Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tweaking the Combat Report Screen's colors  (Read 337 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Tweaking the Combat Report Screen's colors
« on: April 14, 2010, 05:43:19 pm »

The coloring system now works pretty well, but I think it could be improved to increase readability and scanning. Colors in the combat reports should, whenever possible, match the color of the injuries shown using the unit view mode. It already sort of does this. Vomit-related things are green, unconsciousness is white, ect.... but others don't match.

Detailed strikes make up majority of the entries, and those are all cast in gray, whether bone has been broken, nerves have been damaged or parts have been severed. Those entries could be colorized to match the wound that's being caused. That would make it easier to run over a few hundred lines of reports and quickly get a sense of how things went.

Secondly, assigning each side in a combat report a color would break up some of the monotony and make things easier to read, I think. Have it assign the team color in Arena mode, and perhaps blue (for dwarves) red (for not dwarves and hates you) and gray (neutral not dwarves) in Fortress Mode.

So I imagine it looking something like....

Dark Gnome 5 slashes Ogre 3 in the lower body from behind with his large bronze dagger bruising the muscle and bruising the guts through the large mountain gnome leather leggings.
Ogre 10 bashes Dark Gnome 7 in the head with his lead maul, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull the through the brain and tearing apart the brain!
The lead maul is lodged firmly in the wound!
Dark Gnome 7 has been knocked unconscious!
Ogre 10 collides with Dark Gnome 7!
Dark Gnome 7 is knocked over and tumbles backward!
Dark Gnome 7 has been struck down.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti