Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A series of suggestions  (Read 686 times)

Skjarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A series of suggestions
« on: December 20, 2007, 11:44:00 pm »

I know some or all of these have been suggested in other posts here (and probably in Toady's list of features to be added), but I'm adding them for completeness of my personal list.  I welcome feedback and discussion.

1. Consistent list interface (fast scrolling, categories).  It would be nice to have a consistent navigation system across all lists that appear in the game.  Using page down for some lists and * or / for others is aggravating.  Adding categories as collapsible trees would be an excellent feature as well, especially if you can tag entire categories in addition to single items.

2. Ability to cancel from the embark screen.  I've picked the wrong spot before and it won't let me back out once I've started to embark.  It's a small thing, but likely easy to fix.

3. Standard loadout for embarking (savable/loadable outside of init.txt).  As it says, being able to configure your starting dwarves in specific ways and save that configuration as a separate file would be an excellent feature.

4. Mouse dragable mining designation.  Being able to drag boxes for mining (a la Dungeon Keeper) would be a fantastic improvement.  Viva la mouse!

5. Z-level movement via mouse wheel.  Scrolling up and down through Z levels using a mouse wheel would be excellent as well.

6. Creature/item selection via mouse.  It would be nice to be able to click a dwarf or critter instead of messing with keyboard targeting.  Maybe make it the same as choosing them with 'v'.

7. Ability to flag a target as kill on sight.  Flag that nasty kobold thief as KOS and every dwarf who sees him, whether they are military or not, will begin delivering a world class asswhooping.  Saves you the hassle of having to form squads and then disband them all the time if you don't have a standing military.  Plus it's just quick and easy.

8. Red alert mode where everyone goes on the offensive w/rally point.  Similar to number 7, except you don't have to flag anything, your dwarves all go berserk on any enemies nearby.  You could also work it as an aggressive crowd that rallies at a specified point if the crap is REALLY hitting the fan.  75 dwarves beating a dragon to death with their bare hands anyone?

9. Ability to set a mining flag whereby every mined stone is flagged for dumping.  It would surely beat having to manually flag 99999999 stones for dumping.

10. Quick room construction sets a mining job and then drops a workshop build order there after the mining finishes.  Again, it may not be possible given the current queuing system, but it would be sweet.

11. Better military interface (not as confusing).  Right now the squad menu + the 'm'ilitary menu are just...confusing to me.  Adding and removing folks from squads, promoting them, configuring weapons...it is all pretty unwieldy.  There has to be a better way to lay all that out and make it more accessible.

12. Stairs/ramps should be in the building menu.  Personally, it makes sense to me.

13. Merge zones with designations.  They really seem to be the same thing to me.  I don't understand why they sit on two different menus.

14. 'x' should let you see a list of all squads and zoom to them, instead of only those on the screen.  Tracking down the leader is very troublesome.

15. Ability to micromanage what is inside a container(dump/empty).  This may already be possible, but I just don't know how to do it since I'm a n00bler.

16. Ability to save/load custom skill sets for dwarves in-game.  Especially useful in the early game when I want everyone to do everything but fish and hunt pretty much.  Useful later on when you specialize as well.

17. Ability to change job priorities, flag specific jobs as do immediately.  This would be useful beyond my ability to express.

18. Ability to cancel specific jobs/groups of jobs in the job list.  Again, it's a convenience thing.

19. Make engraving less hideous on screen.  Maybe it's just me, but engraving a room makes it look horribly cluttered and quite hideous.  It offends my sense of aesthetics.   :)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A series of suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 02:11:00 am »

14 is already in.  Hit 'l' to "lock" onto the squad, and then use the +/- to change squads.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 02:19:00 am »

19 is also already in in an init option.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 03:22:00 am »

for #2 hit escape and abort game.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 03:46:00 am »

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean in point 12 there, that one is also already there.  I forget exactly where in the building menu, but its hotkey is "C."
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 03:50:00 am »

and it continues...

13.  Merge zones with designations.  They seem the same to me.
designations select items in an area.  Zones are actually selecting an area.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 07:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karlito:
<STRONG>and it continues...

13.  Merge zones with designations.  They seem the same to me.
designations select items in an area.  Zones are actually selecting an area.</STRONG>

Perhaps he was refering to stockpile designation.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 07:43:00 am »

Point 19: Toggle engravings (v)? From the designation screen. You can also edit the ini file to make it default to toggled.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Skjarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 08:14:00 am »

Not a single troll so far.  Whee!    :) Thanks for showing me these things, folks.  Like I said, I'm a n00b.  Every bit helps.  The engraving thing is pretty sweet.

As far as #13, I suppose you can look at it either way.  I always saw designations as selecting an area for a specific activity such as gathering herbs or lumberjacking.  I never thought of it as choosing the objects within an area.  Funny how our brains work, eh?

briktal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 08:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Skjarl:
<STRONG>Not a single troll so far.  Whee!     :) Thanks for showing me these things, folks.  Like I said, I'm a n00b.  Every bit helps.  The engraving thing is pretty sweet.

As far as #13, I suppose you can look at it either way.  I always saw designations as selecting an area for a specific activity such as gathering herbs or lumberjacking.  I never thought of it as choosing the objects within an area.  Funny how our brains work, eh?</STRONG>

Well, for example, when you designate for chopping down trees, they only go and chop down the trees that are there currently, they don't keep going back whenever a new tree grows up there.

Snaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JoRo:
<STRONG>Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean in point 12 there, that one is also already there.  I forget exactly where in the building menu, but its hotkey is "C."</STRONG>

I think he means the carve stairway option. But that's definitely a designation.
________________________________________________________________________________

Building stairs are  different from carved stairs, so imo they should both remain where they are.

[ December 23, 2007: Message edited by: Snaad ]

'Aban Asmelluzat has been fine lately. She has witnessed death. She has lost a spouse. She has sustained major injuries lately. She has admired a splendid bridge lately.''

Fine??
This either means that my mason/architect is TRULY legendary...
...O

Skjarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 12:47:00 am »

You know what's annoying?  Trying to change skills on someone who is carrying a baby around.  You can't examine them!

The one truly major flaw I see in this game right now is having to flag 100,000 rocks for dumping one at a time.    :(

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 01:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Skjarl:
<STRONG>You know what's annoying?  Trying to change skills on someone who is carrying a baby around.  You can't examine them!</STRONG>

v will switch between the baby and the mother or if theres 2 or more beings stacked it will do the same.

[ December 24, 2007: Message edited by: Zulaf ]

WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14