Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 105

Author Topic: [0.31.18] ☢ Wasteland ☢ : accepting help  (Read 161205 times)

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☢ Wasteland ☢ [0.2] - more desert dessert
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2010, 06:00:35 pm »

I figure I should post a little on topic eh? I am personally waiting for the OpenGL merge and native Linux version to do any serious DF which includes playing any mods but I am definitely looking forward to it.

I use WinRAR for the same reason as EuchreJack, I found it first when WinZIP stopped working and it still works for me so I have no need to go to 7Zip. And I am just plain used to the interface and whatnot, I don't like changing unless I have to or it is just plain better.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2010, 02:17:30 am »

Yeah, it's a cool thing to derail my own thread :P.

Anyway, I was distracted by my wife this night so I had to sleep, but I am back to modding in an hour or two.
I'll try the gem-crafts idea and post a version here.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2010, 03:58:00 pm »

I had an idea:

Let's turn Lead into Gold!

But I'm talking about the real version, based on nuclear physics...he he he.

Basically, it would be a smelter reaction that combines the nuclear reactor (and/or uranium) with lead to make radioactive gold!

Unlike conventional gold, radioactive gold causes illness, melts at a low temperature, and easily ignites on fire!  Most civilizations do not have much use for the stuff, but Ghouls make it into coins!

Why do Ghouls make radioactive gold into coins? Three reasons:
1) Ghouls are not hurt by the radiation, and rather enjoy it
2) Despite the gold being created from lead, the process is so resource-intensive that radioactive gold is actually as valuable as the real stuff
3) Should anyone rob the Ghoul of his "gold", the Ghoul can just follow the sucker until they die (which won't take long, especially to a bicentarian like the Ghoul) and retrieve their property along with whatever else the thief owns.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2010, 04:26:58 pm »

Ahem, how are they supposed to craft it in their ruins, without tools and workshops? :P

Nice idea, I will think about it, hehe.

Meanwhile, I WAS FREAKING ABLE TO MAKE DIFFERENT MUTANT CASTES WITHOUT CRASHES.

Ahem. So yeah, until now I had various problems like a blood which crashes the game and layer thickness problems. Probably some material/tissue token placed a bit unappropriately/not hooked by some caste causes the whole creature to bug out. So yeah, now I will be able to move on.

Right now I have: bullies ("common" mutants), freaks (with two heads), abominations (with 4 arms and without joints) and brutes (genderless, huge).

Also it looks like that creature "weirdness" caused bugs in other menus which were totally unrelated (i.e. it made the game to crash when I tried to sort some item by its name in squad menus, typing first letters of it).

With the fix of the mutants, all errors disappeared at once. So I move on. :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:29:20 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2010, 04:37:53 pm »

The screen goes into full screen mode even if I put no, it also doesnt allow me to exit.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2010, 04:39:54 pm »

Huh, what? Try to set [WINDOWED:PROMPT] in /data/init/init.txt and it should let you pick the windowed/fullscreen mode.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2010, 04:42:38 pm »

Its on promt, I put yes yet it still happens.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2010, 04:50:20 pm »

Are you sure you edit the right init file and you're not on Vista? It should work. There's some problem with your DF then.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2010, 05:03:19 pm »

Its the unedited folder which I asked for, I run 7.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2010, 06:03:16 pm »

Ahem, how are they supposed to craft it in their ruins, without tools and workshops? :P

Ghouls live for like 200 years, plenty of time to find the stuff, or at least stumble upon an abandoned metalsmith's shop to craft the radioactive gold into coins.  Plus they have a nuclear reactor in Fallout 2, and are just stupid curious enough to throw lead into it.

In real life, it takes a particle accelerator and a few prayers to make radioactive gold out of lead, and in fact I am not sure it has ever been done, just theorized.  Pffsha, it's still cool.

Oh, and GO MUTANTS!

Marmonoulie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2010, 10:05:55 pm »

I'm having porblems with my connection with the forums but it's fixed now, so far it all works accept the confusion of what skills contributed to the hand gun and rifle so I embarked with the wrong skill choices for a couple guys. Some of the stuff was obvious though (minor and woodcutter). Mostly the whole bow/crossbow difference confused me somewhat.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2010, 02:38:34 am »

You mean gunslinger/rifleman? I thought that rifleman is for a rifle and gunslinger is for a pistol is pretty straightforward. Sorry if I confused you :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2010, 06:52:02 am »

Regarding robots: Since post-apocalyptic humanity does not have the technology or capability to produce advanced electronics, it makes sense to not be able to build robots. Make it such that they exist in all biomes and are domestic, so that civs will use them in sieges and trade them to you. Also, by making them unable to breed, your settlement will only be able to get robots via trading or capturing.

Robots can be trained into war robots(imagine your vault dwellers reprogramming and upgrading them), or can be butchered(disassembled) for parts/metal.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:01:41 am by RavingManiac »
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2010, 06:57:39 am »

I don't think they'd survive world gen if that was the case.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2010, 07:15:44 am »

I did some testing on non-breeding domestic animals. Dogs had the female caste modded out, and worldgen was allowed to run for 100 years. When embarking, dogs remained available on the embark screen.

Since only animals available to your civ will be shown on the embark screen, I assume caravans will also carry robots.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 105