Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shadow of the Armok  (Read 3906 times)

Dalndox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shadow of the Armok
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:33:26 am »

I'd like to apologize first off. I've been lurking a lot, but only recently decided to register so that I could request something. This is my first topic here, so please excuse me if I mess something up. Thank you.

First, The Story.
I first got in to Dwarf Fortress about a month or two before DF2010, so I'm still fairly new to the whole thing. I think the best thing I ever did with the previous version was to make Tentacle Demons in to a playable race for both Dwarf and Adventure mode (lots of fun, too). I was excited with the new prospects of modding when I heard about the materials system for DF2010. The thought of making Eldritch horrors was very exciting.

The Reality.
Upon the release of DF2010, I came to a horrifying realization. The raw files are absolutely incredible. I tried putting Tentacle Demons back in, to no avail, so I decided to just sit and wait for a modding guide or something. I have already come to the conclusion that I won't really be seeing one of those for some time.

The Idea.
I was tooling around in the arena, when an idea hit me. Yes, there are Bronze Colossi, but what about Colossi? MASSIVE wandering graveyards of flesh and stone, conquerable by only the mightiest of warriors. 15 unique beasts, raining destruction and doom wherever they wander. Heck, you could even create a new disease that curses anyone who happens to slay one of these megabeasts.

The Details.
I originally thought of the idea shortly before the release of DF2010 while looking at the size categories of certain creatures. Originally, Dorfs had size categories of 6, while a Bronze Colossi had a size category of 20. Considering Tentacle Demons had a category of 12, this seemed a little odd to me. If a Dwarf is, let's say... 4 feet tall, that would make a Tentacle Demon 8ft tall, and a Bronze Colossi roughly 15ft tall. Big, yes, but hardly COLOSSUS worthy. The new system, I think, would allow a much greater height range than it originally did.

The Attempt:
I originally attempted to create Valus, the First Colossi, using my limited knowledge of the raw system. It worked well at first. However, it was fleshy (and easily stabbed) and its power did not scale to its height. It was easily defeated by Bronze Colossi that were half its height. I even tried making it out of solid granite. Eventually, for some reason, it was no longer capable of standing or holding anything, so I gave up then.

The Request:
Once again, I apologize for registering and quickly jumping to these requests, but I think the creation of these would be a spectacular endeavor. If anyone is willing to help me make these for DF2010, I will be eternally grateful. The idea of my Dwarves (attempting) to fight a Colossi that has wandered in to the area is just too much to bear! If anyone would be willing to tackle this colossal (no pun intended) task, please let me know.

The Sources:
Quadratus, the Second Colossus
Gaius, the Third Colossus
Phalanx, the 13th Colossus.

The End Note:
I am a massive fan of Shadow of the Colossus. Any questions/details on this I will probably be able to answer. It is mostly my lack of knowledge on the DF2010 system that has prevented this idea from coming to fruition. That is why I am begging for your help. Thanks again for putting up with me long enough to read this.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow of the Armok
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:34:30 am »

Well, to get you started, just take the bronze colossus, change the bronze to granite, and multiply their size a bit, like thus:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: One thing to note is that now with the new raws, the BC is like 300 times taller than an adult dwarf... This colossus is 600 times taller :D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:36:53 am by Intelligent Shade of Blue »
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:58:55 am »

Actually these guys are what I think of when I see a bronze colossus. I want to add more variants but do not dare yet, seeing how powerful they are and being not sure that players of my mod will love them killing all their dwarves...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dalndox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:13:58 pm »

Well, to get you started, just take the bronze colossus, change the bronze to granite, and multiply their size a bit, like thus:

EDIT: One thing to note is that now with the new raws, the BC is like 300 times taller than an adult dwarf... This colossus is 600 times taller :D

I considered doing that, but the Colossi from SotC are not made entirely of stone. They are flesh and stone, and some weird black substance comes out when they are stabbed.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:12:14 pm »

Oops.. Haven't actually played the game before, so forgive my ignorance. That actually wouldn't be TOO hard to implement. I've had success giving regular creatures skin and bone of odd materials, so it would be a matter of determining what you want the skin/muscles/bones etc. to be. Then, the black blood or whatever could be made using a new material template and then just putting it where regular blood usually is.

