Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Material Breath Attacks and Syndrome materials.  (Read 1076 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Material Breath Attacks and Syndrome materials.
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:19:35 pm »

Spoiler: The material (click to show/hide)
Code: (The breath attack) [Select]
[MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LL_FLAREPIE:LIQUID_GLOB]
Here's the problem:  The attack just hits the target (in testing, a few elves and dwarves, always one on one), bruises it, and does nothing else.  The stuff is supposed to catch fire, too, but it doesn't; maybe a fixed temp for the template material will solve that - if not by making the stuff catch fire, then by setting other things on fire.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Material Breath Attacks and Syndrome materials.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:51:15 pm »

would the Syndrome be in the creature?
And I believe setting it to have an ignite point and either room temp will let it burn but I doubt it will do any harm as it will be a room temp fire (which in life is impossible but DF has its own magic)

so I guess adding a FIXED_TEMP like 14000 with an ignite point at room temp or a little less should result in your custard striking something, then increaseing in temp, bursting into flame, if it fails to burn it will super heat the creature and items and do a strange kind of spit-ible magma custard

but this is only a theory, as I am still in the process of learning the new raws hope you can crack this open.

And how do you get a creatrue to use a custom breath attack?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:06:15 pm »

would the Syndrome be in the creature?
Yes, it is.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:32:03 pm »

1) Temperatures are a little wonky right now. Making a very cold material breath is possible, but unless I missed something in 31_03 making a very hot or fiery material breath may have to wait a couple bug releases.

2) Liquid globs appear to act like solid globs at the moment, and solid globs don't spread contaminants, so attaching a syndrome to them isn't going to be very useful. Consider a trailing vapor flow instead.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:34:25 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:25:50 pm »

Hot breath is possible.  Just set steel as a vapor or gas trailing flow.  That stuff will light up everything within 5 tiles in all directions.  Adamantine would probably be even worse.

From what I've messed around with temperatures, and finally being given a functional cold breath it seems like the materiel state temperatures have more to do with the temperature of a breath attack than any fixed temp on the materiel.

A vapor breath seems to use a temperature someplace between the melting point and the boiling point.  A gas breath uses a temperature above the boiling point.  Vapor breaths however seem to transfer temperature more reliably, since they create a contaminant.

Solid_glob though I have no idea how it would work, but I don't think it will, since the materiel ceases to exist after hitting unless it stops over open air.  And Liquid_glob unfortunately appears to behave exactly like solid glob in all observable cases.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:54:11 pm »

Maybe not the best place to ask...but with the breath attacks I have only seen one...and it hit everyone in the area and more importantly it hit the creature that expelled it every time...seems very counter productive

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:53:27 pm »

Creatures often hit themselves with their own breath attacks.  For the most part, a creature must be immune to the effects of its own breath weapons, using tags such as [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER], [FIXED_TEMP:], [WEBIMMUNE], and [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE::].
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:11:15 pm »

Okay.  So if I want the custard pie breath attack, and I want custard pies to potentially be picked up, I just give it two breath attacks, one TRAILING_VAPOR and one SOLID_GLOB?

And I suppose it'd be better if I put off making it catch fire for now, seeing as how that only doesn't work from bug-related stuff.
Just so I remember