Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I like books, but I don't like debts, and bugger, I'm a lazy bastard!  (Read 2910 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: I like books, but I don't like debts, and bugger, I'm a lazy bastard!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 09:21:15 pm »

You have to pay at libraries?!?!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 09:21:24 pm »

Declare personal bankruptcy. Burn down the library. Become a drifter, always on the run. Forge ID, assume new identity. Convince the librarian you are illiterate, and they made a clerical error. Dazzle the librarian with your dance moves. Show up and cry until they waive the charges. Do some work, pay off the debt.

You possess a plethora of options.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:26:29 pm by kinseti »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 10:39:14 pm »

Just buy them some new books to replace the mangled ones. That'll totally work, amirite?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 06:18:37 am »

Just buy them some new books to replace the mangled ones. That'll totally work, amirite?

One problem, they always stamp into THEIR libary books, the first thing they do is check that and then you'll be in real trouble when they get down on your throat even though they have new books.

Oh, and to the OP it's your fault, should've taken them back earlier AND you seem very scared at taking any kind of small action to rectify this mistake.
So either:
A) Grow some balls (as said before)
b) Actually do something or
C) Live underground with your computer moaning about how you still have to pay a fee
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 03:36:56 pm »

Your library more than likely has a maximum of $20 fines. Even though the system may say $200, you only have to give them $20 and it will clear it all.

Just walk in and, without letting them know who you are, ask if they have such a cap. If the librarian says they do not have a cap, walk away. If they do have a cap then your all good. Pay it, and you can go to the library again.

You can probably drop the other two books in the drop box while you are there either way.

No, nothing horrible will happen to you. My brother had a similar amount of fines once. The librarian just laughed and said no more. He did have to pay the $20 though.

Everyone else in this thread is kidding. No library will ever do anything horrible to you. Worst you could get is a scolding from some old lady, and we all have had plenty of those before.  ::)
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 04:17:32 pm »

Your library more than likely has a maximum of $20 fines. Even though the system may say $200, you only have to give them $20 and it will clear it all.

Just walk in and, without letting them know who you are, ask if they have such a cap. If the librarian says they do not have a cap, walk away. If they do have a cap then your all good. Pay it, and you can go to the library again.

You can probably drop the other two books in the drop box while you are there either way.

No, nothing horrible will happen to you. My brother had a similar amount of fines once. The librarian just laughed and said no more. He did have to pay the $20 though.

Everyone else in this thread is kidding. No library will ever do anything horrible to you. Worst you could get is a scolding from some old lady, and we all have had plenty of those before.  ::)

Twenty dollars?

This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier. This is a lie, you sir are a lier.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:19:33 pm by Creamcorn »
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 08:45:46 pm »

There is no other solution, however, believe what you want I guess.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 09:20:09 pm »

It helps me sleep better at night.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 01:51:49 am »

It helps me sleep better at night.

You will sleep better once the fine is gone. I guarantee it.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 10:32:48 am »

Declare personal bankruptcy. Burn down the library. Become a drifter, always on the run. Forge ID, assume new identity. Convince the librarian you are illiterate, and they made a clerical error. Dazzle the librarian with your dance moves. Show up and cry until they waive the charges. Do some work, pay off the debt.

You possess a plethora of options.

The best option is all of those at the same time. That's right, as you're buring down the library wearing a bunch of coats you found in a dumpsters (cause you're a drifter) You attempt to convince the librarian that you can't read and they made a mistake, while dancing and crying, all while putting books back on shelves.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 06:47:45 pm »

The best option is all of those at the same time. That's right, as you're buring down the library wearing a bunch of coats you found in a dumpsters (cause you're a drifter) You attempt to convince the librarian that you can't read and they made a mistake, while dancing and crying, all while putting books back on shelves.

Best. Imagery. Ever.  :D

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 02:57:54 pm »

Be a man, never turn in that book EVER.

It is the manly thing to do you silly giraffe.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 07:07:40 pm »

Leave all books and your library card (cleaned of prints of course) at the door one morning before it opens and change all contact info they have on you.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 04:37:46 am »

Four choices:
1. Turn it in and pay.
2. Ignore it. You'll get dragged off to jail, depending on how strict enforcement laws are in your place. But consider it as likely as being jailed if you graffitied the sidewalk in front of a cop.
3. Move far away.
4. Tell your parents. They might ground you, but there's a good chance they'll pay it rather than letting you go to jail.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 08:37:57 am »

You people are ridiculous. No library will ever send anyone to jail over a couple of books.
Pages: 1 [2] 3