Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effects of age and reproduction  (Read 1044 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Effects of age and reproduction
« on: April 14, 2010, 10:25:23 pm »

I am just curious because I know not everything can reproduce and I also know not everything has an age limit...if everything were given age limits and the ability to reproduce (perhaps even Mega Beasts) How would this affect the world gen and general game play? I know the things that CANT reproduce usually dont get attacked by other things (eg antmen) and would possibly swarm (hence an age limit)...anyone tried this before? THERE IS A GLOW OPTION! (yeah I just figured that out lol)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Effects of age and reproduction
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:43:09 pm »

Even with age limits, creatures can and will use the ability to reproduce to reliably pump out kids until they or their spouse die. There may be other factors, but that's the main one.

However, this is mitigated by deaths in combat and - for civilized creatures = the upper limits of the civ and world population caps set in the entity_default and world gen parameters. Wild creatures may be exempt from this, but limited by geographic/biome capacity.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:51:30 pm »

I wonder bout non reproducing animals as well...are they just generated in huge numbers at world gen and...that is that? or are they spawned when you embark (perhaps pulled from a limited pool of so many thousand possible)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 11:41:16 pm »

I wonder bout non reproducing animals as well...are they just generated in huge numbers at world gen and...that is that? or are they spawned when you embark (perhaps pulled from a limited pool of so many thousand possible)

I think non-reproducing creatures are a set number, but there's enough spread out to keep them a reliable occurrence/draw from off-site for a while.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:49:16 pm »

In vanilla elves and goblins both don't have age limits, possibly in reference to Tolken.  As Warlord225 said that are kept in check by combat deaths and the civ upper pop limit.

I've done some experimenting with non-reproducing creatures.  In 40d it was possible.  In 2010 it is much harder, since world gen lasts much longer now, and megabeasts seem to automatically win any history battles they are involved in, meaning they tend to pick the "immortals" off one by one, resulting in civ extinction.

I was under the impression that world gen didn't track non-civ non-(semi)megabeast populations, ie, an immortal deer wouldn't be noticed by world gen.

I believe local pops of animals are created at embark.  I believe that populations are handled on a per-embark point basis, ie if you kill enough of one animal they won't spawn on your map anymore, but if you embark someplace else later on the "extinct" creatures from your previous fort are no longer "extinct."  But I'm pulling this from a hazy understanding of how 40d worked, so who knows if this is still (or was ever) true.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)