Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like feces in game

YES! (i would use it)
NO! (i would not use it, and i think it is pointless/unethical/gross etc.)
yes, but i would dissable it if it was an init option (all yes voters are assumed to be for an init option, only vote here if you think it should be included but you would not use it)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25

Author Topic: Feces vote  (Read 45438 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Feces vote
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2010, 10:03:32 pm »

Well any urban setting has to deal with it. And through history how to deal with city waste there have been some awesome and clever ways to handle it. Whats so gross about chamber pot and a pit filled something marked as flith?

Though I doubt the more season players would do just chamber pots and go on to make an automated water power magma cleansing sewage system. As that sounds cool.

ANd well yes, you should be able to die in any contaminant and any liquid. It would be cool to make a huge soup pot brought to a slow simmer with magma at the base and dump elves in there.

Sewage mgm. would bring a lot of design challenges to a fortress. There are plenty of natural real world penalties for not doing so. There are also in game penalties and situations that can arise. Such as having theirs, vagabonds, cultist and invaders using the sewer system. We have the z layers enough to do a sewage system. With all sights having magma, it wouldnt be that hard of a design issue. Once channels are working the way they are suppose to, it would just be a refuse dumping spot for chamber pot contents.

Which would make waste issue an early to mid fort challenge to deal with for some. 
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2010, 12:48:39 am »

Okay, here's a question.

For those of you who are interested in it from a waste management perspective.  How would you feel if, instead of being referred to as feces or whatever, it was labeled as "wastewater" and grouped in with other things like mine tailings etc?

Because yeah.  I like the challenge, I REALLY don't like the invitation to immaturity, and I'm a lot more happier with people on the forums going "Cover the elves with wastewater!" than I am with "Cover the elves with feces!".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 05, 2010, 12:55:33 am »

I voted no, due to not particularly wanting to "drown elves in shit."

But sewer systems of generic filth would be an excellent addition, *if* they were not too problematic.  I'd personally like to see a system that comes into play with a mid-sized fortress, and presumes that smaller ones can handle their crap well enough: we don't need yet another vital system that the starting dwarves need to handle immediately.  Chamberpots could solve that, but assigning/creating another one for each room is annoying - we should try to avoid that.

Forcing dwarves to have another break in addition to the eating, drinking, sleeping, and normal breaks would be a bad idea.   Adding yet another cause for a dwarf to not, say, broker a trade to the caravan about to leave is not good.  Defecation won't be implemented at a realistic frequency, anyway.

About comparing vomit to blood, the problem is that vomit's more gratuitous, especially currently.  Chop a guy in half, you'd expect puddles of blood everywhere.  Putting your trade depot so it gets sun exposure, you wouldn't expect piles of vomit everywhere - it helps to make DF seem more cruder and inane than other games.

And if the poll had said "Yes: I want to make sewer systems" then I would have voted yes.  Saying something specific like "let's add feces" when "let's add sewers for waste management" is meant tends to imply that playing with shit detailed enough to be distinct from say, urine, is a focus of the system.  Which is not in my interest, for much the same reasons as Deathworks - if the system's there, it'll be used, and I don't like what most of it gets used for by an immature player.  That's not a whole reason to keep it out, but it's certainly less important, more production-time-consuming, and more risky than other systems that need to be in there now.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2010, 01:03:59 am »

Okay, here's a question.

For those of you who are interested in it from a waste management perspective.  How would you feel if, instead of being referred to as feces or whatever, it was labeled as "wastewater" and grouped in with other things like mine tailings etc?

Because yeah.  I like the challenge, I REALLY don't like the invitation to immaturity, and I'm a lot more happier with people on the forums going "Cover the elves with wastewater!" than I am with "Cover the elves with feces!".
I would be totally cool with that. It covers the parts that matter, while skirting the part s which are apparently unbearably revolting to some. This actually seems like an ideal solution to me.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2010, 01:10:38 am »

Again with the in there now bit. No one here that I've seen is asking for waste products to be added in top proirty but to be placed on the to-do list.

The name of the waste doesn't matter to me personally. Flith liquids that spew diseases if not kept under control does.

And I disagree that it should be at a mid level fort, but it should be an issue from the get go, one of the priority that need to be handled. c1400, village waste mgm. was a community effort, and remained that way until indoor plumbing.

