Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exit from embark screen.  (Read 816 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Exit from embark screen.
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:57:09 pm »

I did a quick search, but I didn't see anything like this. Pardon me if I missed something.

Anyway, I would like the ability to return to the title screen once you are on the embark screen without having to make a new fort then quit the fort. There can be several reasons for wanting to do so; you could not like the world and want to generate a new one, or you could decide you didn't want to make a new fort after all, and would rather go play adventure mode. With the current setup, once you get to the embark screen you hit the point of no return, where you either have to make a new fort or forcibly exit the program.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exit from embark screen.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:06:08 pm »

Indeed, I heartily second this.  It is something that was present in the last version, and is conspiciously absent from this one.

It might be a good thing in the sense that it discourages OCD style perfect-site-prospecting, but i think its mainly just a frustration not being able to abort an embark.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:22:04 pm »

Here here!
I regen if I cant find an embark for nano fortress some thing like:

R_V

R - River/Brook
_ - nothing
V - Volcanoe
all with sand  8)
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:23:25 am »

The inability to return to the menu screen from the embark screen is why I make a backup copy of the save folder once the region is done generating.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 08:29:49 am »

I did a quick search, but I didn't see anything like this. Pardon me if I missed something.

Anyway, I would like the ability to return to the title screen once you are on the embark screen without having to make a new fort then quit the fort. There can be several reasons for wanting to do so; you could not like the world and want to generate a new one, or you could decide you didn't want to make a new fort after all, and would rather go play adventure mode. With the current setup, once you get to the embark screen you hit the point of no return, where you either have to make a new fort or forcibly exit the program.

This is especially infuriating when you find great site, but you forgot to check nearby civilizations (it is not really good to discover 5 years after embark that you will indeed never be sieged by goblins or that you will never recieve elven/human or even dwarven caravan).

Or that fact that you can't re-pick your civilization.

Also, i will use this opportunity to share my pet issue: when i manually resize embark rectangle and move to another square, rectangle is back to its config size.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:47:50 am »

I concur. There should be a back button.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:37:24 am »

_ - nothing

Well there's your problem.  DF doesn't have "nothing" tiles.

And it's going to be crazy uncommon to get a volcano (it's a mountain, remember?) next to a river.

You're better off using that tool that someone made to continuously gen worlds until it finds a match to your criteria.