Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: newbie question! why no immigrants first season?  (Read 813 times)

kunwon1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
newbie question! why no immigrants first season?
« on: April 15, 2010, 01:47:46 pm »

hello, i've recently played through the tutorials on after action reporter (most of them) and I think i have a pretty good grasp of most of the basic concepts. I've created my first fortress without using the tutorial savegame, and the first wave of migrants seems to have skipped me, I get the message:

The fortress attracted no migrants this season

doesn't seem to give a reason.. is this normal? I have a bunch of beds, a dining room, a meeting hall, plenty of booze and food.. i'm thinking i'm probably gonna restart because i don't want to wait another season for migrants, unless this is normal your first season

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: newbie question! why no immigrants first season?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 01:55:41 pm »

Hmm, it happens, what version?   I'm usually happy not to get too many migs in the first little bit as they are annoying. 

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 01:57:14 pm »

You essentially never get migrants in the first spring, and you always embark at the beginning of spring. This is perfectly normal behavior.

If you're playing 40d (which I would recommend for a new player, as it is much, much easier and better-understood than 31.0x, and is the version most tutorials out there use), you're also unlikely to get migrants during the first summer, and probably not during the first autumn or winter.

Do note that most of the time more migrants is actually a bad thing, as it's tricky for new players in particular to keep them all busy and otherwise they just eat your food and drink your booze. Since you'll often get 20+ migrants in the first wave, dealing with the sudden influx can be very tricky.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

kunwon1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:57:52 pm »

0.28.181.40d

so it happens at random sometimes?

kunwon1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:58:26 pm »

ah, okay. thanks for the tip!

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 02:04:44 pm »

I think you don't get migs till after the first trader in that ver?  Been a while.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 02:05:46 pm »

I'd be over the moon if this happened :D

less migrants = less to think about and organise, more skill increases for the existing crew, and less food being eaten!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 02:52:45 pm »

0.28.181.40d

so it happens at random sometimes?

It's determined by your fortress wealth and how much richer the trader left your fortress each autumn. The more wealth you have accumulated, the more migrant waves.
Also, it affects to the size of the wave, at least slightly. Usually you get enough wealth during the year that it results continuous waves of 20+ migrants, but not always.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."