Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More semi-megabeasts and megabeasts!  (Read 1010 times)

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
More semi-megabeasts and megabeasts!
« on: December 20, 2007, 11:42:00 am »

Inspired by a thread in the modding forum, I realized that just four of each gets boring fast... in adventure, or in fortress mode. And as easily as they can be modded in, I'd like to see more in vanilla DF, as well. So, more is always good, right? Suggestions!

Semi-megabeasts:
Giant Cave Spiders. Make them smbs, and replace the current adventurer's bane with Large Cave Spiders, which do less bite damage and maybe are vulnerable to pain, as well? It'd help cut down on premature adventurer deaths.

Iron Men. Given that they drop MASTERPIECE statues, it only seems right that they should at least be smbs. They currently feel far too easy to kill, given that, you know, they're made of IRON.

Wyvern. The two-legged lesser kin of dragons, with powerful jaws and a paralyzing stinger. Similar to the Dungeons and Dragons incarnations, if you've ever seen those.

And more?

Megabeasts: Different types of dragons, based on climate, would be nice. Also:

Chimera. Your typical goat-headed, serpent-headed and lion-headed monstrosity. Has dragon firebreath, from the serpent head? Or is it the goat head?

I'd also like to see gryphons in as tameable, mountable creatures, but that's probably just my love of WCIII's Gryphon Riders IT'S HAMMER TIME

If anyone has any other ideas for megabeasts or semi-megabeasts, feel free to add them.

[ December 20, 2007: Message edited by: Tyrving ]

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More semi-megabeasts and megabeasts!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 11:55:00 am »

I have a temptation to just bring out the old Monster Manual and submit everything with a CR above 12.

That being said, slightly more serious answer follows:

Dragons (I think there's only the one now?) could be expanded upon:

Currently, there's only one type of dragon, and it apparently is vulnerable to magma.  I think you could split it into several varieties, each with different mannerisms.
Green Dragon - identical to the current one.
Red Dragon - Slightly more dangerous, more prone to fire breathing, and isn't bothered by magma.  However, it drowns in water quite easily.
Blue Dragon - Breathes ice/water?  Leaves puddles and mud in its wake, can't drown, but is vulnerable to magma.
Brown Dragon - Tunnels.  Toady One said there'd be Goblin tunnelers, right?  Well, you might be able to include tunneling dragons, then?
Baby Dragons - Maybe certain areas have a native Dragon, and this Dragon, if not dispatched from the region promptly, will lay eggs...from which baby dragons emerge, being somewhat less dangerous but eventually growing up.
Ancient Dragons/Wyrms - Much more dangerous versions of the various coloured dragons.

Also, Gryphons and Rocs.  Gryphons being more semi-megabeast, and Rocs being gargantuan elephant-carrying (Dropping?) monstrosities (birds).  This definition of a Roc was taken from the story of Sinbad the Sailor.

Skeletal/Zombie versions of existing megabeasts, when playing on Haunted terrain.

Giant serpents - Being several tiles long and cabable of swallowing dwarves whole - swallowed dwarves can be rescued if the serpent is killed quickly enough.

That's all I've got for now.

[ December 20, 2007: Message edited by: erendor ]

Nikinyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »

How about something like Unseen Horror. Invisible beast that arrives without announcement and starts to kill every living thing. The idea is that you can't see it in the unit list (at list until it becomes visible because of dwarven blood covering). Then you can locate and try to kill it (which wouldn't be easy because it's hard to hit something barely visible).
Dwarf Fortress - The universe where Elves look like Elephants.

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »

GIANT SWARM OF BEES -

Abilities:

• Controls bees
  • Covers people in bees
  • Covers bees in more bees

[ December 20, 2007: Message edited by: Captain Failmore ]

A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 01:36:00 pm »

You could check out this topic for some new megabeasts.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 02:22:00 pm »

Yeah, you can mod these things in for the most part.   I can imagine some of the stuff Toady will get around to putting in will be awesome.

As for a bunch of different dragons:  I'd rather they not end up like D&D.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »

I'm (slowly) working on a fox creature/civ mod (the language is taking the longest) that includes a nine-tailed demon fox as a megabeast. (I thought of making 2- through 8-tailed foxes with increasing powers, but given that I've already put in an array of real-world fox species to rival gibbons, it seemed a little excessive.)
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Failmore:
<STRONG>  

GIANT SWARM OF BEES -

Abilities:

• Controls bees
  • Covers people in bees
  • Covers bees in more bees

[ December 20, 2007: Message edited by: Captain Failmore ]</STRONG>

Release the dogs!
Release the bees!
Release the dogs with bees in their mouths so when they bark they shoot bees at you!

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

and lo,
the bees

Anything that makes giant cave spiders less common in adventure mode is more than welcome.

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 03:48:00 pm »

Are those megabees or semi-megabees?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Are those megabees or semi-megabees?</STRONG>

*rimshot*
*groan*

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 09:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Are those megabees or semi-megabees?</STRONG>

I'd imagine that'd depend on where you're at, and if they're Africanized bees or true African honeyb- OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES