Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merge Liquids  (Read 970 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merge Liquids
« on: April 15, 2010, 05:01:02 pm »

So, this is about as much a question as it is a suggestion, but... are there any plans to merge liquid systems (i.e., blood/booze/molten rocks and water/magma)?

Specifically, will it ever be possible to *actually* make a waterfall of blood, or let dwarves practice swimming in booze?

I read over the development stuff, and I didn't see any mention of this, but I'm holding on to hope...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Merge Liquids
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 05:28:01 pm »

let dwarves practice swimming in booze?
UristMcSwimmer: Hey, look, it's a waterfall of booze!
UristMcDrunk: Perfect!
*Loud slurping noises*
*UristMcDrunk has drowned.*
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:00:17 pm »

This was a dev item in the old system, now taken down to be worked on:

# Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer would be able to be supported as a map flow at a given time.

It's also been suggested many times, although it's difficult to search for.  What it comes down to is performance -- flows are already very CPU-intensive, and if they start mixing and diluting it gets an order of magnitude worse (note that the two current flows conveniently don't mix).  Also, flows are stored as part of the map tiles, which for performance reasons has to be very rigidly structured and therefore can't easily accomodate extra data.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:46:12 am »

This was a dev item in the old system, now taken down to be worked on:

# Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer would be able to be supported as a map flow at a given time.

Thanks... I guess I'll wait for better CPUs, then.

By the way, where would I find... Bloats? I read the main dev log page, but it just had a bunch of things labeled Core- I'd like to read more if I could, the programming seems fascinating.

It's also been suggested many times, although it's difficult to search for.  What it comes down to is performance -- flows are already very CPU-intensive, and if they start mixing and diluting it gets an order of magnitude worse (note that the two current flows conveniently don't mix).  Also, flows are stored as part of the map tiles, which for performance reasons has to be very rigidly structured and therefore can't easily accomodate extra data.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 02:53:17 am »

Here's the Google cache of the old dev_single.

It's kind of unreadable now because of that background image, but there are of course ways to get rid of that.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:54:03 am »

Blood would rot and turn into sludge. Hate to rain on your parade but it just doesn't work as a flow.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 08:30:43 am »

Blood would rot and turn into sludge. Hate to rain on your parade but it just doesn't work as a flow.

That just means you need a constant fresh supply.  I think most people looking to make bloodfalls would find this requirement enjoyable  ;)