Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I like books, but I don't like debts, and bugger, I'm a lazy bastard!  (Read 2896 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like books, but I don't like debts, and bugger, I'm a lazy bastard!
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 09:02:28 am »

But they will take one of your kidneys as compensation if you can't cough up the cash.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 07:00:20 pm »

Some libraries have a 'fine amnesty day' every now and then. Check if yours does?
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 07:15:24 pm »

Some of this advice is absolutely ridiculous but than again, this is why I love this forum.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 07:24:19 pm »

BE a man,burn the books,Rent more under an assumed name,rinse and repeat.

(really man,it's a library.they won't do jack.Just take the books back through the book return drop off.You never even have to look at a librarian.That stops the fine from growing,at least.Then man up and pay it.Then again i haven't been to a library in fifteen years,maybe they grew hardcore when i wasn't looking.)

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 06:54:34 pm »

I was in a similar situation to you when i was doing my final year of sixth form; A  mixture of plain forgetfulness and laziness meant that some of my books where overdue, and the fine had grown to £30.

So here i stood in the same situation as you, i could either forget about it, allowing my debts to accumulate, or i could take charge of my responsibilities.

Yeah, i was pretty worried, not so much over the fine, but that fact that the library had been decent enough to get these books for me (some of which where obscure and difficult to obtain etc) and the fact that it was my fault and such.

I asked for advice of course, but the best advice came of course from my mother  :-[ she told me to simply head up there apologize, explain my financial situation, be courteous, and if i had to pay the fine after that, be graceful enough to then pay it.

So i did. The librarians where easy going. I was courteous, explained my situation, apologized, thanked them and finally  joked with them, and they waived my £30 fine. Simple as that.

Obviously, i should have turned in my books at the proper date, but by sorting out the problem before it got out of hand, i prevented a worse  problem later on.

Or you could you know, just cut and run or something..
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 07:58:28 pm »

Er, won't libraries not charge you more than what it would cost to replace the book? That was my understanding, anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 08:38:18 pm »

DOnt LeT theM FooL YOU! ALL LibrARiAns aRe out TO gET yoU, DoN'T let tHEm fINd You. YOU musT bE SmarTER tHAN ThEm. Don't LEAVE youR HouSe wItHOut a KNIFE. HiDE in THe SShadows...
-yOUR frIEnd.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 09:56:34 am »

Some of this advice is absolutely ridiculous but than again, this is why I love this forum.

Says the silly man who rides on a pretty pink horse.
Pages: 1 2 [3]