Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Searching for world seed: massive waterfall  (Read 9208 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Searching for world seed: massive waterfall
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:47:40 am »

Having genned a bunch of worlds and simply not lucking out, I was hoping maybe someone else had seen something like what i'm looking for.

The ideal world would have a location that:
-Was generated in 0.31.xx
-Contains a massive waterfall.  Ideally 20+ z-levels of falling water.
-The waterfall is cut into the rockface by a reasonable degree (ie, there's a deep canyon after the waterfall for say 20-30 tiles or more, although a slope within reasonable settlement area is nice)
-The river is straight or mostly straight in the vicinity immediately upstream and downstream of the waterfall for a reasonable distance. (say, deep canyon part and about the same distance upstream)  After the waterfall is more important.
-The river is massive.  At least 10 tiles across, more is better.
-Granite and Diorite both present (sedimentary, sand, flux all bonus and not strictly necessary, although something likely to contain copper ore would be nice).

If anyone has seen such a feature, seed and parameters would be greatly appreciated.  Screenshots highly admired.  Less than ideal candidates also appreciated.

Thanks =)

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for world seed: massive waterfall
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 02:22:01 pm »

You probably will not find such feature in current version. There exist bug in world generation, where almost no rivers are present - only brooks.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 02:25:58 pm »

You probably will not find such feature in current version. There exist bug in world generation, where almost no rivers are present - only brooks.

Jacking the number of rivers way up helps with that.  I solved that part...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 02:55:45 pm »

What?! Is this yet another bogus rumor? I've already had to stamp out the "pump stacks don't work" rumor, along with a few other people.

One in 4-5 of my generations have a River or Major River. At least 1 in 3 are Minor. I have yet to generate one without at least a few streams.

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 03:35:49 pm »

It's very much a bogus rumour.  In 31.03 I'm currently playing on a map where a (smallish brook-sized) "river" spills into a (slightly larger but still uncrossable) river with an 8-10 Z-level waterfall.  Perhaps there aren't any massive rivers, but both of these exhibit characteristics of "rivers": Dwarfs drown, can't get out, and, oh yeah, Carp.  Embark called them rivers, too.

I'm away from home, but if that site is what you're after I can upload the worldgen data and embark screenshot later tonight. 

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 03:50:47 pm »

If you can't path across it, it's not a brook.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:04:05 pm by BigD145 »

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 08:37:44 pm »

It's very much a bogus rumour.  In 31.03 I'm currently playing on a map where a (smallish brook-sized) "river" spills into a (slightly larger but still uncrossable) river with an 8-10 Z-level waterfall.  Perhaps there aren't any massive rivers, but both of these exhibit characteristics of "rivers": Dwarfs drown, can't get out, and, oh yeah, Carp.  Embark called them rivers, too.

I'm away from home, but if that site is what you're after I can upload the worldgen data and embark screenshot later tonight. 
While it is possible to get rivers, I've only had one minor river in about 5 worlds. So yeah.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:56:52 pm »

This is only true if you use the Create New World Now! option, or one of the Island worldgen parameters. Use Region worldgens instead, and there's enough space for the brooks to combine and form proper rivers.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 09:22:37 pm »

Rivers are plenty abundant in Regions, as said above.  You have to do the Parameters option, and select Medium Region or Large Region.  The default is Medium Island and doesn't allow enough collections to form rivers.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 09:53:52 pm »

Anyways, to get said massive waterfalls, from my experience, best bet is to look where two rivers intersect, I have one map on my home computer that has a small river dropping 20ish z levels into a bigger river, and the bigger river runs through a canyon across the whole map. Unfortunatly, after work I'm leaving town for the weekend, but if I remeber on monday, I'll try to get the world gen parameters and such for you.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 01:02:47 am »

Thanks for the thoughts.  I'm looking for the big river to be going down the waterfall though. =P

I had one in .40d.  15+ tiles across, 16 z-levels high.  It was pretty sweet.  Sadly no canyon, but it was full of gar and carp to play with.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 05:15:38 am »

What?! Is this yet another bogus rumor? I've already had to stamp out the "pump stacks don't work" rumor, along with a few other people.
It is not a bogus rumor. But yeah, I forgot to say that in new version I generated only island worlds - did not check regions in new version. And I do not remember encountering anything bigger than stream. It is easy to spot on world map - cyan brooks and streams versus blue rivers.

One in 4-5 of my generations have a River or Major River.
So you admit it is bugged. For me, every, I repeat, every world (maybe except really small worlds, like pocket) should have at least one, in big worlds several major rivers. Not something like "one in 4 worlds have one river, woohoo!".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 05:20:09 am »

I was under the impression that the reason that we didn't get massive rivers was due to the massive amounts of water, SO the rivers reached the water before getting larger.

Want rivers? Make less ocean!

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 03:03:47 pm »

Every time I gen a world with maximum number of rivers (800 pre/post-erosion), i got at least one point with really huge waterfall - 12 to 20 Z-levels.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 05:00:46 pm »

It is not a bogus rumor. But yeah, I forgot to say that in new version I generated only island worlds - did not check regions in new version. And I do not remember encountering anything bigger than stream. It is easy to spot on world map - cyan brooks and streams versus blue rivers.

One in 4-5 of my generations have a River or Major River.
So you admit it is bugged. For me, every, I repeat, every world (maybe except really small worlds, like pocket) should have at least one, in big worlds several major rivers. Not something like "one in 4 worlds have one river, woohoo!".

I said "River." There are Streams, Minor Rivers, Rivers, Major Rivers and all are not Brooks. You can't go whining about Brooks when most likely there is a Stream somewhere. There is no bug and no, not every world should have a Major River. Do I like them? Yes. Will I regenerate to get one? Sometimes. It's still not a bug. If it's not there, it's because you did not allow for the best chances to get one in world generation.
Pages: [1] 2 3