Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like feces in game

YES! (i would use it)
NO! (i would not use it, and i think it is pointless/unethical/gross etc.)
yes, but i would dissable it if it was an init option (all yes voters are assumed to be for an init option, only vote here if you think it should be included but you would not use it)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25

Author Topic: Feces vote  (Read 46775 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Feces vote
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2010, 01:08:10 am »

Its the poo that sploshes in the corner of the bowl moving its corn bits back and forth in quick succession.

Maybe thats sinister poo.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2010, 11:28:45 am »

Biased

and i think it is pointless/unethical/gross etc.)

I voted No.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2010, 11:39:46 am »

For me the "overflowing forums with shit trap threads" excuse is just a half-baked lame excuse for people being impeded by their own repressoins and taboos about a doubtlessly bothersome (if not awkward), but nevertheless absurdly relevant aspect of life.  ???
You know most of those taboos and repressions are cultural and therefore not something you can just ignore because, heck, people is raised with them? Or, you know, people doesn't *want* to get rid of them?
2D forts would be quite impossible as well (I can only imagine a sewage system going on a lower z-level, connecting to residential and working areas and leading to a river or magma or some stinkhole), and the level of management and objects would put additional stress on both the players and the game. Also depending on implementation it might hinder "vertical apartment style" housing (or not).
I think this should be moddable in, but not part of vanilla. Perhaps linked to syndromes, having creatures drop pools of poison, that can be modded into feces if modders desire so.

2d forts? Are we still in 0.23?

And sorry, but even if your cultural taboos and repressions tell you to pretend feces don't exist, you can't pretend they don't when a cholera epidemic happens. Or some funnny e. Coli, or hepatitis B, so on.... If someone really wants to live by their taboos I pity them.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2010, 01:14:08 pm »

I voted no for the simple reason that there are at least 20 awesome things I could list off that I would far prefer to have eating up my framerate and Toady's dev time, and none of them are poo.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2010, 02:04:46 pm »

Well, something involving sewage would require things that are planned to be implemented at some point already; for instance, generalization of fluids. The same thing that allows fluids to be unique things like "Filth" and "Grime" would also allow Booze or Blood rivers, Molten Iron pools, pits of acid...

Giving units the ability to regularly spawn items or fluids in one way or annother is an oft-requested effect. Blood Beasts that leave trails of blood, Geese that lay golden eggs...

The only thing that really remains is the way that the AI works with Units producing waste.

And after all, if it's got an Init option...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2010, 05:54:45 pm »

It still does not follow that therefore feces are good.  60% of voters do not want feces in this game.  these things could be implemented without them.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2010, 06:57:11 pm »

It still does not follow that therefore feces are good.  60% of voters do not want feces in this game.  these things could be implemented without them.

Um... the statistics, AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE, as of the time of this post, show that only 46.9% of respondants are against the idea; the remaining 53.1% do want it; a small portion of that say that they would not regularly use it. As I said, implementing this would have fringe benefits for everyone- in fact, this would be relatively minor compared to the effects that fluid generalization as a whole would have, for instance.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2010, 07:21:00 pm »

YES!  209 (43.9%)
NO!  224 (47.1%)
Init  43 (9%)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2010, 07:28:05 pm »

Um... the statistics, AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE, as of the time of this post, show that only 46.9% of respondants are against the idea; the remaining 53.1% do want it; a small portion of that say that they would not regularly use it.
Reinvent and reinterpret how you like, but the fact remains that if they actually wanted it they'd use it.  Ergo, 60% of voters on this forum do not want it, a small proportion of which is willing to put up with it if they can turn it off.
As I said, implementing this would have fringe benefits for everyone
And less-than-fringe detriments for 60% of the people voting.  Fortunately there's no reason feces would have to be added along with these features.  Just because you want feces to throw doesn't mean anything remotely related has to include it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 07:30:56 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2010, 08:09:17 pm »

A compromise might be implementation of various smaller mechanics that can be combined together to simulate feces, such as adding required bodily processes to a creature (what if I want to make races that need to take in ambrosia at a certain time of month?) or allowing syndromes to be passed by water and generated by a result of various processes.

Adding these smaller features would have a larger and more generally beneficial effect on the game, and at the same time modding might result in the ability to simulate feces as well. It's the same manner of implementation that has been proposed for steam punk, and we already have an example in the potential implementation of genitalia.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2010, 08:44:20 pm »

I can't believe how popular this thread is.

All I want to know is....Why? Why is having your dwarves crapping being a game mechanic so important to you? Can't you just be content with digging a canal beneath their bedrooms, channeling out a tile and calling it a day?
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2010, 09:21:42 pm »

All I want to know is....Why? Why is having your dwarves crapping being a game mechanic so important to you? Can't you just be content with digging a canal beneath their bedrooms, channeling out a tile and calling it a day?
Nope. I have my whole fort in pool of bizarre mix of bloods, goo and vomit. They are literally knee-deep in it. I'd probably die from just a smell of it if would be one of my dorfs.
And I want this sh*t be washed off into sewers, not on my dining room's tables.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2010, 10:18:25 pm »

Um... the statistics, AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE, as of the time of this post, show that only 46.9% of respondants are against the idea; the remaining 53.1% do want it; a small portion of that say that they would not regularly use it.
Reinvent and reinterpret how you like, but the fact remains that if they actually wanted it they'd use it.  Ergo, 60% of voters on this forum do not want it, a small proportion of which is willing to put up with it if they can turn it off.
As I said, implementing this would have fringe benefits for everyone
And less-than-fringe detriments for 60% of the people voting.  Fortunately there's no reason feces would have to be added along with these features.  Just because you want feces to throw doesn't mean anything remotely related has to include it.

Tell you what. I'll mail you one of these:

And you calm down a bit.

What "Fringe Detriments" would this include? Will the game somehow be contaminated to such a degree that you can't even accept it turned off?

The reasoning for this, for those just tuning in, is that Sewers are interesting places to explore and build, and tactical concerns that large fortresses can deal with in interesting ways.

And I think that if the people that voted for the Init option really meant "No", they'd say "No".

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2010, 11:14:03 pm »

I can't believe how popular this thread is.

A proper sewage system was a major part of what made a city great at this tech level. It's a considerable engineering hurdle, especially underground. And it allows the possibility for authentic military endeavors utilizing infection. To many people, that trumps the "poop is icky" argument.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2010, 11:57:49 pm »

Really, there are more better things(in my opinion) to implement before Toady even considers putting in poo.

Finishing the army arc, persistent/active world, leaving a fort and coming back as an adventurer or taking control of it again after doing something else and other stuff.

The INIT option doesn't necessarily mean yes.  Its the more reasonable middle ground... it is also for people who don't care as much either way pick.  (Disclaimer: Generalization does not apply to everyone.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25