Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 105

Author Topic: [0.31.18] ☢ Wasteland ☢ : accepting help  (Read 161241 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ☢ Wasteland ☢ [0.5] : more critters = more fun
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2010, 12:34:16 pm »

Are you sure they are "metal pipe", "*** crutch" and "*** mechanisms" where *** can be of any material? Note that the pipe must be "metal".

P.S. I've just checked and it works. Make sure you have all 3 items not designated for something or being hauled.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:41:06 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2010, 12:45:43 pm »

Ah, sorry. I didn't realize that "Metal" actually meant... well, Metal ;)
Thought it was some weird bug in the construction lists that had yet to be destroyed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2010, 01:05:22 pm »

Which pipe was the one which didn't work? I thought I made other unavaliable for vault dwellers.

Also what do you think about pistol craft:

zip gun (crafted as a common ranged weapon, by fletcher or in forge) - quite ineffective.

Gunsmith workshop:
* zip gun + mechanisms = pistol
* pistol + knife = knife pistol
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2010, 01:12:54 pm »

Looks like fun ;). I'm desperately trying to find some galena to make lead for bullets at the moment, though.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:15:25 pm by Vorbicon »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2010, 01:28:22 pm »

Oh, I think I should make the lead more often. But not too much, because you cannot make bullets from anything you find :). I use it for now to balance the lack of real gunpowder making.

Also slashing/stabbing weapons are much better than bashing, so the ability to have them is really good for your guards. For now the stabbing pistol will be called "combat pistol".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2010, 01:40:28 pm »

Managed to find some on my current map (Thanks to Reveal2). About 60 or 70 levels down though.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ☢ Wasteland ☢ [0.6] : new plants and more!
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2010, 11:17:49 am »

0.6 is up! All the changes are in the first post.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2010, 11:35:20 am »

Oooh, sounds like a fun update!  :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2010, 12:34:57 pm »

I was tired of plump helmets, rope reed and dimple cups in the wrong setting, so it was pretty necessary. Also the organization with tweaks and documentation took quite a lot of time, I could release it earlier if I haven't worked on the document :). Also finally: no more kobold thieves. Shiny evil raiders instead.

Sand antlions were influenced by my latest COOP in Half-Life 2 I think, and Starship Troopers :).

Now I will have to gradually remove "vanilla" creatures, sometimes replacing them with wasteland counterparts, sometimes adding totally new animals.

Any suggestions on more animals? Right now I can think of bloatflies and monitor lizards. Rats, vultures and eagles should stay IMHO. Other critter ideas would be really great.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 12:36:50 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2010, 11:47:24 pm »

Mutated versions of real creatures always work. Sadly Fallout does not have the most diverse ecosystems in canon.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2010, 01:52:56 am »

Mutated swimming bearsharks...

You don't have those yet do you?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe a magma swimmer too...I can't tell with that reddish hair in the picture.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:54:33 am by A Dwarven Smokeologist »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2010, 02:21:48 am »

Hmm... Quadruped hairy sharks with a barbed tail may work :). Thanks for the feedback.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2010, 05:37:30 am »

During the nuclear holocaust, somethings bound to have happened to the house-cats.

I'm thinking some sort of really large, horribly deformed feline, with saber teeth and a row of poisonous spines along its back and tail.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2010, 06:25:51 am »

Yeah I had a few designs for large feline predators too. There're no more domesticated cats. Iguanas catch vermin :).
Thank you for the idea.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2010, 11:01:28 am »

I am planning to make another release today so I want to accept other suggestions about animals.

I will add radsharks, large sharks with 2 paws instead of flippers so they will be able to crawl the land.

Also, an update to the bestiary is planned, I plan to incorporate various creatures of similar types.

RATS

Rat:
Byfar the most common creatures in the wastes, rats and their relatives have done very well for themselves since the bombs dropped. Rats are readily identifiable by their tail, as it looks like a worm sticking out of their rear end. They are not openly hostile towards humans unless they are hungry, but packs have been known to attack when they smell blood.

Giant rat: This is basically a larger version of a rat. Giant rats range in size from about a foot to almost a yard in length. They are covered in thick fur, and have black, glassy, beady eyes. Rats are readily identifiable by their tail, as it looks like a worm sticking out of their rear end. Giant rats can be found pretty much anywhere.

Rad rat: Rats can survive large doses of radioactivity, and in certain areas, have even adapted such that they require the radiation to live. These rats are about 30 centimeters long, are brown or black in color, and will glow slightly in the dark. The main thing to fear in encountering Rad Rats is that they are slightly radioactive, and their little claws can transfer some of that to you. Rad Rats are usually found around sources of radioactivity.

Molerat: Molerats are a mix between moles and rats. No one is sure whether these creatures are the result of a creative union between similar species, or an even stranger union with a little radiation to help things along the way. Molerats range in size anywhere from 30 centimeters to a meter and a half; the largest stand almost a meter at the shoulder. They have mole-like faces and are nearly blind in normal light; for this reason, they are almost exclusively found in caves.

