Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The volcano! It's coming for us! [now! with awesome pictures!]  (Read 3419 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: The volcano! It's coming for us!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 07:45:22 am »

if man was ment to fly natural selection would have given him wings
If man wasn't meant to fly, nature would have prevented it by igniting a volca... nevermind.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 07:50:58 am »

Aaaand just in the Easter Holidays, too.  If it does last for months, we're gonna have some repatriation issues...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 11:27:29 am »

According to an NPC report, the ash may actually shred lungs. Just over the several month period when it decends from the upper atmosphere and settles down on the ground rather than immediately. Have fun.  ;)

Edit: Now that I've said that, Yellowstone will probably erupt and bury me with the rest of America under a foot of toxic ash.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 11:38:05 am »

According to an NPC report, the ash may actually shred lungs. Just over the several month period when it decends from the upper atmosphere and settles down on the ground rather than immediately. Have fun.  ;)

Edit: Now that I've said that, Yellowstone will probably erupt and bury me with the rest of America under a foot of toxic ash.
More like blow apart a quarter of the continent.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 01:15:46 pm »

Yeah, there won't be much life left on American soil if Yellowstone goes off. Hell, Europe/China will be fucked over by the giant ash cloud and tidal waves. There won't be much left in general, actually. In other news; Airports in Scotland and N.Ireland are opening certain services as the cloud of volcanic rock over them has moved further south and dispersed.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 05:09:42 pm »

According to Scotlands NHS thingy they claim that no-one should have any adverse effects from this dust, its pretty much in too small quantities to cause any serious harm. Also its just dust...

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2010, 07:07:32 pm »

Also its just dust...
OR IS IT!?

DUN DUN DUUUUN!
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2010, 07:09:58 pm »

According to Scotlands NHS thingy they claim that no-one should have any adverse effects from this dust, its pretty much in too small quantities to cause any serious harm. Also its just dust...
Glass dust is a lot more dangerous then sand dust to just name an example. Dust gets into your lungs and if those start bleeding, you're fucked.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 07:59:22 pm »

As previously stated, its basicly microscopic obsidian razorblades. Small enough to get into the tiny places in your lungs where having razorblades is bad.

Ah... Here we are: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36595264/ns/health-more_health_news/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:11:41 pm by alway »

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2010, 06:05:08 am »

Is it me or is everyone in America going "HURR HURR HURR EUROPE SUK LOL AMERICA FUR WIN!" and saying we are all going to die? what?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2010, 07:38:26 am »

Is it me or is everyone in America going "HURR HURR HURR EUROPE SUK LOL AMERICA FUR WIN!" and saying we are all going to die? what?
Because, of course, no other continents do that. Not to mention this seems like a relatively minor thing, so a little joking around is in order.

You can laugh at us when the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and the Great Atlantic Garbage Patch wash up on our shores at once.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2010, 08:47:58 am »

Because, of course, no other continents do that. Not to mention this seems like a relatively minor thing, so a little joking around is in order.

You can laugh at us when the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and the Great Atlantic Garbage Patch wash up on our shores at once.

If it washes up on the Jersey shore, will anyone notice?

I think what gets me about Eyjalongfuckingname volcano is that it was buried under a glacier when this started. Again, epic dorfness. Somebody needs to check and make sure there weren't Icelandic dwarves dumping their garbage into the magma that set off the eruption.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 10:25:53 am »

But it looks... Awesome.

There's just nothing like magma-lightning. When's Toady going to put that in?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2010, 10:42:04 am »

[...]and for a change: No contrails in the sky. They're so common it's weird not to see them...
Lack of contrails in the sky also affects global warming.  (Or, perhaps more accurately, presence of contrails does, but these days is usually the norm.)  Might be interesting for the same set of studies as were done immediately post-911 when there was a lack of flights over the US.  And with multiple days to cross-compare against the naturally changing weather systems as well, no less!

BTW, been disappointed about the sunsets around here, after all the expectation.  It's either been cloudy (medium-to-low, but 100% cover) or when it was totally blue sky (with a possibly-imagined slightly milky quality) I still somehow didn't see anything as nice as I did the previous weekend...  But then that also involved some interestingly lit contrails...  Ironically.  Including one that appeared well-placed to cast a shadow up onto a high (noctoluminescent) cloud, by the time the sun had gone far enough below the horizon.  Still wish I'd stopped and taken a photo, even though I'm sure it wouldn't have looked anything like the first-hand observation.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The volcano! It's coming for us! [now! with awesome pictures!]
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 04:52:12 pm »

My friend from work was stuck in Amsterdam for 4 days due to flight canclations.
She said there are families sleeping on the floor of the airports waiting to get home. No food or water, not even blankets to sleep under.
Apparently the local market tried to cash in on it and started selling 30 minute showers for 49€ and hotel beds for 150€ per 4 hours.

Co worker is Italian and i find it hard to understand her vmost of the time, so this may be wrong.

This shit is serious business.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4