Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My first uninvited guest... [spoilerish]  (Read 2685 times)

Enola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first uninvited guest... [spoilerish]
« on: April 15, 2010, 05:19:49 am »

So I was happily playing the newest version of DF, assigning orders and generally trying to carve out a nice mountainhome for my dwarves. I didn't have any military (nor any weapons, for that matter), as the massive amount of cage traps in front of my fortress would catch anything and the few that could move past those traps would be torn to shreds by my war pigs.

I never ever encountered a megabeast or anything like that before and wasn't expecting one to come to me. So I was quite... surprise when I saw the announcement that such a legendary monster entered my area. No weapons, no military, the monster already too close to my entrance to try and draft my dwarves with some quickly made weapons... so I just thought to myself "well crap..." and hoped that the warpigs would be enough (not that they're that strong, but I have a lot...).

Well, let me tell you, the outcome was surprising.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
Re: My first uninvited guest... [spoilerish]
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 05:31:43 am »

Let me think.

Peasant cancels make post: interrupted by brain.
Peasant has entered a fey mood!

I know, make a zoo and put the cyclops in there! He will be mocked by all dwarfkind! If that won't work, there's always the classic gladiator arena where you put hapless thieves/goblins to fight with the cyclops.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 05:34:18 am »

Sell it to the elves!

Train it!

Put it in a pit to make an execution pit!

The possibilities are endless.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Enola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:05:05 am »

Yea, execution pit sounds like fun. Though what creatures would it attack? Only stuff I got so far caged are 15 unicorns, 3 ground hogs and 4 buzzards and somehow I don't think that it would attack these.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 06:06:27 am »

open up the
and stick in him for the lols
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:26:09 am »

Yea, execution pit sounds like fun. Though what creatures would it attack? Only stuff I got so far caged are 15 unicorns, 3 ground hogs and 4 buzzards and somehow I don't think that it would attack these.
When the gobbos and elves come, those are the meat for your cyclops butcher.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Enola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 08:49:33 am »

Hm, I'm rather new to this stuff... how would I go about getting the elves to meet with my newly found "friend"?

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 09:05:20 am »

Drop it in magma. Time how long it survives.

rhuntar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 09:32:03 am »

My first forgotten beast was the first sort of any mega beast i've ever encountered.  I assigned my military squad to engage and then waited.  My sherriff fell to the 3 eyed tarantula, and just as the beast was heading up the staircase straight for the center of my fortress, military squad hopelessly far away...

a dog started fighting the beast on the staircase.  and the beast dodged.... straight down my well.

far easier than I was expecting... although no way to butcher his corpse...

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 09:54:45 am »

A giant tarantula... dodged... and fell down the well...

That is simply hilarious...

As for what to do with cyclops... I'd go for the arena idea. Make a large sealed off area, set a load of cages up there, link them all to a lever outside the arena. When you're ready, wall in whatever entrance you used (note: a door may not be enough), then pull the lever, letting all the creatures roam free.

You should find yourself looking at a neat little brawl.

Laiska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:20:52 am »

my first unin...honored quest came from the caverns and headed straight to my unlucky lads. i had about the same situation as you. The hastily drafted military had one copper axe to go around. and the woodcutter that had it decided to hang around the meeting area, waiting while others were eaten... once the *thing* was done with the wrestlers he came up to the axedwarf (who was pretty miserable seeing 15 friends die in a instant) and got it's head chop clean off. last 3 dwarfs went into bad mood stuff, and game decided i dont need expedition leaders or arsenal dwarf or anything with the tag "noble" in it (a bug i quess). abandon, and reroll.
This is a stack of 21 well-prepared creeping eye intestines roast. The ingredients are well-minced prepared creeping eye heart, minced creeping eye meat, minced creeping eye meat and minced prepared creeping eye intestines.

... Could i have some wine with that?

Enola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 11:22:13 am »

Looks like my fortress is getting quite a bit of attention. In none of my previous fortresses I had any of that stuff and now there's the second one in the very same fortress. My animal stockpile's getting filled with unicorns, goblins and wolves and those two "guests". Just thought I'd place all cages into a single arena and let them all free at the same time and see what happens, heh.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 11:25:48 am »

A giant tarantula... dodged... and fell down the well...

That is simply hilarious...

It only had three eyes, you see. Couldn't see the well.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 11:54:54 am »

My first forgotten beast was the first sort of any mega beast i've ever encountered.  I assigned my military squad to engage and then waited.  My sherriff fell to the 3 eyed tarantula, and just as the beast was heading up the staircase straight for the center of my fortress, military squad hopelessly far away...

a dog started fighting the beast on the staircase.  and the beast dodged.... straight down my well.

The itsy bitsy spider...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 01:12:11 pm »

What do you mean "no way"? Is this DF or isn't it?
Pages: [1] 2