Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven frying pan?  (Read 1709 times)

jokuvaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven frying pan?
« on: April 16, 2010, 03:56:40 pm »

I was experimenting with the arena and decided to test something , i filled bottom layer with lava and top layer next to it halfway with water and dumped creatures in...

not long after they start melting and dying.

Did i just discover dwarven frying pan?

Anyone tested this in fortress mode?  ???
Thikut Inethmuzish, Recruit cancels Shooting at Archery Range: Too Insane.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Dwarven frying pan?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 04:05:28 pm »

I was experimenting with the arena and decided to test something , i filled bottom layer with lava and top layer next to it halfway with water and dumped creatures in...

not long after they start melting and dying.

Did i just discover dwarven frying pan?

Anyone tested this in fortress mode?  ???
Wait... does this mean no more freeze-traps in Tundra?!
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 05:53:49 pm »

Boiling water is not new. It happens in the overworld and is generally called "acid rain."

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:53:07 am »

This was certainly news to me, and I will definatly be putting it to good use.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 02:54:44 am »

Wet dwarves will also melt if they are wet when they go into the magma forge/smelter.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 04:03:15 am »

it's a bug, in that wet creatures will heat up when they get near magma, where a dry dwarf would not. wet dwarves operating magma forges for example are likely to die. this will be fixed in .04, but for the time being if you can exploit it to your advantage, fry away :)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 04:26:38 am »

it's a bug, in that wet creatures will heat up when they get near magma, where a dry dwarf would not. wet dwarves operating magma forges for example are likely to die. this will be fixed in .04, but for the time being if you can exploit it to your advantage, fry away :)

Now I'm going to have to set up a 3/7 pool in the entrance and a drawbridge-controlled path over magma for invaders..
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:57:15 am »

Now I'm going to have to set up a 3/7 pool in the entrance and a drawbridge-controlled path over magma for invaders..

Just keep it hot all the time then make it restricted and have a longer, but safe, path around it. That way it'll be always ready to catch anything sneaking in as well.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 10:57:19 am »

This is an engraving of carp.
The carp are boiling.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 11:11:26 am »

so can i kill a river if i channel magma under it? :3
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 11:12:07 am »

YES. Yes you can. You're obligated to do this and post your findings here. See if the boiling water travels after killing everything inside.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 12:18:05 pm »

YES. Yes you can. You're obligated to do this and post your findings here. See if the boiling water travels after killing everything inside.
The question is not, does boiling water travel, but if the carp is considered cooked after being boiled, and how long it takes a goblin to be considered cooked.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 12:29:21 pm »

So... if I make a constructed iron floor and run magma under it will creatures on top be harmed even if I don't put water there? Or is the water required?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:35:51 pm »

The heat from the magma ignores creatures, but boils water and water coverings. So a snack covered in water will boil from the magma heating the water covering it. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked with blood or vomit or booze, but water is pretty much confirmed and required.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 12:41:53 pm »

What about items?

Iron floor, magma beneath, gold bars on top. Melt?

Same with water?
Pages: [1] 2