent work, although Mordor should be a ring of mountains around grasslands with a desert around a volcano in the top left, not pure mountains, as most of Morder was actually quite pleasant with large farmlands to the south, it was only the immediate area around Mt Doom that was all black and horrible.

Other than that though; love it. Especially neat how a number of cities even ended up in around about the right places :D

this was made from directly converting a heightmap of middle earth, with no messing around, and mordor is actually a higher land.

I'll try and see how close I can get it to the real thing.

Well yeah, Mordor is a higher land, but the insides are habitable grasslands and plains, with the exception of the ash desert around Mt. Doom. Unfortunately DF can't do 'high grasslands', so sacrifices need to be made.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 09:06:49 am »

I don't think LotR would be a small conversion, all things considered. Probably not that large since DF is intended to be modelled on traditional Tolkien High Fantasy, but it falls a leetle wide of the mark.
I measure things by comparing them to my current Fallout/Wasteland project, so yeah, it's small :P.

It's easy to make cave goblins, dark fortress' uruk-hai, cave trolls, haradrim, rangers and free people and stuff, hell you could easily adapt my Genesis mod with a few tweaks: just change desert elves to Haradrim and make them to siege, their crescent stuff and golden armors fit perfectly; then change dusk elves to high elves; nords to Dunlendings (with some biome tweaks), and stuff like that. I already have Balors which can be just renamed to Balrogs.

It's much easier than you think. Time consuming? Yes. Boring? A bit. Hard? No.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 09:09:45 am »

I measure things by comparing them to my current Fallout/Wasteland project, so yeah, it's small :P.

It's easy to make cave goblins, dark fortress' uruk-hai, cave trolls, haradrim, rangers and free people and stuff, hell you could easily adapt my Genesis mod with a few tweaks: just change desert elves to Haradrim and make them to siege, their crescent stuff and golden armors fit perfectly; then change dusk elves to high elves; nords to Dunlendings (with some biome tweaks), and stuff like that. I already have Balors which can be just renamed to Balrogs.

It's much easier than you think. Time consuming? Yes. Boring? A bit. Hard? No.

I dunno; if you want to get the representation properly accurate then you need to do alot of civ balancing; for example Elves at the moment are basically immortal warmongery rabbits, Middle Earth Elves in contrast do their best to avoid conflict, almost never breed and use metals. I'm not sure how you'd be able to set up an immortal metal-using race in DF that breeds only rarely and doesn't end up extincted within the first decade.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 09:16:43 am »

It's all about Ethics. They do not influence anything during the real game, only the worldgen stuff, so I am ok with that.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 01:14:44 pm »

when you edit the setting for a custom worldgen, you can press P for worldpainter
Thanks!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 02:08:46 pm »

No mods? If you like mods, I could make LOTR small conversion, not too much but still. What do you think?

P.S. Also I clearly see Edoras and Aldburg on that map.
Cool idea, how long would it take you to mod this?
Derp.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 02:36:13 am »

No mods? If you like mods, I could make LOTR small conversion, not too much but still. What do you think?

P.S. Also I clearly see Edoras and Aldburg on that map.
Cool idea, how long would it take you to mod this?

probably slightly longer than it'll take to get the map looking right.

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 01:49:18 pm »

Why could we not use the same method as this one?
Derp.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 11:49:57 pm »

Why could we not use the same method as this one?

I am doing that method, but I'd like to get the biomes right, if possible.
Pages: 1 [2]