Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improved theivery  (Read 787 times)

foolcow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improved theivery
« on: April 15, 2010, 03:53:17 pm »

One thing that bothers me is that I can seal all my dwarves inside the fortress during a siege, and when the siegers leave I can go out and collect all the valuable equipment from dead goblins and dead dwarves (and what was left in the trade depot).  The goblins should take the opportunity to grab everything they can get their hands on.

Maybe thieves should be far more likely to show up if a previous thief was successful.  Add a few thieves to the sieging force, and you should end up with a steady stream of thieves gathering all the wealth left outdoors.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved theivery
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 04:45:29 pm »

Definitely.  Whenever you leave an angry megabeast or goblin horde outside, they should completely destroy/steal everything they can get their hands on, including trees and bushes and wild animals.  Unless it's against their nature, of course.  I got a mountain titan in the form of a giant, four-horned koala.  I imagine he would destroy all my buildings and man-made objects, and maybe eat some of the trees and bushes, but not wantonly destroy like sieging goblinoids.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

foolcow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:25:51 am »

Definitely.  Whenever you leave an angry megabeast or goblin horde outside, they should completely destroy/steal everything they can get their hands on, including trees and bushes and wild animals.  Unless it's against their nature, of course.  I got a mountain titan in the form of a giant, four-horned koala.  I imagine he would destroy all my buildings and man-made objects, and maybe eat some of the trees and bushes, but not wantonly destroy like sieging goblinoids.

Why would goblins want to "steal" trees and bushes?  Those things are plentiful.  They grow almost everywhere.

I also don't see what megabeasts and titans have to do with this.  I don't think they're motivated by economics.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:43:41 am »

I didn't think they should steal them, I thought they should destroy them.  Haven't you seen The Two Towers?  Goblins hate trees, man.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:53:09 am »

Only so they can fuel their vast military-industrial complex. And the fact that trees punt them around.

I also don't see what megabeasts and titans have to do with this.  I don't think they're motivated by economics.

A classical dragon would probably like dwarvern riches very much.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 01:24:14 am »

And seriously, why is that giant, four-horned ash koala killing all your dwarves?  Because that's his niche?  To avenge the death of his favorite second-cousin?  No!  It's because he's got a bad attitude.  Maybe Bronze Colossi and Forgotten Beasts and Titans &c should tear things up, take things and punt other things for the same reason they rearranged your marksdwarf's face--just because they're jerks.

And sure, some of them can make a nest out of it.  That'd be pretty fun, too.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 04:45:50 am »

This has been suggested a couple thousand times before, but yes, I support it wholeheartedly :) . Depending on how much time they have and how many they are, etc., invaders should burn, plunder, pillage and in general be outright assholes, especially if you start to bunker up inside your fortress so that there's no one left outside to stop them. Then even if the siege fails, they'll have damaged your ability to build, trade and feed your population, making subsequent sieges easier. We'll probably see poisoning of ponds and wells and whatnot further down the road, too, and maybe even invaders throwing stuff down any ventilation shafts they find.

If I was in charge of a human siege force and met locked doors, I'd cut down the trees, start fires to burn down farm plots and shrubs, steal as much as I could from the outer stockpiles and burn the rest, and all the while construct siege engines and shelter and whatnot. Invaders should really bring tents and whatnot anyway.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:48:12 am by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 09:42:28 am »

The goblins shouldn't destroy the forests, per se; they should light fires and then bugger the hell off.  Basically, attempt to smoke you out/render the area unlivible.  But they certainly wouldn't want to be caught in the middle of it.  Possibly, any siege that manages to leave should consider sieging again sooner (altrnatively the value of what they steal, for determining when the next siege is, should be modified by their casualties.  More casualties means what they got seems less valuable, less casualties means free money).

And goblin slash and burn should count against your elven tree-killing limit   :D