Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do these people get laid?  (Read 6086 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: How do these people get laid?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 08:39:12 am »

Disclaimer: The linked pictures should be safe for work since they are "art". Anyway since the USA and other countrys are infamous on being very restrictive on naked skin i advice you to not klick on any links if you are at work, children are around or if you are under 18/21.

Thought the attractivity model evolved slowly (breast size increased for example) if you look at some old Greece statues like the venus of Milo or the venus of Esquilin The Venus of urbino is also medieval example that supports my point here. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 11:33:49 am »

The answer, of course, is Darwinistic.
I read that as Dwarvinistic:D.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 11:42:55 am »

The answer, of course, is Darwinistic.
I read that as Dwarvinistic:D.

Me too. And I keep reading it as such, willingly so.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 11:52:53 am »

The problem, like I was saying, is that the descriptions essentially create caricatures, of a sort, because they only mention the things that are outside the norm to some degree, and even then, you're going to exaggerate them in your head, because normally if someone actually mentions a physical feature in normal conversation, it's because it's relatively noticeable/extreme.

For instance, a lot of people have "close-set eyes", but you'd never really pick up on it specifically. However, reading "has somewhat close-set eyes" makes you think of it as some sort of strange abnormality, because you naturally consider something like that to be a strange anomaly if it's actually getting mentioned somewhere, since normally we don't really mention physical features unless they're outliers or extremely apparent.
I get that, but when I read things like "extremely" and "grotesquely" over and over in the same description...
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 11:56:02 am »

I get that, but when I read things like "extremely" and "grotesquely" over and over in the same description...

The genetics system should cause the dwarves to average out over time. Maybe they are all set to be extremes in a young world?

Water Hazard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 03:11:42 pm »

The genetics system should cause the dwarves to average out over time. Maybe they are all set to be extremes in a young world?

Long term genetic trends do not create homogeneous populations though. Genes are discrete particles. For all we know the "hooked nose" gene might be modeled in DF as a single-gene that's recessive. This seems more likely than a more realistic modeling which would have to account for the thousands of genes necessary in body formation, and explains why the physical-feature gradient is seemingly exaggerated.

Even in the real world though, genetics don't cause horribly homogeneous populations. People have all types of noses, you probably just don't notice if they are hooked or not unless they are REALLY hooked.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 06:43:13 pm »

ther are other things than looks
i.e. if you shear a intrest or two.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 07:14:23 pm »

You forget that they mate via spores.  There is no choice involved.  They are stuck for life with the first ugly person their spores stick to.  Then the baby grows from the woman's beard.  Imagine how much they get jostled around in there.  A few broken bones at birth and they're screwed for life with their "crooked nose" and "lopsided smile."

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 07:20:05 pm »

ther are other things than looks
i.e. if you shear a intrest or two.
I'm not saying physical appearance should be the entirety of this, I'm just saying there should be a tendency for more physically attractive people to pass on their genes slightly more often.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 09:00:08 pm »

I don't think everyone should be beautiful/ugly, but I think the average person should be somewhat attractive, a smaller group ugly, and an even smaller group beautiful.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 09:53:45 pm »

Hi!

Frankly, I don't think the original argument itself makes sense as real life data does not in the least confirm this (otherwise, there would have been no plastic surgeons around making a lot of money from people who don't really need surgery). So, I don't really support where that would be heading.

Deathworks

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 10:46:35 pm »

I don't think everyone should be beautiful/ugly, but I think the average person should be somewhat attractive, a smaller group ugly, and an even smaller group beautiful.
This.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 11:41:08 pm »

Flavorwise, I find it within the norm of fantasy for dwarves to be ugly on average. However, I suspect there will be a demand for mods that substantially increase the beauty of human/elven adventurers, and a significant feature of later mods will be the more attractive player or antagonist races offered.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 12:38:32 am »

Also and honestly

This is a hooked nose not full blow leprocy.

Plus people more or less during this period got married the same way people get jobs... (I may have to look it up.... but there was less romance involved)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 12:53:54 am »

I believe dwarves can be beautiful too. but the whole mating is more likely with beautiful people over ugly people is ridiculous and likely a conclusion of the immature. There are billions of people on earth and I'm pretty sure more than 40% of them came from "ugly" people.

There's this thing, not everyone understands it. It's called love. Love defies pretty much all things in life; feuds, genetics, nationalities, common sense.

I think my wife is "beautiful" though she may not pass as the subject of a great artist. I wouldn't either. but I love her and she has a most wonderful personality.

especially in medieval times, people married and had offspring for reasons other than attraction and compatibility. It was used as a bargaining tool and a peace making tool. The two people involved may not be pretty, or even like each other and yet they still had children. madness.

And we haven't even touched unwanted children (accidents, rapes, etc.) and I really dont think we should touch on that subject.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966
Pages: 1 [2] 3