Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like feces in game

YES! (i would use it)
NO! (i would not use it, and i think it is pointless/unethical/gross etc.)
yes, but i would dissable it if it was an init option (all yes voters are assumed to be for an init option, only vote here if you think it should be included but you would not use it)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25

Author Topic: Feces vote  (Read 45594 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feces vote
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2010, 06:06:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the term 'sewage' also entails other form of waste.

Did you read the title of this thread, or the post itself?

The fact that you're only arguing about something so trivial as my proposal for an option to turn it off only shows that you really don't have any counter-points to the numerous arguments I've already made.

Huh? I'm aware that there would be uses for the feature. I never claimed otherwise. I'm just saying that I don't think the game could actually handle it very well at this point.

The moral of the story here is, as I've expressed before, that simply because it's possible to use features in unbelievably bizarre, perverse, and childish ways doesn't mean that the features should be condemned for it.

Right, but yanking the panties off somebody is a rather corner-case scenario that's hardly ever likely to come up. Well, that and the fact that "panties" don't actually exist, but I guess you could be referring to some other article of clothing just as easily.

Also, it's not just about whether extremely stupid things are possible, it's also about how likely they are to occur. I've seen poop-suggestion threads where the majority of posts in support of it seemed to like ideas like drowning people in the stuff, or having poop-waterfalls or whatever.

And like I've said, it's not even just about that, it's about whether or not the game handles it properly in the first place. It needs to properly discourage you from doing things like that (disease, unhappy thoughts, etc.) and also needs dwarves to actually clean things up properly for once.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Forpl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2010, 06:23:03 pm »

There isn't really anything to argue against in your latest post other than that it might have started as a thread about just feces and that people later came to the conclusion that simply calling it sewage would be a much better way to handle it. The whole point of a debate like this is to improve upon an idea and to argue whether it's feasible or not, and that we did.

I'm sure you would argue also that if I were to make a whole new thread dedicated to the topic of sewage and waste in general, that I would be doing the forums a disfavor as there are plenty of threads lying about that are dedicated to just such a topic, would you not?

Other than that I can't do anything other than agree with you on the rest. There are currently more important things which should be added or fixed, and that sewage/waste should come later. If Toady One wants it to be in -his- game, that is. Though I don't think it should be given as low a priority as some people suggest.

Also, she was wearing a thong. I just assumed that a thong in DF is a form of underwear, but perhaps it's something else.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:15:22 am by Forpl »
Or couldn't you just carry the vampires mutilated corpse, and then lick it a bit, when you were ready?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2010, 06:27:57 pm »

Yeah, thongs refer to what you're thinking of, although I don't know if they're always worn as "underwear", per se.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Forpl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2010, 06:41:19 pm »

I don't recall ever seeing them in Fortress mode, but that could be because I tend to skip over the part of the inventory that lists ordinary clothing.

I'll just go ahead and remove that last part there as it just sounded very weird once I proofread it.
Or couldn't you just carry the vampires mutilated corpse, and then lick it a bit, when you were ready?

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2010, 07:58:30 pm »

Adding excrement to dwarf fortress seems seems like a really shitty idea.

....Sorry, I just had to.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2010, 10:26:17 pm »

It seems yes is winning (if you include the third option)

Wee!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2010, 10:35:47 pm »

I think the whole "drowning elves in faeces" thing is largely because a lot of DF players' first response to any new liquid is to think "how can I use this to drown things?". Whether it be water, lava, sewage, blood, vomit, milk or booze. They'd probably try to drown elves in pure scorpion venom if they could.

I don't actually think the sewage trap would become that common, though that would depend on how it's handled. If the sewage becomes a contaminant that just ends up smeared on the walls of whatever the water is contained in like blood is, there's not going to be much entertainment value in subsequently pouring said water into your trade depot - although it might prove to be an efficient use of the second water system.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2010, 12:41:33 am »

As to how the nay sayers got the impression that the yay sayers want crap in the game so that they can smear it on their faces or fill this board with stupid stories of what happend with it.

Because I've seen countless posts about stuff like that. Hell, it's in the OP in this thread.

Its like drug use. Ok put it in when everything interesting is already in. Just put an INI setting to turn it off.

This is the worst approach to the question possible. Both of these points are designed to completely curtail any actual discussion of it. After all, why discuss whether or not a feature is actually worthwhile when you can just say "make it optional" and pretend that that makes it good?

Pretty weak. you see that I was responding to someone right? Thats why they call these things "threads" its an allusion to the serial nature of the discussion, where you might want to read back in the topic to fully understand a subsequent comment.
I am comfortable with my responses to his question. And the parallel to the drug question. I would say your response to me added nothing at all even to my post, much less the thread.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2010, 12:46:04 am »

[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2010, 04:04:54 pm »

@varkarrus

there is a reason i added 3 options:

it allows us to gauge how many people think it should be included for completeness, and also how many people would actually want to use it.

at the time of this writing roughly 52% are for it, but only about 42% would actually use it. i think the later metric is far more important to this discussion, because it signifies how many people would actually enjoy the effort toady put into it. at far less than half i thing it is fair to say that this is probably not worth the effort, no matter how much i would like to see it.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2010, 05:24:39 pm »

Silly Americans, its spelt faeces. And no, there is no reason for it. Theres already poison (i think its implemented?) so just rename it if you want to play with shit.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2010, 06:09:58 pm »

Silly Americans, its spelt faeces. And no, there is no reason for it. Theres already poison (i think its implemented?) so just rename it if you want to play with shit.

i don't want to play with shit, i want to have a full city, with taverns, slums, farmlands and sewers. i already make all this, i even mint coins with economy off. i want to have the game as full as possible

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2010, 04:26:48 am »

I don't think anybody's talking about the water used when people take baths or wash off a wall.
Actually, I, for one, would not mind this.
Current 'clean self at well in dining room' concept seems worse than any feces traps. They covered their tables with dozens of different blood, vomit, goo and extracts and now eat there!
Game definitely needs sewage system and proper cleanin even for current contaminants, esp. when said contaminants kill on contact.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2010, 06:30:15 am »

I've already got enough stone laying around my fort, eating my FPS, to want dwarves, humans, dog, and cats to be the equivalent of little stone generators.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2010, 08:05:43 pm »

The total "yes" votes slightly outnumber the "no" votes, but the NO! votes outnumber the YES! votes. Interesting.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25