Pigrat: Pigrats are part-pig, part rat hybrids. Like their cousins the molerats, it probably took some creative genetic manipulation to make these critters. Pigrats are large, ranging anywhere from 70 cm to almost 2 meters in length. Their legs are overly large, although short, and they are exceptionally meaty around the midsection. In fact, pigrats would make exceptional livestock, if they weren't so dangerous. They are amazingly resilient, and can be found almost anywhere. They travel in packs of ten or more and generally attack only to protect their young or defend their territory. If they are hungry, however, they become very aggressive.

INSECTS

Radroach: One of the most numerous and adaptive of all species that evolution spit upon this planet, cockroaches existed on every continent before the War. After the bombs flew, they still managed to hold on to their niche, especially in ruins of cities with lots of dark, dirty areas for them to crawl through. Cockroaches range anywhere from an inch in length to 60 cm, but only the “giant” variety is dangerous. They can be encountered alone, but the most common – and deadly – species travels in clusters of 10-20 individuals. They do not make a habit of attacking humans, but will defend their garbage heaps, and large swarms of these creatures can easily overwhelm a person or a small group. Usually, cockroaches will call off the attack if their target flees.

Giant Ant: Giant Ants, are simply overgrown insects. Somewhere along the way, fate saw fit to dump some radioactive material near an anthill and create this large, mutant creature. Giant ants are black ants about 70 centimeters in length. Huge colonies of these creatures exist under the earth, and scouts are often found in caves. They usually travel in parties of 5 to 10 insects. They will attack humans on sight, and enjoy eating corpses of the dead.

Giant Mantis: These giant, mutant insects come from the praying mantis, a creature nearly extinct before the War. They have since become a popular sight in the post-War wastes, and are known to devour crops and cattle. On rare occasions, a pack of mantis will attack humans. Mantis travel in swarms of 15 or 20, and will generally not attack unless provoked.

Bloatflies: A Bloatfly is a common mutated wasteland pest resembling an over-sized blow-fly. A common encounter in the Wasteland, the comparatively diminutive Bloatfly is quite aggressive, often attacking animals much larger than itself with reckless abandon. Bloatflies do not attack at close range, but rather keep to a standoff distance and pepper their prey with nasty acid they spray from their rear end.

Dogs

Gray Wolves: Grey wolves can be either white, gray, black, or any mix between these. They sand about 120 to 160 cm tall at the shoulder, and have a distinctive call. They are highly social animals, and the pack is based around a lead male, called the "alpha." The entire pack, except for pregnant and nursing females, hunts, often using highly refined tactics to take down prey. Wolf packs are territorial, and normally do not stray into each other's territory. When they feel that their turf is threatened by anything - wolves, other animals, or humans - they will attack. Contrary to popular belief, wolves avoid humans and their livestock, and will only attack when there is no other source of food. There can be anywhere from five to twenty-five wolves in a pack.

Dire Wolves: Dire wolves are a huge member of the wolf family, thought to be extinct since the last ice age. It is unclear whether radiation created a similar creature, or holdovers from the far north made their way south during the nuclear winters, but dire wolf packs are some of the most feared creatures in the wastes. Although they are extremely rare, they have been known to take down entire caravans, armed guards and all. Dire wolves hunt mainly for meat, and although they avoid large human settlements, they can and will attack smaller, undefended towns, carrying off children or small adults. Dire wolves stand almost 2 meters at the shoulder, and except for their size, look much like their smaller cousins, the Grey Wolf. They run in packs of 5 to 25 individuals.

Coyotes: Smaller than wolves, with a higher howl, coyotes are loners rather than social animals, scavengers rather than hunters. Coyotes aren't nearly as common as they used to be, partially because they ran out of food when livestock herds drastically diminished, partially because wolf packs found that coyotes made good meals. Coyotes barely stand 1 meter at the shoulder, and are often yellow, tan, or brown in color. They are mostly found in deserts and mountains, or any area where they have some kind of cover, such as trees. Unless mating, coyotes are almost always alone, and won't attack humans unless cornered and provoked. They will, however, attempt to take down livestock, if they think it is an easy catch.

Feral Dogs: Man's best friend was blessed with a resistance to radiation that his master did not have. When billions were dropping dead from fallout, millions of canines were wondering where their next can of dog food was going to come from. Inevitably, some escaped their houses and backyards, forming groups not unlike wolf packs. Today, these bands of dogs have become feral, interbreeding with each other and living without the humans that supplied them with chow and loved them for eons. A feral dog pack operates much like a wolf pack, with a single "alpha" male leader and anywhere from 5 to 25 members. Feral dogs tend to be smaller than wolves, and come in almost any color and shape that normal mutts do. They live anywhere, and although they avoid humans for the most part, feral dogs can usually be found closer to cities and towns than wolves and coyotes. Feral dogs will not attack humans unless starving or provoked.

Dogs: A man's best friend. Who wouldn't want a large, slobbering, smelly beast as a companion? Dogs are intensely loyal and love their masters unconditionally, and can do many useful things like fetching items from radioactive areas and leading blind people around. Dogs can be found anywhere near humans. They come in all sizes and colors, and will not attack anyone unless they perceive that person as a threat to their house, territory, or master.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 105