Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I get a pile of bones?  (Read 2187 times)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I get a pile of bones?
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:36:17 am »

I'm trying to set up a stockpile that only holds bones (to prevent miasma) but I can't seen to find the option to set that up.  Any ideas? Thanks

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get a pile of bones?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:43:10 am »

Refuse > body parts.

It will also include horns, skulls, hooves and a couple of other things. Some of the parts can't be used, so I'd advise putting a garbage dump in the corner of your stockpile, and every now and again quantum stockpiling via the stocks menu.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:56:45 am »

Refuse > body parts.

It will also include horns, skulls, hooves and a couple of other things. Some of the parts can't be used, so I'd advise putting a garbage dump in the corner of your stockpile, and every now and again quantum stockpiling via the stocks menu.

Will that cause miasma though?

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:59:13 am »

No. None of the items will rot.

(or at least, none have for me so far).

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:21:05 am »

I'm pretty sure I've seen nervous tissue, cartilage, and some creature remains turn rotten and eventually disappear, but none of them have ever produced miasma.  This is a bug that will be fixed soon, so don't count on being able to have miasma-free indoor refuse stockpiles from long.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 11:23:19 am »

Q: How do I get a pile of bones?

A: Elven caravan.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 12:22:34 pm »

In every fort I make an indoor stockpile for just bones, shells and skulls. Outdoor is a normal refuse stockpile that prohibits bones, shells and skulls.

Then you never lose the bones on the season change and you don't have to worry about miasma inside.

The settings menu for stockpiles allows you to be very specific about what goes in them. For bones/shells/skulls just make a refuse pile and then in the settings menu forbid all three categories under the refuse section (Item Types, Corpses, Body Parts) and then re-enable just bones, shells and skulls in the Item Types category. For the outside stockpile leave everything enabled and then go and disable just the bones/shells/skulls.

I also sometimes enable fresh raw hide for the indoor stockpile if I have an active tanner.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 12:26:33 pm »

In every fort I make an indoor stockpile for just bones, shells and skulls. Outdoor is a normal refuse stockpile that prohibits bones, shells and skulls.
This is no longer possible in DF2010.  Bones, shells, and skills no longer have their own categories on the refuse stockpile selection screen.  You have to make a stockpile for 'body parts', which will also collect cartilage and hair and other useless material.

Q: How do I get a pile of bones?

A: Elven caravan.
Also no longer possible in DF2010.  The bodies of dead elves rot to produce elf skeletons.  Skeletons need to be butchered to be made into usable bones, and elf skeletons can't be butchered because you can't butcher the remains of sentient creatures.  You can butcher their pack animals and any non-sentient creatures they've brought for trade, but the days of elf bone bolts seem to be over.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 12:27:23 pm »

I just create multiple very large refuse and graveyard stockpiles. I make them the full 30x30 dimension, or as close to it as the natural terrain will allow. They're all underground so bones never rot away, and with 5-6 of these maximum size stockpiles I have a gigantic amount of storage space for things.

Yes there can be miasma underground, but thats fine. The stockpiles are well away from anything anyways, so its rare any dwarves will be touched by the miasma.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:39:30 pm »

This is no longer possible in DF2010.  Bones, shells, and skills no longer have their own categories on the refuse stockpile selection screen.  You have to make a stockpile for 'body parts', which will also collect cartilage and hair and other useless material.
I stand corrected. Did you mean 'remains' though?

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 12:40:42 pm »

No, it's definately body parts.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 01:33:40 pm »

No, it's definately body parts.

Ah so you have to leave the entire category enabled now? Does that mean you get chunks or are those gone also?

I guess I need to just play through the new version more. I've been waiting for the merge to get my zooming and resizing back.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 02:30:42 pm »

Body parts seem to be the replacement for chunks now that the tissues are defined.

For miasma control, use diagonals as the only entrances into an underground refuse stockpile (it won't spread diagonally) or put a couple of doors a few tiles apart for an airlock.  If you care about the miasma that is. 

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 02:41:53 pm »

You mean I can no longer get +Elf Bone Bolts+ from those pointy eared Nancys?  They are just lucky they've been bringing more animals than 40d.  In 40d the bone bolts were the only thing they ever brought me.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 04:00:03 pm »

Do sliced up body parts rot to skeletons as well or do they go straight to bones?  I haven't noticed because the butcher animal command is automatic.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: [1] 2