Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Different Planes  (Read 3702 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Different Planes
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2007, 12:56:00 pm »

...I like DF without magic or planes or all this whatnot. Anyone here agree?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

Yes. Discussing them is rather silly at the moment. Though once he's working on the actual magic arc I am certain he would love to drown in a dark, writhing sea of forumers gasping their opinions.

[ December 24, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »

because I love fueling fires.....  
D&D does in fact have planes of Law and Chaos.  They have a whole bunch, in fact each alignment combination in D&D has it's own plane.  There is also a lesser plane of water which is the, wait for it, ice plane.... pretty much if it involves planes and elements, D&D has done it.  not to say the original idea behind this post was ripping off D&D, but the person who said D&D does not have the these planes is dead wrong.

It would be fun to be able to gen worlds which are 'fire' or 'ice' worlds.  or even 'evil' worlds which would have a much higher occurance of those objects
magma, glaciers, civs of evil beasties instead of just wandering packs, etc)

EDIT: forgot to mention there are also the positive and negative material planes, which are basically the planes of life and death/creation and destruction.

[ December 24, 2007: Message edited by: sorbius ]

[ December 24, 2007: Message edited by: sorbius ]

keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »

That's right... and now that I think about it, wasn't the golem world a Plane of Law?

(Positive plane was described as somewhat similar to a star except with healing power, enough to even make a person burst.... Negative was the opposite, a vampiric plane of darkness and despair.)

But yeah, looks like someone either didn't fully read or remember the Planar Handbook well.

[ December 24, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

yup. Mechanus which is the lawful neutral aligned plane.
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2007, 04:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sorbius:
because I love fueling fires.....  
D&D does in fact have planes of Law and Chaos.  They have a whole bunch, in fact each alignment combination in D&D has it's own plane.  There is also a lesser plane of water which is the, wait for it, ice plane.... pretty much if it involves planes and elements, D&D has done it.  not to say the original idea behind this post was ripping off D&D, but the person who said D&D does not have the these planes is dead wrong.

There is no Plane of Law or Plane of Chaos. There are planes that are aligned with law or chaos, but there is no plane that is pure chaos or pure law. Even in Limbo (the most strongly chaos-aligned plane), there exist bastions of order. Likewise there are chaotic elements in Mechanus (the most strongly law-aligned plane). Again, the original proposal were for planes like the D&D elemental plane of Fire, where it's all fire all the time. Mechanus isn't all Law all the time, and Limbo isn't all Chaos all the time (that'd be too orderly!). As a specific example, there's an entire adventure made to figure out why the Modrons (polygonal inhabitants of Mechanus, utterly Lawful in nature) have suddenly and inexplicably started to do chaotic things.

The Paraelemental Plane of Ice isn't part of the generally accepted D&D cosmology. It's a mixture of the plane of water and the plane of air, but it wasn't carried forward into 3rd edition. At best, the paraelemental planes (magma, ooze, ice, and, umm, lightning I think?) are demiplanes/minor planes. You won't find them in any official discussion of the D&D cosmology.

quote:
EDIT: forgot to mention there are also the positive and negative material planes, which are basically the planes of life and death/creation and destruction.

No. The positive energy plane and negative energy plane are both lethal and destructive to unprepared entities. If you enter the positive energy plane at full health unprotected, you'll explode into your composite atoms within 30 seconds (5 rounds). You might actually last longer in the negative energy plane, depending on how much health you had. Things can be created out of negative energy in D&D just as easily as positive energy, and there are life forms that are composed entirely or primarily of both. Negative energy isn't pure destructive energy because it has no effect on unliving objects/creatures, and positive energy isn't pure creation energy because it can very easily destroy something.

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>
A clock is VERY orderly (if you ignore the tiny bit of entropy in the spring).  It tick-tocks at an extreamly regular level, doing the same thing over and over and over again.  Hence why clockwork is the basis for the D&D plane of order, it doesn't have a powersource, it just ticks.
</STRONG>

Clock components are just the mechanical oppressors of the free-spirited stored potential energy of the spring.

And that spring is a tool, he'll believe anything.

A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2007, 12:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zurai:
<STRONG>*snip*</STRONG>

Being rather nitpicky here. These planes may not be the exact same thing, but they are close enough to count.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2007, 01:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>
Being rather nitpicky here. These planes may not be the exact same thing, but they are close enough to count.</STRONG>

Not really. Yes, Mechanus is strongly Law-aligned. Acheron, the Nine Hells, Arcadia, and Celestia are also Law-aligned. Which is The Plane of Law?

As for the Positive Energy Plane being "the plane of Life/Creation", it's not nitpicking. It just simply is not true. The PEP is more deadly than the Negative Energy Plane (the so-called "plane of Death/Destruction"), and while positive energy heals most creatures, it has absolutely nothing to do with creation and very little to do with life in general. The Positive Energy Plane is exactly what it claims to be: a plane full of energy. Even the description in the Manual of the Planes likens the PEP to being the core of a star, except infinite. While it's true that the Sun gives life to the planet, that's not really any different than labeling the Plane of Fire "the plane of Life/Creation" because heat keeps the world habitable.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2007, 02:05:00 am »

Let's agree to disagree.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2007, 02:12:00 am »

How about just gods of certain things, such as the gods in Incursion, none are necessarily "Bad" or "Good", but are gods of "Bad" and "Good" things. Evil/Sinister/Dark and Good/Benevolent/Light are creations that would not fit into DF very well, mostly because the only prominent god (Which isnt actually ever mentioned in-game) is Armok (who is a psychopathic blood-craver), and after looking at the Power Goals, this will change eventually.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2007, 03:14:00 am »

Or how about we all chill out, return to our day jobs, kick it with the family for the holiday season, and stop debating about something so ridiculously inconsequential? Seriously, this thread spends way too much time at the top of the board.

Y'know. Just saying.

[ December 25, 2007: Message edited by: JustOnePixel ]

Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2007, 03:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JustOnePixel:
<STRONG>Or how about we all chill out, return to our day jobs, kick it with the family for the holiday season, and stop debating about something so ridiculously inconsequential?  Seriously, this thread spends way too much time at the top of the board.

Y'know.  Just saying.</STRONG>

Some people get really defensive about things like Dungeons and Dragons, it's just  a fact people need to get used to.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2007, 05:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JustOnePixel:
<STRONG>Or how about we all chill out, return to our day jobs, kick it with the family for the holiday season, and stop debating about something so ridiculously inconsequential? Seriously, this thread spends way too much time at the top of the board.

Y'know. Just saying.</STRONG>

Because there are a few topics that will inevitably summon a swarm of zealous defenders whenever they are mentioned.

Topics to avoid:
-religion
-dnd
-dota
-american legal system
-any of the "next gen" mmo's(WaR, AoC, DFO, etc.)

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2007, 05:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>
-any of the "next gen" mmo's(WaR, AoC, DFO, etc.)</STRONG>

Must not be very good if I've never even heard any of those acronyms before.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4