Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MOVED: The forum story because apparently I deserves to be here.  (Read 2108 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile

I suggest that the people of the Bay12Forums start a Forum Story. You may be unaware of what a forum story is; a forum story is a story ran by the people who wish to take part, people make their characters propose and discuss a plot/theme/situation and then the participants write sections of the story, building on what the man (or woman) has written before him. It has worked on my second forum (Tyranid Mod) and is hugely successful there. For example: Most of the people on the forum have created a character and they take turns in writing a story that takes place in a huge demonic maze, the characters have superpowers or magic, and attempt to get out of it fighting antagonists and magical beings on the way. I suggest we do something different although the theme of a huge maze is epic and I wouldn't mind doing a second one (my characters name is Urist :3).
 You do not write just for your character although it is recommended on the introduction post of your character as you can set up and present your character as you wish.

I would like to hear feedback from whoever views this thread on their thoughts on the matter, whether it should be carried out, where it should be done or any problems they have with the concept or questions.

Thanks, HR234

Note: It is not a game as such, there is no game master and there are no rules. Character creation can be as deep and complex as you want it to be. It is a STORY, except the fun of it is that different people write the same story.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: MOVED: The forum story because apparently I deserves to be here.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:07:33 pm »

So it's collaborative fiction?

Are there guidelines for when one author leaves off and another begins? What happens when one author is about to post his story and someone else gets in first, and their work invalidates his entire work?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:09:13 pm »

Throw a hat at Vegeta Rashilul.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:14:36 pm »

Throw a hat at Vegeta Rashilul.
Sure, if you throw your glasses

That's what knives are for. Magical knives. That glow green. On chains. That are actually snakes. Or something like that.

Anyway, t'would be fun, you should probably kickstart it though.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:18:49 pm by Rashilul »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:16:47 pm »

My sword is longer than its sheath just because.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:29:53 pm »

My knives are shorter than my fingers just because.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 12:39:17 pm »

Do they glow green only if they are on the snake-chains?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:01:54 pm by Rashilul »

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 01:01:51 pm »

Ok, so basically We need a Plot or theme. I would say the Demonic Maze because that is a rather fun idea. Your characters need to have some interesting power be it Mechanical Implants or Plasma or Magic or whatever just make it interesting. So I might make a character like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So you can ma eyour own characters, however you will only have full control of your babies for the first post and then they just become characters in a story
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 01:03:44 pm »

Then I am Camina and I have a sword longer than my sheath just because.
I lived underground until I ate a mole and grew hands to dig upwards onto the demonic maze that should be Namek.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 01:06:10 pm »

Oh man, I am so tempted to make my avatar my character...
"Rashilul puts his AWESOME HAT back on as the unicorn lies, bleeding to death. He says in a quiet voice, "You've just been hit by... a smooth criminal!"

Anyway, demonic maze, all for it.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 01:15:47 pm »

Well while you guys are doing Characters it would be useful to think up an Antagonist or something

Also the Maze in the original had different sections that would change very suddenly ( Like the different areas in WoW )

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 01:19:44 pm »

We don't have an antagonist right now besides the Maze.

*hacks at the walls*

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 01:34:09 pm »

Knives and hats are useless for digging D:

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 01:37:37 pm »

I have an idea for padding the story:

Several people from around the Human world are taken from their home countries at different points in Time. Each of these Humans has a special power that makes them different from the rest of human race and have been mysteriously selected by the seemingly Sentient maze. Their only task: escape the maze and return home. The catch: They do not have any idea where they are headed and the environment is often hostile and extremely deadly.

I will make my Character now:

Name: Mustafa ( Earth Prophet )
Power: Musafa has power over the environment. He can telekinetically move Rocks, Sand or even water with his mind. His powers are limited and he is certainly not overpowered
History: Mustafa started life in Middle Ages Arabia. He spent some time as a swordsmith before he stumbled upon a Portal to the maze.
Personality: Serious, his only goal is too break out of the maze. He does not want to make friends or fornicate with any of the new members and only fraternizes with the group because he does not want to die and wishes to return to his homeland of Arabia

Pages: [1] 2 3