ANd like hygiene and grooming, that are taken care of during break periods, defecating should also happen during those periods as well. Something like once a season would be enough for me to feel that my dorf go tinkle.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2010, 01:21:13 am »

I believe this approach was already approved by most of people who want it. There was according thread in df mode section with discussion on sewage, where exactly this was proposed.
And yes, it should be grouped with mine tailings, carpenter's sawdust, mason's stone dust, and so on. Lack of waste from dorfs themself (and i dont mean feces. There's much more trash besides that, even from eating) and workshops is unrealistic. Any city has to have waste disposal system, which includes dumps and trash burning beside sewage.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 05, 2010, 01:34:33 am »

from the OP

also consider that this poll is not asking *how* it should be implemented, just *if*. assume that it would be implemented like you want it (generic "filth," specific "poo" etc.) please take all the discussions on how to the appropriate threads.

Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 05, 2010, 01:34:43 am »

Perhaps it should have been labeled a "biological waste" vote rather than a "feces" vote...

Also, if this was indeed meant by the OP (which I think it is!!!), perhaps the OP should have been more explicit (though I had no trouble understanding this) in stating that this vote assumes that the "yes" vote implies implementation of feces eventually, not necessarily RIGHT NOW, and that a "yes" vote does not imply that the voter believes this to be the most pressing issue Toady should work on.

Oh, and also also, perhaps another vote should be started up that addresses not only IF people want bodily waste in the game, but also WHEN people would want it implemented.

Also also also:
if the system's there, it'll be used, and I don't like what most of it gets used for by an immature player.

Why would what other people do with the game hurt your DF experience?

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 05, 2010, 01:43:28 am »

Why would what other people do with the game hurt your DF experience?

because it will make its way onto the forums.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 05, 2010, 01:48:38 am »

Oh... fair enough, I guess.

The butcher

• Bay Watcher
  • \M/ Horns up brothers...horns up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 05, 2010, 01:53:18 am »

You know what?Im changing my mind about saying it shouldn't be put it the game.because as long as people don't act immature about it im fine.[luckily i forgot to vote last time]
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2010, 01:53:48 am »

What do you imagine would happen if Boatmurdered had feces as a feature?

Would you like that to be the introduction new players were given to the game?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 05, 2010, 02:02:00 am »

Assuming it was still mixed in with the death, slaughter, fire, miasma, vomit, elephants, and magma, I reckon it'd be just fine.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 05, 2010, 02:19:09 am »

Meh.  I wouldn't have wanted feces to be in the game at that stage of development, anyway.  Heck, I don't want it in at this time, neither.  BUT that's besides the point.

Boatmurdered was the way I was introduced to DF.  If it had poop in it, I could see what might have been done and what might have happened, but it is impossible to say how things would have gone down if poop was in existence in the game at that time.  I could speculate, though.  For those interested:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In sum, feces and bodily waste in Boatmurdered probably would have actually made the game MORE appealing to me than less, and not for reasons I would consider immature.  So, yes, I would have liked that to be the introduction new players were given to the game

EDIT:  I should probably also say that I think if feces and urine were implemented in a realistic fashion (AFTER OTHER PLANNED THINGS ARE IMPLEMENTED!!!), even if the amounts produced and frequency of waste expulsion were approximated and abstracted to about the same amount of food and liquid the dwarves take in, then it would probably not be worth most players' time and resources and trouble to try to do "immature" things with them, like making a 20 x 20 x 5 room of poop & pee to drown elves in.  It is my opinion that as the challenges of fortress management become more and more realistic (which I think is what would happen when a lot of what Toady has planned comes to fruition!!!), the ability to do immature things like making a huge tower of poop made of poop blocks surrounded by a moat of pee (though impressive!) would still exist but would have compelling costs associated with them.  I doubt that someone actually trying to stave off goblin sieges (again, after warfare and other aspects of life get their planned overhauls) would be able to afford to undertake such ridiculous endeavors without risking losing their fort.  I know this statement is redundant.  I'm just trying to be clear.  Poopy poopy butts.  The End.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:49:23 am by Andeerz »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 05, 2010, 03:00:09 am »

I'm perfectly happy with the use of euphemisms in this case, but I'd be hesitant to 1) make it always act as a liquid/fluid (because water is definitely not the only way of dealing with waste) and 2) lump it in with other kinds of waste (because they should have different effects, for example you wouldn't get flies breeding in mine tailings).
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25