Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working with bones  (Read 686 times)

TravelingHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Working with bones
« on: April 16, 2010, 12:06:16 pm »

In the new version, do any workshop orders use up entire stacks of bones in one go? Or are all of my [Large Animal Bones 20+] doomed to the magma pipe for the sake of efficiency/sanity?

It just occurred to me that I could make a custom reaction that uses a larger number of bones to make a proportionately larger stack of ammo, but I'm not sure if that'd work properly and I'd rather not mod around the problem unless I have to.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Working with bones
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 01:02:35 pm »

I believe I saw someone saw that bones are only used in whole stacks, and I know when I got a possessed dwarf, he grabbed two stacks of shells (3 each; I had to mod in shells on livestock because of the no fish issue).  And i know I saw a report of someone else who had an artifact which took a stack of 11 bones.

TravelingHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:40:40 pm »

I believe I saw someone saw that bones are only used in whole stacks, and I know when I got a possessed dwarf, he grabbed two stacks of shells (3 each; I had to mod in shells on livestock because of the no fish issue).  And i know I saw a report of someone else who had an artifact which took a stack of 11 bones.
They always grab whole stacks, but they only use one bone from the stack - at least in non-mood production. Like, Urist McBoneCarver drags [Draltha Bones 30] into the workshop but after processing them I'm left with [Draltha Bones 29] and [Draltha Bone Bolts 5]. Maybe moody dwarfs use entire stacks though.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:59:41 pm »

For moods entire stacks are used.
Which may or may not be a bug. (It sure bugs me though)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:16:14 pm »

When making bone bolts or bone crafts, a single bone is used from the stack.

When decorating objects with bones, the entire stack is used.  Moods treat their raw materials as decorations, so they use the entire stack.

If you want to use up a lot of stacks of bone, start decorating stuff.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 04:13:47 pm »

When making bone bolts or bone crafts, a single bone is used from the stack.

When decorating objects with bones, the entire stack is used.  Moods treat their raw materials as decorations, so they use the entire stack.

If you want to use up a lot of stacks of bone, start decorating stuff.

So that's why my elephant bones disappeared so quickly O.o
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!