Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with him... [spoilers]  (Read 1649 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
What to do with him... [spoilers]
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:18:19 pm »

So I just got my first forgotten beast, a humanoid composed of lapis lazuli with two tails. My 10-man squad of axedwarfs chopped off it's hands and legs, and reduced it's body and head to red state while only taking a single casualty. Only problem is, being made of Lapis Lazuli, I've run into the bronze colossus syndrome... and every once in a while it spews "deadly dust", which just caused my second casualty. Obviously I can't fight it forever, but I can't figure out what to do with it to stop it from terrorizing my dwarves.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with him... [spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:23:40 pm »

Personally I would construct a wall around him with windows and vertical bars every now and then, place tables and chairs, and a food stock pile around him. Then periodically drop in a dwarf/elf/human/creature and laugh. Your dwarves can have dinner and a show. And when you grow bored of him replace the vertical bars with walls then fill it up with water and floor (was flour) it over.

Yes, I said flour it over before. If you routed magma around the contraption you would bake him. Maybe dwarves enjoy deep fried humanoid lapis lazuli, taste like chicken?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:37:08 pm by gopa4 »

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:28:53 pm »

Flour? Forgotten Beast Cake?  ;)

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:29:09 pm »

Personally I would construct a wall around him with windows and vertical bars every now and then, place tables and chairs, and a food stock pile around him. Then periodically drop in a dwarf/elf/human/creature and laugh. Your dwarves can have dinner and a show. And when you grow bored of him replace the vertical bars with walls then fill it up with water and flour it over.

I'd assume afterwards, you were going to suggest deep frying him?

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:14:55 pm »

Walls with glass so it stops the dust.  Do bars?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 12:16:21 am »

How can I wall him in if he keeps terrorizing non-military dwarfs to go near?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 07:43:35 am »

Either make it a really big wall cage, or temporarily cheat by removing eyes from dwarves in the raws.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 07:59:05 am »

Drop a cave in on him; if you've chopped all his extremeties off he won't be able to run away.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 08:40:28 am »

Remove eyes, abandon the dwarves fighting him and build a wall.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 10:12:58 am »

I tried to engineer a cave-in to lock him in place, but I forgot that the new channeling system makes ramps instead of channels (I HATE this... We can already make ramps with you, know... RAMPS! Why does channeling function identically to ramps now?!? The only difference is the Z-level you designate it on...) and he happily took the ramp up to slay my still-working miners. A slew of dwarfs came to reclaim the miner's bodies, who upon seeing the beast ran away... leading him into my dining room.

He massacred everyone there. I redirected my military there, hoping that even if they couldn't kill him they could hold him off until the rest of my fort evacuated. Not so; he killed my legendary weaponsmith and my high master blacksmith, as well as a few farmers before everyone else ran away. He proceeded to finish off my military, as well as the squad of war elephants I was training up. I forbid the dining room doors to stop anyone from going in, and apparently, unlike HFS Forgotten Beasts don't seek out buildings to destroy. So he sat in my legendary dining room, with half my fortress as kills, doing nothing.

Of course, while I forbid the dining room doors, I forgot to forbid the stuff in the dining room itself... and one of my dwarves entered it from the route that the beast got in there in the first place to collect the bodies. Upon seeing the dwarf, this beast charged straight at him. And into my well. He fell, oh... 5 z-stories, and was split in half by the impact.

Oddly enough, despite losing half my fort's population, nobody is unhappy. It still sucks that I lost several very important dwarfs, but my expedition leader wasn't killed, so I should be able to rebuild. I guess it's a good thing that he didn't destroy my legendary dining room, or else I would have a nice tantrum spiral going on.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 10:19:55 am »

I believe ramped channeling were the solution to dwarves channeling themselves into islands.  it makes digging moats a lot easier.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 10:27:12 am »

Well if your dwarves are getting stuck, mico-manage the digging better.  I've always done that for all my channeling projects.  Besides, if they are channeling out a floor with nothing solid underneath, they can still do that.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 10:29:52 am »

Channeling doesn't SIMPLY create ramps.  Dig out the area beneath first and it will create a good ol' channel.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 10:37:46 am »

I believe ramped channeling were the solution to dwarves channeling themselves into islands.  it makes digging moats a lot easier.

I never had a problem with it before. Like I said, now it's functionally equivalent to digging upwards ramps 1 z-level below where you now channel.

Channeling doesn't SIMPLY create ramps.  Dig out the area beneath first and it will create a good ol' channel.
And... I can't exactly do that if there is a forgotten beast underneath as well, is there?

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 10:39:17 am »

Lock him up in a small, deep down part of your fortress. Get a small team of dwarves to live nearby and study it.

Periodicly shove water, creatures or magma into there and see how it reacts.

For Science!
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.
Pages: [1] 2