Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flame traps!  (Read 2048 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flame traps!
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:16:53 am »

Works like a weapon trap except it hits the target with flames instead of weapons when they pass over it.  Construction would require a single mechanism and maybe a pipe section and it would need fuel such as coke or charcoal and perhaps rendered fat to operate.  Damage potential should be relatively high since it requires more maintenance and valuable fuel.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flame traps!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:28:29 am »

Works like a weapon trap except it hits the target with flames instead of weapons when they pass over it.  Construction would require a single mechanism and maybe a pipe section and it would need fuel such as coke or charcoal and perhaps rendered fat to operate.  Damage potential should be relatively high since it requires more maintenance and valuable fuel.
It's here. We call it the "magma drowning chamber"

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:40:51 am »

It's a very cool idea (I've been thinking of flame throwers as siege engines, myself), but firstly, I personally think that it should have a higher priority to make traps and mechanics realistic (ie. not being able to simply slap down a magical invisible cage in the middle of a hallway and wait for a goblin to stumble into it), and secondly, burning creatures are a grave threat both to your fortress and FPS.

Dwarf Fortress being what it is, I picture this scene:

Winnie the Grizzly Bear comes lumbering by to raid your booze stockpile and on his way in gets torched by the flame trap. Unabated, he continues on, filling your hallway with smoke and setting fire to the chained guard dog and a warrior who runs away to the meeting hall, setting fire to the other dwarves, who were throwing a party there. The bear then reaches the booze stockpile and ignites the nearest barrel, causing an explosion that wipes out your entire food and booze supply and fills the entire fortress with smoke. Then, tantrum spirals. Then, survivors killed by goblin raid.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:43:02 am by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:46:12 pm »

It's a very cool idea (I've been thinking of flame throwers as siege engines, myself), but firstly, I personally think that it should have a higher priority to make traps and mechanics realistic (ie. not being able to simply slap down a magical invisible cage in the middle of a hallway and wait for a goblin to stumble into it), and secondly, burning creatures are a grave threat both to your fortress and FPS.

Dwarf Fortress being what it is, I picture this scene:

Winnie the Grizzly Bear comes lumbering by to raid your booze stockpile and on his way in gets torched by the flame trap. Unabated, he continues on, filling your hallway with smoke and setting fire to the chained guard dog and a warrior who runs away to the meeting hall, setting fire to the other dwarves, who were throwing a party there. The bear then reaches the booze stockpile and ignites the nearest barrel, causing an explosion that wipes out your entire food and booze supply and fills the entire fortress with smoke. Then, tantrum spirals. Then, survivors killed by goblin raid.

How is that not an argument in favor of fire traps?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 06:39:20 pm »

The bear then reaches the booze stockpile and ignites the nearest barrel, causing an explosion that wipes out your entire food and booze supply and fills the entire fortress with smoke.

Repeat after me: "Booze does not explode".

It could burn (once it reaches 832°F/444°C), but all you're likely to see is it boiling away (at 182°F/83°C) in a harmless red cloud.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:43:07 pm »

The bear then reaches the booze stockpile and ignites the nearest barrel, causing an explosion that wipes out your entire food and booze supply and fills the entire fortress with smoke.

Repeat after me: "Booze does not explode".

It could burn (once it reaches 832°F/444°C), but all you're likely to see is it boiling away (at 182°F/83°C) in a harmless red cloud.

The lack of explosive booze is one of the biggest disappointments in the game.

Booze sealed in barrel = alcohol vaper pressure = explosive.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 07:17:13 pm »

We need that chemical compound the Romans had that caught on fire when it touched water.  We don't even know how they did it to this day.

Imagine getting caught on fire and jumping in a lake to put it out.  Only to have it nearly explode with the abundant fuel.  >:)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 07:32:16 pm »

as a way of keeping the trap from geting over powerd
a range of fuel's
i.e.
water even if you add salt it is not too hot
but quicklime can be add to water to heat it.
fat and oil is hotter but need to be kept hot
acids/venom need no heat but based of power of the venom or acid.

all liquid traps need power to work there pumps,
some need to be keept hot to work(at room temp oil is a joke)

edit:quicklime is the most likey one.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 08:39:15 pm »

We need that chemical compound the Romans had that caught on fire when it touched water.  We don't even know how they did it to this day.

Imagine getting caught on fire and jumping in a lake to put it out.  Only to have it nearly explode with the abundant fuel.  >:)

It is called Sodium

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 12:06:53 am »

It is called Sodium

What he's referring to is "Greek Fire" the formula for which has been lost for centuries. There are a number of compounds that do the same thing, but we have no idea which, if any, of those known was used. It did not, however burn water. Water merely served to ignite it. (Sand and urine were the only recorded extinguishing agents.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 12:49:52 am »

Compounds have been concocted the display all the known properties of Greek fire using only materials they would have had available. It's not so much unknown as it is "unsure which one they actually used."

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 02:51:22 am »

It is called Sodium
Actually it's Cesium.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 06:46:30 am »

Heated sand is a devastating weapon. Goggles Armor does nothing to protect you since the sand pours in from the tiny holes and seams. Mind you, this isn't something you launch, you pour it on them. Don't get any ideas involving catapults, it won't work.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 07:53:28 am »

It is called Sodium
Actually it's Cesium.
Most of the metals that end in 'ium' work for that.
Sodium and Calcium are some of the more explodey however.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 08:10:36 am »

Most of the metals that end in 'ium' work for that.
Sodium and Calcium are some of the more explodey however.

Calcium is not explodey, you meant Cesium which is. Sodium isn't either but does react with water.

Potassium is more reactive than Sodium but less so than others, Francium is fairly bad and will react with water in the air too.

Basically all the Alkali metals react to some extent with water.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: [1] 2