Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground caverns and underground creatures  (Read 743 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Underground caverns and underground creatures
« on: April 15, 2010, 07:38:58 am »

I've embarked on a place with open-sided underground cavern, there are some GCSs and other funny stuff.
I won't tap HFS as long as i can so there's a question - will these open-sided caverns give me unending attacks?

Are those caverns connected into some kind of underground network and i eventually get different types of creatures like they come to land area from different sides to entertain my hunters or there is strictly bounded cavern (maybe even more than embark area but less than a small part of the world) with exhaustible population?
Finis sanctificat media.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Underground caverns and underground creatures
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:50:16 am »

You will get endless attacks.
Once you kill all of a creature underground, another group will spawn.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:59:29 am »

Aaah, great!
Finis sanctificat media.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:09:02 am »

As for whether caverns are bounded, my wanderings in adventure mode lead me to believe that there's an enormous labyrinthine cavern system stretching beneath the entire world.

SkyShadowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:05:59 am »

As for whether caverns are bounded, my wanderings in adventure mode lead me to believe that there's an enormous labyrinthine cavern system stretching beneath the entire world.
I do remember Toady stating that it is possible to go from one side of the world to the other without heading back to the surface.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:18:48 am »

Yea, it does appear that there is in fact an Underdark now. Remember, where there's an Underdark there's drow who are just as annoying as surface hippies elves but with the added annoyance of thinking they're as cool as dwarves and living underground. Of course the fact they live underground does save you a few steps if you want their village to be at the center of a magma reservoir Happy Fun Kiddie Pool
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 01:00:54 pm »

Yes, unless there is a tree in the way. A tree could stop you.