Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digging in dirt  (Read 565 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Digging in dirt
« on: August 04, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »

Apart from a source of elephant invasions and wood, and a deployment area for invading armies, the patch of "outdoors" outside the fortress hasn't been all that useful to the dwarves. With a z-axis involved, I imagine this will change though.

Imagine the earthworks, ambush tunnels etc. you can build! Especially combined with the explosives mentioned in another thread.

The question that comes to mind though is whether digging in dirt should be similar to digging in rock. I wouldn't imagine it possible to dig out a 6x6 room in the dirt and expect it to stay up by itself. This connects to my thread about material strengths as well.

I imagine a good way to solve it, if you have earth walls, would be to have an option to "shore up" earth walls, just like you can detail cavern ones. And if you don't, they'll deterioate just like a dirt road, causing cave ins (albeit smaller ones and sooner than cave ones).

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging in dirt
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 04:34:00 pm »

Or hold them up with supports.

But this gives another (nice) option.

Perhaps a dwarf could pass over a piece of dirt with a hole underneath it, but would an elephant be able to?

It'd probably collapse, trapping the elephant in the pit, a bit of nyce pointy things at the bottom, and hey presto, trap hunting.

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks