Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Build me a computer  (Read 713 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Build me a computer
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:10:28 pm »

Okay folks, I have a dilemma. My computer is over half a decade old, and sorely needs to be replaced. I know relatively little about hardware, but I want to build a computer from parts, so I can have more control over what I put in the machine, and can do so at a lower cost. I've got the resources and expertise to be able to assemble the thing, but I first need help selecting parts. I'm aiming to be under $999 in parts, preferably in the vicinity of $600-800.

When looking over parts, I'm considering that I do a fair bit of gaming, so I'd like it to be fairly powerful, with a reasonable storage capacity. My first priority is general processing power. Second, I'd like mid-to-high graphics capabilities. Third, I want reasonable storage capacity (150Gb has been fine in the past, but I know that's pretty skimpy these days). I don't necessarily want top-of-the-line components, but I'd like to use generally solid parts all around, from the power supply and cables, to the motherboard and hardrive, etc. Also, I intend to do LAN parties and whatnot with this thing, so portability and durability are plusses. I'm intending to run XP (possibly Windows 7) ideally with a little Ubuntu partition too, if it's relevant.

Lacking personal experience with the science of Computer Frankensteining, I come to you guys for advice. If you've got a new computer, what brands and specific parts do you recomend and/or trust? What services are best to look for parts on? How best can I go about making a fairly inexpensive, but modern machine?

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
Re: Build me a computer
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 04:19:20 pm »

Well, while waiting for some more -*Ahem*- educated replies, you could have a look at Newegg.com

If you want good bang for your buck with a processor, this one's pretty good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:22:19 pm by Red Fortune »
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:47:56 pm »

Find out the specs for Toady's computer. He claims it can run DF without lag.

Anything capable of that is a monster rig.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:17:46 pm »

I would go with an Intel processor.  I would definitely go with the i7 (I think it's more consumer orientated than the Xeon, then again, I haven't much compared their differences).  Do you include case and OS into the cost?  What about power supply?  While some people will stress the importance of a good GPU, never slack on the CPU.  I learned this from trying to play a massive game of Sins of a Solar Empire with four hundred planets.  As far as videocards go you can't go wrong with either brand, get something capable of Crossfore or SLI, which is most of them these days.

This is a great site to see various benchmark performances submitted by users.  You can compare performance vs the costs on your own if you really want to maximize what you get for your money. 

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/
http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/

Also, make sure anything you get is compatible.  For example, DDR3 memory doesn't work in a DDR2 slot and vice versa.  Stay away from ECC/registered memory unless your motherboard supports it (I know some guy that bought ECC memory and his machine wouldn't even post, what a waste of money).  Make sure the socket is correct for the CPU.  It's usually easier and a better deal to buy a motherboard with the CPU bundled together on a site like newegg.  Make sure your motherboard has IDE slots if you're using IDE devices like DVD drives or running your old hard drive in tandem with a new one.  Do you want a dedicated sound card?  Do you care about power consumption?     

I can make some specific recommendations if you answer the above questions. 

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:58:40 am »

Thanks for the links Kebooo! Really interesting stuff there.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 08:02:20 am »

Well, while waiting for some more -*Ahem*- educated replies, you could have a look at Newegg.com

If you want good bang for your buck with a processor, this one's pretty good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

Personally I would have gone with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215&cm_re=i5-_-19-115-215-_-Product which is only a little more expensive but a much nicer chip :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 04:32:16 pm »

On the main page of newegg.com, about halfway down on the right, is a link to "build your own" that contains a bunch of bundles, ranging anywhere from $200 to $4000.  That's a good place to start, because Newegg has excellent prices as is, and all these bundles come with rebates.

Just go over all the parts in the bundle, as I don't think any of them (except the really, really pricey ones) contain all the parts you'll need; they usually don't have a video card and/or a disc drive, sometimes missing other things too.  You'd also need to buy a monitor separately, and for all of those I recommend Newegg.  Also make sure that everything comes with the proper cabling (an OEM hardrive may not come with SATA cables, but the motherboard probably will [unless it is OEM as well], and I've seen many a monitor with DVI or HDMI support only bundled with a VGA cable).

And my computer can run DF lag-free, and it was purchased from Newegg during the Windows 7 rebates for just under $700.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:35:36 pm by Trigonous »
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?