Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom civilisations causing DF to crash  (Read 614 times)

Furioso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom civilisations causing DF to crash
« on: April 15, 2010, 06:15:57 am »

I'm working on a large-scale mod with several new races - elcari and múrtani (modified dwarves), flaids (modified humans), icëlani (modified elves), ktuvoks (modified reptile men), rifters (modified tiger men), and iliu (original), as well as a slightly modified human civilisation.

The problem arises when starting a fortress.  On the site selection screen, I can see towns founded by all of these civilisations, but if I move the site box over some towns on the smallest-scale map (the one on the left) the game crashes with the message "dwarfort.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."
However:
- This only happens for human, flaid, rifter, and ktuvok settlements.  Elcarin, múrtanin, icëlan, and ilian settlements are unaffected.
- The game does not crash if the site selection screen has been set to a mode other than viewing biomes.  However, once the dwarves appear at the site, the game will crash in the same manner if I try to loo(k) at a human, flaid, rifter, or ktuvok, or view the (u)nits screen.

Code for the creatures concerned:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Furioso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom civilisations causing DF to crash
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:17:41 am »

And here's the code for the civilisations.  (It's too long for the first post.)

Anyone have any idea of what's causing the issue and why it only affects certain civilisations?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom civilisations causing DF to crash
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:55:28 pm »

There's a typo in the entity:island entry in the spheres, ISDOM instead of WISDOM.  But really that's the only thing I can spot off.  And I would be surprised if something simple like that would cause a crash.

Does your errorlog give you any useful hints?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:58:12 pm »

Also did you remove some existing stuff? Like, plants with LEAVES and other biome-related tokens? You obviously miss some important creatures, plants (trees or shrubs or growable plants) or vermin for some biomes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Furioso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:28:45 pm »

Ah, thanks  :)

I had a look at the error log and it seems that there are quite a few errors.  Some of them are simple typos; some of them are more serious.  A few have been corrected (the rifters' fingers not being attached to anything).

Errors for flaids and ktuvoks are pretty apparent.  The problems with humans are still unclear, and the same for rifters.

Here's the text (duplicate errors removed) for the sake of completeness.

Deon: I have removed quite a few creatures, almost all of them subterranean.  However, this doesn't seem to explain why errors only appear in the settlements of four particular races.  The only plant that has been changed is the mangrove, which was simply renamed "threadwood", and that after the errors first appeared...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:45:51 pm »

Lessee I see the midmap thing in my own errorlog from time to time but I don't know what it means.

Duplicate objects in my experience are good way of causing a crash, so I would check to make sure you don't have multiple Dwarf entries for languages.

Lessee, I never was very good with bodygloss, so I can't help with that.

In your ROA creature it appears the scratch attack can't find the bodypart it's trying to use in the attack.  I would make sure claws or nails or what have you are defined someplace in the creature and the bodypart they are supposed to be attached to is present.

DAMBLOCK is no longer a token, it's old job has been replaced by the materiel system.

The ICELAN color mod stuff probably needs a ":" instead of "," between the colors and numbers

Its news to me that RUIN doesn't work anymore, same with MINOR_METAL.

And ICELAN probably had their hair removed but the stuff for beard and hair growth in males weren't removed.

There we go, semi-expert analysis of your errorlog.  Most of this you probably already figured out, but maybe some of it was helpful.  Of all of it the only thing I can think of actually causing a crash instead of just acting funny is that duplicate translation dwarf thing.

(What Deon said also makes sense  I've heard of removing things that are partially hardcoded causing crashes (Things like obsidian or wagons) But I always heard those crash the game before it can do anything at all.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:53:36 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Furioso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:56:34 pm »

Thanks, Greiger.  I've now removed all of the visible errors, and they no longer show up on the error log.

But the crashing behaviour is still the same!  I tried again by generating a new region, and just as before, humans, rifter, ktuvok, and flaid settlements give crashes.
As before, I switched the mode of the site selection screen to Neighbours and managed to start a site on a flaidish town.  However, as soon as I loo(k)ed at a flaid, the whole thing crashed very suddenly.  This is vexing  ???

Whatever it is, it seems to be causing a fairly major problem, not just strange behaviour.  The program itself really doesn't like it.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 06:12:36 pm »

the crashing error was more likly to be the:
Duplicate Object: translation DWARF
this is a serius one wich makes random crashes, and bizarry made worlds (eg. reported: you could have a lizard(vermin) civilisation with thet error)
after correcting you need to regen the world too
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 06:19:59 pm »

Actually once I had a creature which was a copy of another creature (in 40d) and it caused a crash for no reasons. If I changed its ID and some stats it was working properly but if I placed everything back it caused a crash again... Something weird happened.

So I advise you to start to add things to vanilla again part by part and see when the crash starts to appear.

However, this doesn't seem to explain why errors only appear in the settlements of four particular races.
It does. There's a chance that your races try to use some material/pet/plant and they cannot find a suitable one in their biome which leads to a crash.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Furioso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 06:28:26 am »

Ah, that was it!  I finally sorted out the duplicate language names and it works now.  Just started a fortress on a volcano and waiting for the rifters to turn up...