Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New gorram Entity won't spawn  (Read 508 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
New gorram Entity won't spawn
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:22:25 pm »

I just don't get why.  I've generated a new world, nothing is wrong with the creatures, and nothing shows up in the error log.  I'm utterly baffled.  These two civilizations just don't appear at all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
Re: New gorram Entity won't spawn
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:32:09 pm »

Have you tried switching the biomes to all_main or something similar to test? It might be that they can't find the appropriate biomes so another civ gets inserted instead. It might also be a problem with the creature. Have you checked history to make sure they aren't all just dying on year one? I can't think of anything else, but if noone else solves it and I have time later I can take a closer look to see if anything's wrong.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:34:45 pm »

No mimes or clowns listed as historical figures, and I end worldgen around year 10-15, so I don't think it's early death.  The clowns should spawn in biomes no other civs use, so I don't think that's it either.

It certainly is quite the puzzle.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:52:23 pm »

I don't see anything else that could possibly be wrong in the entity, did you make the creature from a copy of another creature? I tried building a creature from scratch once and a missing token resulted in the creature not existing. Beyond not being generated, items made from it couldn't even be made in arena mode.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:07:08 pm »

I've tested the creatures in arena mode thoroughly, and I copied and edited humans to make them.  I only started generating worlds once I got the creatures to stop filling the errorlog every time I went into arena mode.
Just so I remember

FACM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 06:49:23 pm »

They need a [MALE] caste and a [FEMALE] caste. World-gen start with breeding pairs, and if your creature doesn't (and it doesn't), it won't be able to place them.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 07:03:47 pm »

They need a [MALE] caste and a [FEMALE] caste. World-gen start with breeding pairs, and if your creature doesn't (and it doesn't), it won't be able to place them.
They do. I copied them from humans.  Castes are in the creature entry.

Although, I actually found the problem.  I changed the creature entry title to LL_CLOWN and LL_MIME and forgot to change the creature tag in the entity file accordingly.  Or forgot that I changed the creature title in the first place.  Not sure which, honestly.  Probably the latter, because I assumed the problem. was purely native to the entity file.
Just so I remember