Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like feces in game

YES! (i would use it)
NO! (i would not use it, and i think it is pointless/unethical/gross etc.)
yes, but i would dissable it if it was an init option (all yes voters are assumed to be for an init option, only vote here if you think it should be included but you would not use it)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25

Author Topic: Feces vote  (Read 46784 times)

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feces vote
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2010, 08:19:38 pm »

No, this is a shitty idea.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2010, 08:23:31 pm »

I think generic sewage/waste that can have several possible sources (dwarves being one of them, and perhaps other contaminants like blood eventually turning into them when mixed with enough other crap) would be a good improvement. Because yeah, I like having a reason to have a sewer system.

Hell, even just requiring cleaned contaminants to be "dumped" somewhere would be good enough for me.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2010, 08:59:29 pm »

I can see it right now, dwarves being left in their sick beds covered in their own feces.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2010, 09:51:26 pm »

YES! (i would use it)
    - 149 (42.1%)
yes, but i would dissable it if it was an init option (all yes voters are assumed to be for an init option, only vote here if you think it should be included but you would not use it)
    - 34 (9.6%)
Well, no we know there are at least 183 people here, on B12 forums who have a shit fetish.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2010, 11:51:37 pm »

YES! (i would use it)
    - 149 (42.1%)
    - 34 (9.6%)
Well, no we know there are at least 183 people here, on B12 forums who have a shit fetish.

Congratulations, you just completed the job interview for Fox News!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2010, 12:57:10 am »

Wait, what? Shit? No.

Cracky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2010, 01:51:31 am »

I'd definitley just build my "toilet" above a long tube leading down to the magma sea...

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2010, 02:44:09 am »

If implementing bodily waste is done in a realistic fashion, bodily waste management would become an unavoidable and necessary consideration in fort design.  I would be very much for this!

Sometimes I think that many of the people who are against this are those that adore contrived, familiar, and meta-gamey game mechanics, and are uncomfortable with the idea that a game could be hard and require actual thinking.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2010, 02:54:00 am »

wow I'd love to see that feature :)

The Elven Diplomats head is covered in UristMcDumps feces
 :o

Yea, it's kinda sick, but this is the game where you can squash childrens eyes after all...sooo +1 for feces imo

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2010, 07:36:33 am »

Voted No here...

I'm not against it philosophically or ethically, but I don't think the current system could handle it. The way dwarfs treat contaminants with complete disregard and abandon, wash up in the drinking water, track it everywhere, etc. etc. would make it a nightmare. Going to the toilet is one more excuse for my trader not to trade with the caravan, when he's been sitting on his rear doing nothing for the rest of the year. There are numerous technical hurdles to be overcome with the core game before it's even worth considering.

Once we are there, there are still some considerations.

New Players: The game is already sufficiently overwhelming that I have been completely unable to get any of my friends to even try it. Adding dwarven waste to this compounds the problem. Unlike other complex aspects of the game which can be put off until your fort has matured somewhat, your starting seven won't miraculously hold their waste until a few years have passed.

Framerate: large forts already chew up the FPS. The last thing my fort needs is for 100 dwarfs, 50 dogs, 30 cows, 100 cats, etc. etc. defecating every other month.

Once the fundamental systems of DF have caught up to the point where fecal matter is actually feasible, it should be modded in. Hell, if it doesn't wreck the framerate too terribly, I may give it a shot myself. But until then I just don't think it's worth the trouble, and I definitely don't think it should be in vanilla.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2010, 08:43:04 am »

Yes but player controlled units only. IE only Dorfs.

And because they're Dorfy they should only need the loo once a season tops. Masters of the Latrine skill only have to go once a year. Grandmasters just don't poop at all. Theyre that hard.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2010, 09:41:07 am »

Baby mice? Hell yes!

Brownie points for whoever gets the reference...

e: I should add that I'm for adding feces more from an architectural standpoint than anything else. That said, given the chance I'd probably have elves drowning in poo quicker than you could say "do I see carrots in that?"

ee: And it should be off by default, to be enabled in the init.txt for whoever wants to, er, play with poo. And there are plenty of other features and bugs that need addressing before this even gets thought about tbh.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:58:31 am by SquidgyB »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2010, 08:12:11 pm »

If you are against implementing sewage/feces management in DF I'd advise first looking up some books in sanitaiton and urbanism.

ONE OF MANKIND'S GREATEST URBANISM PROBLEMS ALWAYS HAD BEEN SEWAGE MANAGEMENT

Sewage is something we probably take for granted, but if you look back in history, what really was a major obstacle for the higher population concentrations on cities has been managing the sewage. The romans did it somewhat well, then we had medieval times where people threw buckets full of excrements, dirt, and litter, through the window. Not coincidentally the medieval cities were plaugued with epidemics of several diseases that are transmitted from general lack of sanitation.
In the industrial revolution the even greater concentrations of workers and such led to great outbreaks of cholrea for instance, (and tuberculosis, although this one is just a disease problem, not really related to sewage). The sanitation movement started after it was discovered that contaiminated water was the source of cholera in the 1800's.

Back to the point, i think it would be amazing if we had to manage sanitation for our fortresses, considering they are incredbly packed agglomerations of people. Not only excrements, but for instance, kitchens, tanneries, farmer workshops and butchers should need a sewage connection to dump some of their waste. For those too pansy sensible about the word "feces", just call it sewage.

Obivously considering how we have a contaminant chaos in the current version, I'd rather see the whole system be overhauled somewhat before we implemented sewers, due to the obvious problems and chaos it could lead.

It amazes me the schyzoid sense of humor some people in this forum have. While we all worship the almight "Fun" with self-degratory irony and such, it seems most of those "OMFG SHIT? NO!!!!" people don't even recognize a good part of the pro-sewage voters mentioned drowing invaders in sewage more as a joke than a real fort mechanism. Of course, flows in dwarf fortress are always used as drowing tools, and this is a new kind of flow people wouldbe interested with, there's a whole novelity issue with this. I imagine a lot of people would post their sewage drowing traps eventually, but it is not like we would be drowing in such threads if such a thing was implemented. For me the "overflowing forums with shit trap threads" excuse is just a half-baked lame excuse for people being impeded by their own repressoins and taboos about a doubtlessly bothersome (if not awkward), but nevertheless absurdly relevant aspect of life.  ???
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2010, 08:44:50 pm »

I voted yes. I mostly agree with Djohaal. I'd be happy for generic waste or sewage, lots of different jobs would produce waste that could be collected in buckets and emptied either in a refuse pile or a designated sewage pit. Connecting certain workshops directly to the sewers, like how some require magma, would remove the need to manually dump the waste. Bathrooms could be built, over sewers if you have them built, where dwarves go to clean themselves and create waste, it can be assumed they use the toilet even though not stated.

The reason I want this is so that I can build functional sewers. As some find animal waste inappropriate make it more abstract but keep similar functionality. I agree it shouldn't be a priority but I see no reason why it shouldn't be added in this kind of abstract form.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2010, 02:04:03 am »

Me too, Vattic.

Also...
I'm not against it philosophically or ethically, but I don't think the current system could handle it.

Once the fundamental systems of DF have caught up to the point where fecal matter is actually feasible, it should be modded in. Hell, if it doesn't wreck the framerate too terribly, I may give it a shot myself. But until then I just don't think it's worth the trouble, and I definitely don't think it should be in vanilla.

So, why is that a "no"?  Who says it would be implemented now?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25