Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Depot Quality  (Read 979 times)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Depot Quality
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:05:39 pm »

Set a "Depot Room". build an "unloading platform", which can be set like a bedroom et cetera.

The more the bling, the more they bring. Also, intimidation bonus.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Depot Quality
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:53:12 pm »

Depots do have a quality, I even had a masterwork Depot once.  Of course, it has no bearing on anything, besides some more happy thoughts.  So yes, this idea sounds interesting.  As long as we can still place Depots outside.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:15:12 pm »

Yeah, like having an engraver engrave the floor of a stone depot, and having a gem setter set gems in the depot.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:28:38 am »

I'm mostly trying to justify building a trade depot out of solid gold.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 02:39:08 am »

I'm mostly trying to justify building a trade depot out of solid gold.
or clownite
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

TheDancinZerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 02:44:54 am »

or build the depot out of elf bones, that will make them think twice when they reject wooden goods...

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:12:08 am »

Getting them to think once would already be quite a progress.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:19:24 am »

Depots do have a quality, I even had a masterwork Depot once.  Of course, it has no bearing on anything, besides some more happy thoughts.  So yes, this idea sounds interesting.  As long as we can still place Depots outside.

I always used to build a temporary depot right next to the waggon when I started playing. In one fort, this was the very first action I took. It was a double masterwork (both archtecture and masonry).

Needless to say, I did not tear it down.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 05:19:31 am »

If the thing was encrusted with gems, chances are, the guards or the traders themselves would try to steal some.

I don't much care for this. Pretentious displays shouldn't be required to establish strong trade.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:00:12 am by Pilsu »

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:44:34 am »

If the thing was encrusted with gems, chances are, the guards or the traders themselves would try to steal some.

I don't much care for this, pretentious displays shouldn't be required to establish strong trade.

How about if you have a dozen marksdwarves station on crenallations around the edge of the trade depot?  ;D

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:51:28 am »

I don't much care for this. Pretentious displays shouldn't be required to establish strong trade.
Required? No. But pretentious displays seem to be common for diplomatic relations, and trading is the only form of diplomatic relation in the game at present.

That, and I want an excuse for pretentious displays in DF.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 07:29:42 pm »

No, but they should encourage the visiting trader to overcharge your dwarfs. You have tons of wealth, right?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 07:42:19 pm »

No, but they should encourage the visiting trader to overcharge your dwarfs. You have tons of wealth, right?
Which means that we'll be able to buy a large quantity of your stuff, so bring a whole town's worth of wood in wagons. And if you overcharge us? You might lose one of your most profitable customers.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 05:06:24 am »

That, and I want an excuse for pretentious displays in DF.

Like the lack of reason has ever stopped anyone from making stupid and showy things before. We even have a name or two for it.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 06:06:18 am »

All you need is a shaft to magma, a trade depot just large enough to cover the hole, and a miner to demolish it once the elves reach it and unload their goods.

In theory, at least. Dunno if depots can be built in empty air the way bridges and floors can.

Seriously, though, I just want a "Mark for trade" feature with corresponding Trade Goods Stockpile. But welcoming elves to a dark room with the Trade Depot surrounded by logs would be nice.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:08:08 am by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore
Pages: [1] 2