Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: With burrows and the huge increase in z-levels, wouldn't it be possible to ....  (Read 1914 times)

Wine Biscuits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Make a giant fortress in a 12x12 area, allowing you to house about 144*800 (im sure you can house 800 dwarves in a 1x1 area quite efficiently) 160000 ~ dwarves making for one HUGE fortress?

assigning about 800 dwarves per burrow, or make smaller burrows per 1x1 area

They probably all would work in the clothing industry, seeing how a metal industry would run out quite fast, or maybe a gigantic obsidian casting industry

imagine assaulting fighting off a gigantic goblin siege with 100.000 of your dwarves

or maybe even siege
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dudemauler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is technically possible, but it would take an unreasonable amount of effort to carry out, and an unreasonable amount of fortress wealth,

By then you will care for your dwarves too much to send hundreds into battle.
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.
Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh.

My dad, an ex-logger, once had an idea for managing sawmills in an environment-friendly way- instead of letting them buy wood, you give an individual sawmill access to and control over only a limited piece of land, with timber resources that could, with proper moderation and replanting, keep it in business in perpetuity.

Now I want to make a fort like that. Before embark, designate a zone somewhere undergroud (entirely invisible at first), and declare that your first X dwarves can work only there- do the same thing for your second X dwarves, etc.

Think this deserves to be added to the challenges page?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure, add in Livestock milking and underground forests as well.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And what magical processor will you be running this on?   :P

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By the time he gets many Dwarves, we'll have invented quantum computers, so no worries.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By the time he gets many Dwarves, we'll have invented quantum computers, so no worries.
Yeah, but then we'll be begging Tarn to implement the proper algorithms to make use of quantum computers, just like we're harassing him today regarding parallel algorithms for multi-cores and such.   ;)

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've dug out hundreds of unused bedrooms before in a relatively small space, so it is possible for this to occur. You can house an incredible amount of Dwarves in a small space.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile

1x1 bedrooms with engraved floors  :P

Klashus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ya im pretty shure the game would break with that many dwarfs till some multicore action is available.  I've read of a fort with 1500 and im shure that would make your pc weap

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I came up with an estimate of roughly 200,000 dwarves, based on:
12x12 site * 48x48 tiles in a region tile * 150 z-levels = about 50 million tiles in a large site
I once rather comfortably accommodated a 200-dwarf fort in what were probably about 6 main z-levels of a 2x2 region-tile area (the rest of the site was just mines, waterworks, etc). This was with a lot of 2x2 bedrooms with chests and cabinets unoccupied because it was my first time playing with the economy, so I ended up digging a lot of extra housing for the poor.
2x2 * 48x48 * 6 = on the order of 50 thousand tiles.
If a site with a thousand times more tiles can accommodate a thousand times more dwarves, a full 12x12 site in 0.31 should be able to accommodate two hundred thousand dwarves if we neglect the computing resources that would be required for that.

So the obvious next questions to ask are:
Has anyone ever measured how much food and drink a dwarf consumes in a year, how much a farm tile can produce in a year, and the rates at which dwarves can carry out all of the farming related jobs?
If a fort had a population of 200,000 dwarves, how many tiles of farm plots would it need, and how many dwarves to work them? (considering planters, threshers, millers, brewers, cooks, and probably a lot of full-time dedicated food haulers assigned to a number of burrows controlling food distribution)
How many tiles of the map would need to be dedicated to food stockpiles, and what would be the most efficient arrangement of them? How many barrels should there be? How many of each kind of workshop, and how much power will be needed for millstones?

Once we have the food industry taken care of, a small number of dwarves will be needed to make things like furniture and weapons needed within the fort. The fort would need huge numbers of beds and doors and the like, but only once, so we probably don't need more than 1-2 hundred each of masons, carpenters, blacksmiths, glassmakers, etc (any more than a normally-sized fort needs more than one legendary mason).

That leaves the remainder of the fort to be split between the military and wealth production for export. So the last question I have is:
Arbitrarily approximating that we'd need no more than a thousand soldiers and could use all other dwarves to make, decorate, and haul items for trade, how much wealth per year could the 200,000-dwarf fort be expected to export?
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

there is an improved farming thread that does a lot of the calculations for food production. check it out, because i am too lazy to do the math.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Where's the guy who started the "Pay Intel to rent us out their super-computer" fund?