Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gondor  (Read 2929 times)

Klashus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gondor
« on: April 16, 2010, 12:55:10 pm »

well i last night i threw in Lord of the rings while i was playing dwarf fortress.  the city gondor is cut into the side of the mountain and gave me an epic idea to try to recreate it.  found a good map with a steep mountain on the bottom 1/3 of the map that goes right down to flat ground.  will be intresting to see how close i'll be able to get it to look like the actual city.  Large walls and towers cut into the mountain like a stepping stone.  granted im not very good at df but it should be fun.   I also promote others trying as well since im not to experienced yet.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gondor
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:58:22 pm »

This has been my dream megaproject for a long time. I once found a sight with a tall, eastward facing cliff, but it didn't have any white stone. Never found a decent site after that.
This is to make me recognizable.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:04:59 pm »

YEA
I have been thinking of doing this for a while
hope it goes as planned
be sure to use burrows separating the lower sections and make a strong keep
then, if you are willing to sacrifice your fps, do a siege of goblins who reproduce like cats
EDIT: by the way, the actual city is called minas tirith
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 01:33:12 pm »

Remember to build it facing east!  Some Pelennor fields in front, please.  And a river to the south.  With an Osgiliath map just to the east (wide river).  Damn, somebody generate the map and build this thing already.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:48:32 pm »

This has been my dream megaproject for a long time. I once found a sight with a tall, eastward facing cliff, but it didn't have any white stone. Never found a decent site after that.

The first wall must be black though!

Also, it would be kind of funny to do that on the site without white stone anyway.  Just spam the dwarven trader to bring you nothing but marble, alunite, etc, in both stone and block form.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 01:58:19 pm »

Gondor is the country, Minas Tirith is the city.

Pedantic Man, AWAY! *woosh*

Also, here's a map:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Minas-Tirith-Rama-c.svg
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:02:00 pm by Moosey »
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Klashus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 02:59:22 pm »

ya i realised that after i posted the name lol ahh well

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 03:06:13 pm »

Nice map...brook-fed resevoirs on 1st & 4th level hmmm
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 03:38:12 pm »

How do you plan to make flaming nobles jump off the top level?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 06:21:54 pm »

-blank slate-
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:08:02 pm by Vertigon »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 06:39:00 pm »

How do you plan to make flaming nobles jump off the top level?

Build them a bedroom overlooking the cliff, with no walls so there's just a sheer drop several hundred Z levels below.

Put a caged goblin in the room linked to a lever.

Pull lever.

Goblin wrestles noble, both tumble off cliff and explode below. Preferably into a pond, so you can turn the water red.

Alternatively, pump magma such that it pushes the noble off the cliff. When it touches him he should just back off of the cliff, so he'll be falling while on fire. Then explode.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 06:59:10 pm »

The wikipedia entry on Minas Tirith has some great info aside from the map I mentioned before..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minas_Tirith

The city was divided into seven levels, each 100 feet (30.5 m) higher than the one below it, and surrounded by a white wall, with the exception of the wall of the First Circle, which was black. The outer face of this outer wall, the lowest, was made of black stone, the same material used in Orthanc; it was vulnerable only to earthquakes capable of rending the ground where it stood.[2]  The Great Gate of Minas Tirith faced east in the outer wall, guarded by huge stone towers and fortified positions. The gates were built with siege in mind: constructed of iron, they were extremely difficult to break into. This gate has only ever been assaulted and felled once, and its replacement, built by the Dwarves of Erebor of mithril  (which in Tolkien's writing is the hardest metal of all) was almost unassailable.

It seems to me that z-level height ought to be about 2 meters..  that would mean, what, 15 z-levels per ring?  Is that too many?

Some sort of massive gate made out of Adamantine is absolutely required.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 07:53:02 pm »

I tried doing this once, but fps issues stopped me. Basically, the diameter of the largest ring was 130, which was about half the size of the 4x4 embark area. That was too small, and I couldn't go any larger. I'd ideally start on a 6x6 or 8x8 area.

Anyways, just treat each square as a 5' x 5' x 5' cube and estimate the city size.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 09:10:20 pm »

The outer wall has to be made from cast obsidian. There is no other option.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 10:28:04 pm »

It doesn't have to be perfectly to scale. 'Cause if you did, then it would be a human fortress...
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.
Pages: [1] 2