Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Making dogs not totally worthless again?  (Read 2471 times)

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making dogs not totally worthless again?
« on: April 15, 2010, 02:47:39 pm »

Six war dogs. One naked poorly skilled goblin = Six dead and/or grievously injured war dogs and a slightly bruised goblin.

I don't expect dogs to stand up to weapons or one-shot goblins or anything but when a dog bite only manages to 'dent' the skin before they get their eyes gouged out by desperate nude goblins (who managed to survive a execution tower dropping because all the other dead goblins broke its fall), something's screwy. I know the material system needs tweaking, so where would I begin?

I'd at the very least like to be able to assign four of them to a berserk novice fish dissectors and expect them to be able to at least incapacitate him before he breaks all their bones and continues his rampage unharmed.

Plus it'd be nice to have a standin for the broken military since that's sort of hit or miss right now.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:46:01 pm by Rutilant »

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making dogs not toally worthless again?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:04:44 pm »

Without getting into really fancy stuff like adamantine skin, a relatively more basic way would be to add stats to strength/agi/toughness.
You could add the following tags to dogs

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Granted 5000 is the cap, that may or not be overpowered. Alternatively or both, you could change the sizes. Dogs have a final body size tag (that is, the size when they grow up) of    [BODY_SIZE:2:0:30000]. You can up the 30000 (for reference, a dwarf/goblin is 60000.)

Again, there's other ways to mod them for power, but these are the simpler methods I know of.

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:14:21 pm »

Make sure the dog's bite is an edged attack and not a blunt one. Those teeth should be sharp.
Increase the penetration depth of their attack, so they can at least get through the skin. Increase the MAX_EDGE of their teeth to make them sharper so they penetrate more easily.
Increase the thickness of their skin to make it tougher.

Other than that, you'll probably need to mod the materials....

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:22:43 pm »

Thanks for the replies!

Make sure the dog's bite is an edged attack and not a blunt one. Those teeth should be sharp.
Increase the penetration depth of their attack, so they can at least get through the skin. Increase the MAX_EDGE of their teeth to make them sharper so they penetrate more easily.
Increase the thickness of their skin to make it tougher.

Other than that, you'll probably need to mod the materials....

I think it's  edged already - is that [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]?
Is [ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:] what controls the depth, or just the percentage that it will penetrate?

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:39:29 pm »

I'm noticing that goblin versus dog, the dog tries to attack exactly once during the fight and then the goblin knocks it over. It then spends every frame trying to stand up only to instantly get knocked over again and never even tries to attack the goblin until it's dead.  Is that because I can't spawn war dogs in the arena or could this be happening in fortress mode too?

ArPharazon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 03:43:43 pm »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Making dogs not totally worthless again?
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 03:47:13 pm »

Rutilant: it happens because of the size difference. The war/hunting status doesn't change the size.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 03:51:34 pm »

O hai, I'll just leave this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-baiting#In_the_Potteries

So according to that article a human is almost disemboweled by a muzzled dog but a dwarf knocks a dog unconscious but it takes forever. AWESOME!

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks, Deon.. What does the war and hunting status change, anyway?

As an aside, I set [MAX_EDGE:5000] on the tooth material and now, though a one on one fight a dog will lose because of a quirk involving repeated charging and standing being the only priority a dog seems to have, two dogs versus one goblin (who uses ONE dog anyway?) results in the teeth tearing the goblin's skin enough to bleed and the goblin will eventually bleed out and the dogs' bruises quickly heal.

One side effect I'm predicting of buffing teeth, is that a humanoid will suddenly become more dangerous if they lose both their arms and start biting..

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 04:19:36 pm »

Well I modded shells onto mine though the only time thus far they've hit the shell was a kobold stabbing a puppy with an iron dagger and promptly shattering the shell.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 05:16:59 pm »

If you are worried about making rabid dwarves the military of choice due to the buffing of teeth you could create a second template along the likes of "predator teeth", and simply use it rather than normal teeth for dogs, cats, tigers and other sharp-toothed critters.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:01:20 am »

How much of a size difference lets a combatant knock over their opponent automatically?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 12:04:03 am »

Have you tried giving them fangs that infect with rabies?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 12:23:15 am »

I don't think rabies will drop a goblin when they are only attacking it once before they start to lay down and take hits for as long as they keep breathing. Having rabid pets like it is nothing doesn't really fit with the mood of most people's dwarves either.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 12:36:12 am »

Have you tried giving them fangs that infect with rabies?

Sadly, there's not yet a way to recreate rabies just yet either.
Pages: [1] 2