Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like feces in game

YES! (i would use it)
NO! (i would not use it, and i think it is pointless/unethical/gross etc.)
yes, but i would dissable it if it was an init option (all yes voters are assumed to be for an init option, only vote here if you think it should be included but you would not use it)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

Author Topic: Feces vote  (Read 45600 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feces vote
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2010, 07:12:28 pm »

I really don't see why there's so much commentary on this topic. Most of the noisy people are just talking shit anyhow.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 03, 2010, 07:42:45 pm »

@jimmy

your going to get that on any contentious topic unfortunately. the community is almost split evenly, so there are going to be quite a few people on either side who feel strongly about the issue.

@tenebrais

that is for a different poll, that i will perhaps pull together at a later time. i would prefer to let this one cool off for a bit though. as long as this one is still active another poo vote would be difficult even if the aim were different. this one has done a good job of telling us how evenly divided the community is on the topic i think. next one (in, say, a month) can attempt to delve into the motivations behind the split.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

The butcher

• Bay Watcher
  • \M/ Horns up brothers...horns up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 03, 2010, 08:03:52 pm »

NO f*** NO!I have enough trouble cleaning out elven blood and vomit let alone feces.
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #153 on: May 03, 2010, 08:06:15 pm »

NO f*** NO!I have enough trouble cleaning out elven blood and vomit let alone feces.

Why I have a very subtle, warm and fuzzy feeling that people who post comments this long didn't even bother reading the original poster's ideas?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2010, 08:27:14 pm »

This is not what we're looking for:

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2010, 11:26:55 pm »

So its better to have a yes, yes and no vote stacked in favor of yes?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2010, 12:40:47 am »

2d forts? Are we still in 0.23?

And sorry, but even if your cultural taboos and repressions tell you to pretend feces don't exist, you can't pretend they don't when a cholera epidemic happens. Or some funnny e. Coli, or hepatitis B, so on.... If someone really wants to live by their taboos I pity them.
Many players still do pretty much 2D forts with a few z-levels if any. Not all, not me, but there are those who do, and it's not that bad a thing.
And just WHAT not wanting to have feces in a game has to do with disease outbreaks?
Is your idea of "people not liking feces" someone who poops in a corner and doesn't wash hands after wiping?
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2010, 01:28:12 am »

I think it would be interesting to require the management of wastes.

For one, it'd be another need you'd have to fill for your Dorfs - something more to do, I guess.

It could be handled via just a dumping labor - collecting/replacing and emptying chamberpots, like - or you could get fancy and build GREAT DWARVEN SEWERWORKS.  Possibly which could dump into a magmapit or something.  Alternatively your Dorf-toilets could flush with magma.  Fear the bidet.

If an area isn't properly sewerified/chamberpot-worker-attended, you could end up with dorfs throwing it out into the streets, like how it went in medieval cities (I think?  My history is kinda bad), thus giving you a dirty slum where diseases would breed and fester.  Dwarfy solution of periodically flooding the slum-tunnels out would be cool, too.

Alternatively, you could dig cesspits, and have to change out every so often due to filling up I guess.  Sorta like with garbage dumps, finding real estate that's close enough to be convenient but not close enough to be smelled might be an interesting challenge.  Uh.  I guess.  Alternatively you can of course drown your enemies in it like most are wont to.  Afterwards you could flood the countryside with it.  Fertilize your flowers, I guess.

I'd want it as an init option, though, definitely.  I'd also rather have bigger stuff in first, like improved hauling/minecarts/dumbwaiter-lifts-and-trams.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2010, 01:38:00 am »

If the question was honest it would read.

Yes, I think its cool to be annoying.
No, lets grow up
and
No, but if you do add it make it an init option so I don't have to ever be bothered with it.

EvilCartyen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2010, 01:51:56 am »

If the question was honest it would read.

Yes, I think its cool to be annoying.
No, lets grow up
and
No, but if you do add it make it an init option so I don't have to ever be bothered with it.

Right. Because the only reason people could have for wanting this is to annoy you personally.

Also, it's apparently non-adult behaviour to want a simulation to include one of the most important aspects of settlements through history - the problem with disposal of waste, possible contamination, disease and epidemics, etc. I clearly see that this is the Dwarf Fortress equivalent to putting your dick in someone's beer.

That doesn't mean the vote isn't laughably unscientific and manipulating, but you get my point. Why not grow up and stop painting everyone who thinks this is a fine idea as a 12 year old scat-fetischist AND have a decent poll one of these days? Not like we need another shouting competition about this, mind you, but it's a shame that half the people here believe more in shouting mindlessly than arguing.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 04, 2010, 01:55:37 am »

That is a valid point. Waste disposal has been a key issue with urban settlement.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 04, 2010, 02:01:18 am »

This is a game. A game supposed to be fun. Having to spend my gametme building infrastructure so the shit can flow does not fits into my definition of fun. Go gnaw on your feces somewhere else.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

EvilCartyen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 04, 2010, 02:05:56 am »

This is a game. A game supposed to be fun. Having to spend my gametme building infrastructure so the shit can flow does not fits into my definition of fun. Go gnaw on your feces somewhere else.

This is a simulation game. A simulation game cannot arguably simulate history and life in a halfway decent manner, if it pretends that NO CREATURES PRODUCE WASTE.

Also, it happens to fit my definition of fun. So I guess that cancels out your feeling of anti-fun. Go play your simplified simulations elsewhere?

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 04, 2010, 02:08:10 am »

This game also have no reproductive organs. Oh, and creatures breed via magical spores. This is also a fantasy strategy game, not a real life simulation of flowing shit. Go to the toilet and play with your so desired liquid there.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2010, 02:10:22 am »

How about you tone down your hostility levels?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25