I probably would start with the human, make em big and immune to a bunch of stuff like the BC, exchange some materials for stone, and then make the black stuff and stick it in their veins. The blood could transfer a syndrome like that curse you were talking about, so people who stab the colossus get cursed by the blood.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 01:16:47 pm »

Just as an example of switching out materials, here's part of my uber dwarf creature raw, who has steel bones and alcohol for blood (relevant parts bolded):

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:20:40 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

Dalndox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 09:16:21 pm »

Creating Colossi like Valus, Gaius. and Argus won't be the hard parts, really.

I'm talking more along the lines of Phalanx, Dirge and Kuromori (who can shoot a cloud of poison).

If anyone can maybe try one of these, that'd be awesome. As soon as I get back from my trip I'll be attempting them again myself.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 10:06:26 pm »

Ooh, I like this idea. But a world full of these things is gonna be a little scary. Make them able to breed and we've got trouble.

We need some arenas made to be suitable for fighting these things in, and Dirge would be even nastier than he was in SotC. Arena mode needs sand. And battling Phalanx and the bird is going to be brutal (especially since it's equivalent to a Giant Cave Swallow), considering they fly. Have fun jumping onto that thing sans mount or any high-top place.

Some may require similar tactics as the game had to be able to fight them. In order to succeed, we need vulnerable spots that can only be reached in adventure mode by wrestling mode and being armed with a sharp enough weapon. Fortress mode, I'm uncertain if the soldiers would be able to strike those spots repeatedly. However, nothing like overwhelming force.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:19:42 pm by Itnetlolor »

Dalndox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 10:41:10 pm »

Well, I don't expect there to be a lot of them. I was going to make each one be one of a kind (thus the difficulty) and they CERTAINLY wouldn't be able to breed.

Phalanx would definitely have incredible building destroying power. I could imagine it skating through a base, crushing everything in its path.

They're supposed to be difficult. Like the uber-boss in an RPG. :D

Pigbuster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 02:40:32 am »

I suddenly felt like taking a crack at this.

#8 - Kuromori, the Wall Shadow

I tried to get its electro-poison-lighting bolt-type projectile to work, but eventually I gave up and put in [FIREBREATH] as a compromise.

Considering a grand master everything bronze colossus armed with a slade greataxe is unable to do anything other than "shatter the granite", it might be a tad too powerful. I'm still somewhat new to the whole modding thing.

Also...

16) Malus, the Grand Gigas

I really rushed this one, but I just had to try it. It's about the size of two whales put together. The in-game description is a little odd, but oh well.

Dalndox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 10:35:02 am »

Awesome, but there's only one issue. Malus (Grand Gigas) is unable to walk as far as I can check. You should probably add the [IMMOBILE_LAND] (I think) tag to it.

Also, that was the problem I noted making the things out of pure granite. There are no organs and such, so it cannot bleed and cannot be killed. That's what makes a Bronze Colossus impossible to kill. :\

I'll give these a test myself. Thanks. :D

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 11:16:46 am »

I like how you have the description as the great voice tells you for them.

Now, if only you can get requests in Adventure Mode in similar format.

"Thy next foe is..."

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 07:12:53 pm »

not sure that players of my mod will love them killing all their dwarves...
Ha ha ha.

-

Generally body shape isn't really that tough. The non-hominid ones were still just other types of animals. Take a manta ray out of the water and multiply the appendages some and you'll be most of the way to dirge.

Effects like electricity are something I would let other people handle though. My solutions to those tend to suck.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 07:20:04 pm »

Awesome, but there's only one issue. Malus (Grand Gigas) is unable to walk as far as I can check. You should probably add the [IMMOBILE_LAND] (I think) tag to it.

Also, that was the problem I noted making the things out of pure granite. There are no organs and such, so it cannot bleed and cannot be killed. That's what makes a Bronze Colossus impossible to kill. :\

It's possible to make a creature with a "shell" of some sort of hard material and an inner body of something soft. Imagine the iron man with it's spewing yellow gas, but replace the iron with rock and grass and the yellow gas with a low boil black fluid. Should give a nice hard outer body and a nice spewy black blood.

Dalndox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 01:24:12 am »

It's possible to make a creature with a "shell" of some sort of hard material and an inner body of something soft. Imagine the iron man with it's spewing yellow gas, but replace the iron with rock and grass and the yellow gas with a low boil black fluid. Should give a nice hard outer body and a nice spewy black blood.

That is (essentially) what I was looking for. I tried doing that once, but I couldn't get the hang of it. :-\
Pages: [1] 2